Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Not starting

This is a discussion on Not starting within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Battery connections and/or cables? How about a weak battery?...

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Battery connections and/or cables? How about a weak battery?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Tx98Formula View Post
    i also realized earlier that i missed something when putting the motor/trans back in, not exactly sure what its for but the i guess drain line that come off of the top of the trans and attaches to the torque arm... yep forgot to hook that up, so looks like i'll be dropping the x-member tomorrow and hoping i can get it low enough to reach up there and hook it up..
    Must be the transmission vent hose

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

the battery is not very old.. what would happen with the starter if it was a weak battery of if the connections on the battery weren't good enough? I thought that if that was the case it would make that clicking noise..

and yeah it is the trans vent line.. hopefully i can get all that stuff done today, depending on how long i'm at work today... i hate having weekend duty!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

the battery is not very old.. what would happen with the starter if it was a weak battery of if the connections on the battery weren't good enough? I thought that if that was the case it would make that clicking noise..

and yeah it is the trans vent line.. hopefully i can get all that stuff done today, depending on how long i'm at work today... i hate having weekend duty!
    Question.....

When you removed the starter, and when you reconnected it did the small stud rotate @ all? This stud is the solenoid "trigger" stud some have an external tab under the stud with a tiny wire soldered to it, some have the wire internally.
    If the stud has rotated it could have broke the connection/wire.. This will cause the solenoid to not function.. If the larger studs rotated it can cause the internal contact ring to not make full contact.. Because over time with repeated starts the bottons of the large studs (inside where you can't see) will develope low spots. Causing intermittent or no contact @ all when the solenoid is energized and pushes the contact ring up to make contact across (completes the curcuit) the large studs..

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

i am pretty sure that the small post did NOT move at all, but i know that the gound post DID a little bit.. Not sure about the battery positive post either... Can i remove the cap on the solenoid to check that?

if any of these connections have failed would it still make the hum sound that i am hearing? or would it just comepletly kill the starter and i would be getting nothing out of it?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

i am pretty sure that the small post did NOT move at all, but i know that the gound post DID a little bit.. Not sure about the battery positive post either... Can i remove the cap on the solenoid to check that?

if any of these connections have failed would it still make the hum sound that i am hearing? or would it just comepletly kill the starter and i would be getting nothing out of it?
    Unfortunately the solenoid manufacturer was sure to make it so removing the cap would ruin the solenoid nice huh? If the small wire has broken from the small stud the solenoid will not funtion.. So if the small stud (ignition/solenoid trigger) is ok and the larger studs did move out of their original possition and the contact ring inside can't complete the curcuit YES the solenoid will hum.. In which case as we spoke of b4 you'll need a new solenoid.. The starter motor is prolly fine.. It's all pointing to the solenoid in my oppinion..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-06-2010 at 09:08 AM.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

alright, i'll start calling some parts stores around here, i'm sure no one has the solenoid in stock, but hopefully they can have it in by tomorrow, we'll see...

does it make a difference in what brand solenoid i get for it? anything that you would recommend?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

alright, i'll start calling some parts stores around here, i'm sure no one has the solenoid in stock, but hopefully they can have it in by tomorrow, we'll see...

does it make a difference in what brand solenoid i get for it? anything that you would recommend?
    Like most things you get what you pay for.. That said, I would'nt blow a wad on one either.. Because you'll quickly not like me if I'm wrong.lol Myself, I would try to find an oem replacement if possible..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

dropped the starter off at the shop today, the guy tested it before he sold me a solenoid and said the solenoid was actually good, and that its actually the drive gear or something like that inside of the starter.. They are supposed to get to it in the morning and tear it apart to make sure thats what it is, if that is what it is then should be a $60 fix, if not and i have to get a whole new starter he said that from them its only $120 instead of $175 from other places..

So today i got pretty much everything else done, all i have left is to connect the passenger side header to the y-pipe then bolt up one exhaust hanger and throw the hood on, then the car should be ready to go... hopefully...

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

dropped the starter off at the shop today, the guy tested it before he sold me a solenoid and said the solenoid was actually good, and that its actually the drive gear or something like that inside of the starter.. They are supposed to get to it in the morning and tear it apart to make sure thats what it is, if that is what it is then should be a $60 fix, if not and i have to get a whole new starter he said that from them its only $120 instead of $175 from other places..

So today i got pretty much everything else done, all i have left is to connect the passenger side header to the y-pipe then bolt up one exhaust hanger and throw the hood on, then the car should be ready to go... hopefully...
    Cool! Though I'm not sure how the drive could fail without it being on the car. But they do have a transmission of sorts. 3 planetary gears on pins @ the base of the shaft that the starter drive slides back and forth on.. The armature is actually small and has a pinion machined into the armature shaft which then spins/drives the 3 gears I mentioned, which inturn drives the main shaft..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-07-2010 at 05:07 PM.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

yeah i'm pretty sure he said that it was one of those gears your talking about, i just can't remember exactly what he said.. But when he put it on his tester he said that it kicked out the starter drive but it was slipping or weak and would be unable to spin the flexplate..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

yeah i'm pretty sure he said that it was one of those gears your talking about, i just can't remember exactly what he said.. But when he put it on his tester he said that it kicked out the starter drive but it was slipping or weak and would be unable to spin the flexplate..
    I gotcha.. I have actually seen the small planetary gears made of plastic b4 too..

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

wow thats awesome!! hopefully it will be fixed and ready to put in the car tomorrow so i can finally fire this thing up and get it out of my back yard, tired of hearing the wife complain about it!!

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

wow thats awesome!! hopefully it will be fixed and ready to put in the car tomorrow so i can finally fire this thing up and get it out of my back yard, tired of hearing the wife complain about it!!
    My friend, you have no idea... \/\/\/\/ click..

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

FINALLY Shes alive again!!!!! i got my starter back today threw it in, finished bolting up the exhaust and she fired right up!!! it felt so good to hear it... had a little bit of valve train noise for about the first minute or two but then it went away and sounds great now!!

only issue i am having now is my shifter linkage is a little off (automatic) i have to slam it into park to get park to engage, if i barelly touch the shifter it will go into reverse, when in neutral if i wiggle the shifter a little bit it will go into drive then i have to have it almost completly into the reverse spot for it to go back into neutral.. anyone have any pointers on how to adjust the linkage??

after that and i throw some brake fluid in i should be able to take it for its first drive, hopefully all goes well with that..

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Linkage could be slightly tweaked. May have to straighten something out under there. Is the shifter knob either difficult or too easy to press?

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

shifter is pretty easy to press... i was looking under there where the linkage runs through the bracket that bolts to the trans, it is kind of loose in there.. i can move it back and forth inside of that bracket, is there supposed to be something that holds it in place a little better? there were zip ties on there before, seems like there should be something better then that..

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I think this is the best pic I have of it -- probably doesn't show what you need though. Sounds like the plastic tabs on the shifter cable are broke off allowing the cable sheath to move around.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

it almost shows what i need to see.. that bracket at the very top of the picture left side of the trans that the shifter linkage runs through is what i need to see.. the linkage is just sitting in the hole cut out of that bracket, i need to know what actually holds it in place

Under your car is very clean though, it looks good!!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I believe it should look something like this

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information