Thread: Noise in rear

Black
    99 Trans Am

Noise in rear

Hi All,I have a noise in the rear of my 99 Camaro SS LS1 6 speed.It has 45000 miles.There is a noise coming from the rear that sounds like a rough bearing.I have checked the wheel bearings,pinion bearings,carrier bearings etc for roughness and all seem fine.I haven't taken anything apart because I haven't found any problems.It has a Torsen diff.Do these things make any noise as the drive normally?It

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Yes they do make noise. I would do a gear oil change with Mobil 1 75/90 synthetic gear oil ( factory recommends synthetic oil ) and a bottle of limited slip friction modifier ( there is a TSB on this ) because of a condition called " Rusty screw " noise that is part of life with an all gear Torsen diff. I would not go beyond that because with an LS1 and a T56 your 10 bolt rear was doomed from the start. Start saving for a Moser or Strange rear, it may not be today but the day is coming. Good luck.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black
    99 Trans Am

Thanks.I do have synthetic oil in there.I also have the posi additive which I will put in soon.Thank's again.

2001 CAMARO SS / Black
    2009 COLORADO V8/dk gray

Yep, 2002ssslp is rite on the money. I got the same set up in my camaro. I got racing syn rear end oil AND the posi additive, and it still makes the noise.....but now a little less. Even less when it gets warmed up. Keith, you mentioned a Moser or Strange. Would you replace just the diff and use the same housing and axles? Also, in your mention of "the day is coming" do you mean..."KABOOM"?? If yes, maybe I should stop popping the clutch between gears?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Yeah guys my 02 was making a rahh rahh rahh bearing type noise and viola guess what? It was bad! Luckily for me it was under warranty But after you change the fluid and refill with new fluid AND additive if its still making noise your probably looking at needing a new rear-end the clutches inside go bad too.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I use 85W-140 dino oil with the posi additive, and have no problems whatsoever.

SteveC

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by cruzincamaro View Post
    Yep, 2002ssslp is rite on the money. I got the same set up in my camaro. I got racing syn rear end oil AND the posi additive, and it still makes the noise.....but now a little less. Even less when it gets warmed up. Keith, you mentioned a Moser or Strange. Would you replace just the diff and use the same housing and axles? Also, in your mention of "the day is coming" do you mean..."KABOOM"?? If yes, maybe I should stop popping the clutch between gears?
    I would not put a nickle into a GM 10 bolt rear other then a gear lube change. Moser and Strange make modified 9", 12 bolt and Dana 60 rears for F-Body cars. These rears are almost bullet proof and should last the life of the car no matter how much you race or drive hard. As far as the " KABOOM " you will get an increase in rear noise and then a shutter in turns and maybe a thunk like a broken U-Joint. Either way it goes you will know it. You are going to need between 2300.00 and 2900.00 depending on which company, rear and options you choose. Good luck.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by BR427 View Post
    Hi All,I have a noise in the rear of my 99 Camaro SS LS1 6 speed.It has 45000 miles.There is a noise coming from the rear that sounds like a rough bearing.I have checked the wheel bearings,pinion bearings,carrier bearings etc for roughness and all seem fine.I haven't taken anything apart because I haven't found any problems.It has a Torsen diff.Do these things make any noise as the drive normally?It
    It might be of interest for you to read my post on the adventures I've had with a differential noise in my 2002 WS6. I updated it today so you should see it on the first page of the WS6 forum. Not saying this is your problem but maybe something in it will help.
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Why did'nt GM put 12 bolt rears in SS and WS cars. How much more would it have cost ?

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Why did'nt GM put 12 bolt rears in SS and WS cars. How much more would it have cost ?
    To save production costs, it probably would have added a substantial amount to the price. Possibly creeping up to the corvette price range(not sure on the list price for c5s new), which they couldn't have that.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    To save production costs, it probably would have added a substantial amount to the price. Possibly creeping up to the corvette price range(not sure on the list price for c5s new), which they couldn't have that.
    True! I think that was part of the reason they discontinued the Camaro`s after 02 ..they were getting close with the hp and cost and was creeping up to the vettes,,, IMO> thats why when they came out with the newer Camaros the Vettes went hp crazy and price crazy too...Its all about marketing! They easily could have made our Camaros with way more HP then 300 +-ish.. GM started to slip up when it came to the HP race against Ford and dodge/chrysler..until of late that is. The Camaro LZ1`s got some huevo`s..

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I think it would have cost another 800.00 to 1,000.00 at the most. GM orders 10's of thousands of these units and they bolt right in. You can get them in the aftermarket for 2,200.00 and they make a decent profit. Then you have to deduct the cost of the 10 bolt which is not all that different from the 12 bolt except for size and strength but they have the same type of parts. My car had a final sticker of 33,000.00 If it were 34,000.00 I do not see any difference and I could talk the dealership down from that point so it would be a wash. Also factor in all the warranty reapir costs they would have saved from 10 bolt repairs. I think It should have been an option at least. No way would this upgrade push the Camaro to Corvette territory. BTW; 2002 Corvette had an average price of 45,000.00 for the coupe - non Z06
    Last edited by 2002ssslp; 07-17-2012 at 04:30 AM.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

my mighty 76 Camaro (straight 6), 165HP, came with a 8.8 10 bolt. GO FIGURE!!!!

SteveC

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by stevec View Post
    my mighty 76 camaro (straight 6), 165hp, came with a 8.8 10 bolt. Go figure!!!!

Stevec
    go figure indeed !!!!

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    I think it would have cost another 800.00 to 1,000.00 at the most. GM orders 10's of thousands of these units and they bolt right in. You can get them in the aftermarket for 2,200.00 and they make a decent profit. Then you have to deduct the cost of the 10 bolt which is not all that different from the 12 bolt except for size and strength but they have the same type of parts. My car had a final sticker of 33,000.00 If it were 34,000.00 I do not see any difference and I could talk the dealership down from that point so it would be a wash. Also factor in all the warranty reapir costs they would have saved from 10 bolt repairs. I think It should have been an option at least. No way would this upgrade push the Camaro to Corvette territory. BTW; 2002 Corvette had an average price of 45,000.00 for the coupe - non Z06
    Well then explain to me why they didn't? I don't see any other logical explanation. Okay I wasn't sure how much they cost new. I agree it wouldn't put it in Corvette territory but it could be more than the price point they wanted and more than the average buyer for one of these cars was willing to pay for them. Us car enthusiasts are a very small group in comparison.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 07-18-2012 at 05:48 AM.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Well then explain to me why they didn't? I don't see any other logical explanation. Okay I wasn't sure how much they cost new. I agree it wouldn't put it in Corvette territory but it could be more than the price point they wanted and more than the average buyer for one of these cars was willing to pay for them. Us car enthusiasts are a very small group in comparison.
    They have used that little 7.5" rear for years and years. They hold up under normal driving conditions but when you get on them and start bolting on mods and sticky tires you will see a short life on the rear but long enough to get it out of warranty. I don't work for GM so I don't know why a 12 bolt was not put under every SS or WS6, it should have been an option. I think my math is good, it would bring up the price only 800 to 1000 dollars so you still keep a fully loaded SS or WS6 under 35k which would be 10k less then a Corvette.

Thread Information