Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

noise from front right wheel

i'm not exactly sure what this noise is. i mean...i have a couple ideas.

anyway. it's a squeeling...a lot like brakes.

it's when i apply the brakes which makes me think that it is the brakes making the noise.

but it also occurs a little bit when i downshift and i begin to slow down and also when i turn a corner at a low speed...the doesn't squeak and squeal a lot just a little bit. the majority of the noise is when i'm braking.

so this could obviously be brakes but could it also be something like a wheel bearing?

this first began when i had to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting this dumb bastard that decided to come to a complete stop at a green light.

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post

it's when i apply the brakes which makes me think that it is the brakes making the noise.

but it also occurs a little bit when i downshift and i begin to slow down and also when i turn a corner at a low speed...the doesn't squeak and squeal a lot just a little bit. the majority of the noise is when i'm braking.

so this could obviously be brakes but could it also be something like a wheel bearing?

this first began when i had to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting this dumb bastard that decided to come to a complete stop at a green light.
    I would take your wheel off and check it out. It could be your brakes or like you said your wheel bearing. When you take your wheel off, spin the hub and try to pinpoint the noise. In my past experience with bad wheel bearings, they make a humming noise rather than a squeak. Def. take your wheel off and check it out, you'll most likely be able to find the problem then.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

kool. thanks much.

hopefully i can et some time to do this before it goes into the shop...otherwise it'll be spring before i get a good look at it.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Disc brakes are a constant friction brake. They lightly touch the disc at all times so you could possibly have brake noise even when not applied.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Disc brakes are a constant friction brake. They lightly touch the disc at all times so you could possibly have brake noise even when not applied.
    the noise only occurs when the brakes are applied...although i do understand what you are saying.

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

the noise only occurs when the brakes are applied...although i do understand what you are saying.
    might be your "replace brake pad indicator" Most brake pads have a little metal flange type thing that comes in contact with the rotor and makes a high pitched squeak. This happed on my beater car, i saw i had about 1/8 inch of pad left so i bent the flange back a bit. But once that 1/8 is gone i will hear harsh grinding, then i'll replace the pads since i don't give a shit about the rotors on that thing. If it was my maro i would have replaced the pads the first time.

blue
    1999 camaro ss #976

Hi guys am going throu the same thing i just changed my brakes and disk to the sloted drilled bear disk and the brakes r the hawks but i get this little noise when i brake also i cked it its not the brake is something else i cant find what is really doing the noise. or can it just be the brake dust that can cuse that problem to, if any one knows cool and thx ahead of time.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I take it you were in Wausau again?

Black
    2002 TA WS6

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Do you have any recommendations for brakes that won't make any noise? I think I have the same problem, except the noise is coming from the left rear wheel, and you can hear it mostly when I slowly accelerate; sometimes when I break. I changed the brakes a few months ago, but maybe I need a better brand.

orange
    99 z28

i have the same problem. not constant, or from braking really.. happens around left turns and over some bumps, sometimes a little when braking. any easy way to rule out the wheel bearing?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Orange99z28 View Post
    i have the same problem. not constant, or from braking really.. happens around left turns and over some bumps, sometimes a little when braking. any easy way to rule out the wheel bearing?
    Jack up the front end until your tire no longer touches the ground. Put one hand on the top sidewall of the tire and one on the bottom, now see if it will wiggle up and down. Any play means the bearing is bad.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Thread Information