Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

No start.. Not vats.. Wtf any other ideas?

This is a discussion on No start.. Not vats.. Wtf any other ideas? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; OK. Keep us posted....

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

OK. Keep us posted.

SOM
    2002 SS

I definitely will !

Just thought if mention that when I rehooked the original starter it wouldn't spin I went underneath and jumped the 2 main posts with a screwdriver and it turned over. I was just making sure it was getting power.

So the solenoid controls the power to the starter motor too?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

yes

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    I definitely will !

Just thought if mention that when I rehooked the original starter it wouldn't spin I went underneath and jumped the 2 main posts with a screwdriver and it turned over. I was just making sure it was getting power.

So the solenoid controls the power to the starter motor too?
    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    yes
    Yup. How it works is the solenoid has two hollow electromagnetic coils inside.
    One pulls on a spring loaded metal plunger the other coil holds it. This action engages the starter drive to the flywheel first.. As the solenoid reaches what would be the top or cap of the solenoid it pushes against and spring loaded rod that has a copper or zinc coated contact plate attached.. The contact plate then makes contact with two points (externally the two points are the bottoms of the two larger studs on the noid) which then completes a high amperage circuit and the starter motor then spins the engine.. The solenoid gets it's power from the ignition switch but not before the current passes through a fuse and a relay..

That's how they work in a nut shell..lol

Now since a starter motor is only used intermittently over the life of the car, many times the brushes are still like new inside.. With that said, many times all a starter needs is a new solenoid because the motor is fine.. A remanned starter can possibly have been bolted to five cars and still may contain the OEM brushes..

And Because many times folks will replace the entire starter even if only the noid is bad..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-14-2011 at 08:11 PM.

SOM
    2002 SS

pretty cool it sounds like its the solenoid for sure. I didnt call gm to ask how much it was if sold seperately but for $110 for a new starter I don't think its so bad.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

good job bud. you figure out your problem. Im sorry I was busy all day and didn't had time to post back but i see that the rest of the team help you out. You should be in good shape once you install a new starter.

SOM
    2002 SS

No problem at all it's incredibly helpful when people take the time to brainstorm and leave input for sure. Makes diagnosing much easier to get a general idea and focus on what to check and do next etc.

The starter guy said it should work but it clearly won't which is why the casting on the oem starter has a small tab and bolt. The one he gave me has a long bolt and the casting being full length for the bolt doesn't allow the starter to slip inside the bellhousing because it contacts the block. He agreed to swap it for the correct one at least but I'll have to drive further out through traffic to get it after work so it'll take me a few hours at least. He said he can have it delivered by tomorrow but I'm impatient and need stuff done asap so I told him I'll get it.

In the meantime here's a pic

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Hope it gets sorted out soon
    gotta love how SOM changes in different light
    btw, where did you get your headlights?
    I buffed out my original ones and they are clear but there is still a slight yellow tint to them, was thinking about getting new ones

SOM
    2002 SS

Yeah the som is pretty sweet for sure ! I still would have preferred white but I'm happy with it. I picked up these low mileage ones off a forum member here or on ls1tech I think he had 10k miles on them. It was the first thing on my long list of planned mods and IMO one of the most important in keeping a 98+ from showing it's age. New headlight lenses = new car instantly!

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

My car has been doing the same thing. It had been starting just fine and then one day nothing (gauges did just like yours). Got out and looked at the battery and the terminals were corroded. I cleaned them the best I could with what I had with me at the time. Tried it again and the car started fine. So when I got home I cleaned everything better. Started fine for awhile, so I thought I had fixed the problem. Then it started happening again. Battery still looked fine. Thought maybe the battery was going bad. Other stuff came up and the car set in the garage for about a month. Got in it yesterday to go to work and it started fine. Lunch time comes and it won't start. Get out, look at the battery. It looks good. Get back in and it starts. Drive to the tire place to get my tires put on and park. Get ready to pull in the stall and after a bunch of tries it won't start. Get out and tell one of the guys what's going on and then get back in and give it one more try and it starts fine. Ready to leave the tire store and starts fine. Couple of other times during the day starts fine. Get ready to leave work and nothing. As I'm trying it again, I repositioned myself in the seat and it starts. After playing with it a little I think it is the clutch saftey switch. If I just press the clutch down it won't start, I have to push it hard into the floor. I havn't taken the time yet to look and see if the switch is loose or bent down some.

SOM
    2002 SS

Just picked up the correct starter wohoo!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

shinny

SOM
    2002 SS

Blackar it does sound similar. The fact that it's intermittent makes it a pain to diagnose. I thought it was the vats and luckily I didn't have a single issue on a 1k mike roadtrip this past weekend with the wife and kid including pulling over at random stops both ways far away from any help. The solenoid is probably the only thing besides a broken or twisted wire in the column in my opinion that can be intermittent. In my case I'm fairly certain it's the solenoid because I tried plugging the new starter in and old back to back and the new one turns. I'll know in an hour or so !

SOM
    2002 SS

First fire up and wam sexy smooth motor sound and fired right up!!! Hopefully I'll report it stays working I've the next short period. Until then solenoid was the issue!!

Thx everyone <3

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

First fire up and wam sexy smooth motor sound and fired right up!!! Hopefully I'll report it stays working I've the next short period. Until then solenoid was the issue!!

Thx everyone <3
    Glad you got her back up and running

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

nice! go enjoy the car now.

SOM
    2002 SS

Drove the car quite a bit yesterday and fired up really nice every time. The new starter definitely sounds much quieter and smoother. Ive never really used a test meter but wow can it ever be valuable to have around when needed. Someone mentioned to check for voltage to the solenoid and i think thats pretty much a giveaway that its the solenoid because I had power just no powerto starter. My best guess is over time the starter/solenoid get less efficient and require slightly more juice to work and because my battery isnt new but still strong it was on the edge of cranking it.

Hopefully after a few days it will still be cranking smoothly.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Drove the car quite a bit yesterday and fired up really nice every time. The new starter definitely sounds much quieter and smoother. Ive never really used a test meter but wow can it ever be valuable to have around when needed. Someone mentioned to check for voltage to the solenoid and i think thats pretty much a giveaway that its the solenoid because I had power just no powerto starter. My best guess is over time the starter/solenoid get less efficient and require slightly more juice to work and because my battery isnt new but still strong it was on the edge of cranking it.

Hopefully after a few days it will still be cranking smoothly.
    Im sure that it will work fine until the starter goes bad again. Yep most of the time the solenoid goes bad due to wear/tear or corrosion.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Badass car. Enjoy!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-08-2012, 10:34 AM

Thread Information