no start

This is a discussion on no start within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; so after driving from work to home parked 10 minutes went out to start it again and nothing. lights come ...

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

no start

so after driving from work to home parked 10 minutes went out to start it again and nothing. lights come on, dash lights up, i think the security light was either on or blinking, cant remember now. i dont here a tick or anything from the starter. i swapped the ignition and fuel relays and still nothing. so i
    decided to try to push start it, except i used a hill, engine turned over fine but nothing fired.

so, now my car sits at the bottom of a hill next to the woods unable to start.

saw How to Bypass your VATS and was wondering how likely this is to work.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

if your security light is on then vats is your problem. Have you tried a spare key yet? You can also try to clean the pellet on your key with a pencil eraser but 99.999999% of the time it's going to be the wires in the cylinder. Ohm out your key and see what the median is from that chart in your link and put some resistors in there. Cost you $2-3 and take 30 minutes to do.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

tried both keys, neither do anything. the pellets are pretty clean as is, theres no gunk or anything on them.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Is the security light on - you said before it might have been?

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

fixed it, the resistor worked.

Once the car is running you can pull the resistor out and it will keep running. i tested this to make sure if it did come loose on the highway i wouldnt shut down.

Just wondering, is there a way to shut down the Vats system through a tune or such?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by V8MUSCLE View Post
    fixed it, the resistor worked.

Once the car is running you can pull the resistor out and it will keep running. i tested this to make sure if it did come loose on the highway i wouldnt shut down.

Just wondering, is there a way to shut down the Vats system through a tune or such?
    nope....just solder that resistor in and call it done.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

the security light is staying on now. the car still starts and runs normal, i just now have a light staring at me. any ideas? when i mess with the resistor to make sure its connecting good it still stays on.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'd say your resistor is a little off. Make sure you use gold band resistors and put 2 in a series if you have too and get it as close to that median for your key as posssible. It'll cut down on the chances of the resistor drifting out of range. A gold band resistor is a 5% resistor which means it can vary as much as 5% where as a silver banded resistor is 10%.

Black
    2002 WS6 T/A

Does the security light stay on or flash on/off when the key is turned on. We've never had a problem, but late tonight went to move the car & everything lights up, but nothing else happens, not even clicking or anything from under the hood. Tried the spare key too & no luck.

Who has the resistors now days? Our Radio Shack closed a couple of years ago.
    Last edited by RadarRunner10; 07-12-2009 at 10:55 PM.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

it stays on solid, i pulled an ohm meter out and tested the resistor before i put it in and it was the same as the keys. it was a gold band resistor.

Black
    2002 WS6 T/A

My security lights just flashes on/off so it must be something else. With all the electronics in these cars it could be anything I guess.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by V8MUSCLE View Post
    it stays on solid, i pulled an ohm meter out and tested the resistor before i put it in and it was the same as the keys. it was a gold band resistor.
    what was the actual resistance of the key?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by RadarRunner10 View Post
    My security lights just flashes on/off so it must be something else. With all the electronics in these cars it could be anything I guess.
    sounds like a vats issue to me. Not sure other than radio shack who carries resistors. Might check some local electronics places or car stereo shops and see if they have some.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

one key was 680 the other was 678. the resistor was 680.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you should be good to go then. Not sure why your light is still on. How did you secure the resistor in there? It's on the module side of that plug and not the column side correct? It still sounds like your off but if your key was 680 and your resistor is 680 then there's no reason that light should still be on.

blue
    2002 ws6

well if you wanna drop the extra cash usually between $20-$30 you can get a bypass modual like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-VA...Q5fAccessories which is what is installed if you went and got a remote start installed, its usually just a plug and play and it should keep the security light

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

i just shoved it in from behind like in the picture. it starts fine but then the security light pops on. i fiddled with the resistor to make sure it is making the best possible connection and it stays on.

Black
    2002 WS6 T/A

I finally determined it to be the key chip by disconnecting the harness under the dash & using the spare key & a couple of wires to get the car to start. The wife drove it to work this morning & I ordered the bypass module from the website listed above.

Wife called from work & said the security light stayed on (which I expected) & the "check/service engine" light stays on too. Should this light stay on or could it be from pulling/checking the fuses etc in the two boxes in the engine compartment?

Wife also mentioned that the car pulls from a stop sluggish like it is in a higher gear (its an automatic). Mainly just does not feel right. Any suggestions about this, or is it all connected with that harness not being connected since I left it loose so she can restart it with the wires I put in.

Black
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by RadarRunner10 View Post
    I finally determined it to be the key chip by disconnecting the harness under the dash & using the spare key & a couple of wires to get the car to start. The wife drove it to work this morning & I ordered the bypass module from the website listed above.

Wife called from work & said the security light stayed on (which I expected) & the "check/service engine" light stays on too. Should this light stay on or could it be from pulling/checking the fuses etc in the two boxes in the engine compartment?

Wife also mentioned that the car pulls from a stop sluggish like it is in a higher gear (its an automatic). Mainly just does not feel right. Any suggestions about this, or is it all connected with that harness not being connected since I left it loose so she can restart it with the wires I put in.

if the security light came on, the SES light is probably a P0161 (I think that's right) code for the security.

My security light comes on and goes off at random lately.

I don't worry too much about it.

Thread Information