Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No power?!

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

No power?!

So tell me what you think

Ever since Ive had my 95 firebird, when i go out on the throttle, it just sputters,.... EX: I`m going 45 down a road and have to switch lanes, But to do so I need to speed up and pass a car, So i push down the gas and it just sputters, resulting in going even slower >.>

Tonight when i was driving home, it sputtered, nearly died, then the check engine light came on, This light comes on every month or so, and every time I get it checked, they say there is nothing wrong with it...

any suggestions?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by AfterYou View Post
    So tell me what you think

Ever since Ive had my 95 firebird, when i go out on the throttle, it just sputters,.... EX: I`m going 45 down a road and have to switch lanes, But to do so I need to speed up and pass a car, So i push down the gas and it just sputters, resulting in going even slower >.>

Tonight when i was driving home, it sputtered, nearly died, then the check engine light came on, This light comes on every month or so, and every time I get it checked, they say there is nothing wrong with it...

any suggestions?
    Time to find a new place to have it scanned.. If the light is on there's definetly something wrong..

Just a guess here but your car is doing EXACTLY, what mine did when a coil chit the bed.. Middle coil iirc the (5-2) coil.. Intermittant misfire on #5 was the code I got. But I actually had to force the car to code on it.. It ran fine @ idle and easy driving. Like you as soon as I would go WOT the car would fall on it's face and sputter like crazy.. Water drips on the center coil everytime it rains, and or gets washed.. Even windshield washer fluid can make it's way down onto the coils..

Another issue maybe your cat crapping out too.. Mine died @ 80k-ish, the internal grid/mess cracked in two and I actually thought the motor popped.. It ran that bad @ anything over 1/2 throttle..
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-27-2010 at 09:38 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Our coils are mounted to the ignition module. It is NOT water tight like the design intended.. ALL the prongs that send power to the coils were corroded with copper green oxidization.. But the center coil gets the worst of it.. I ran a mini wire wheel on them and they cleaned up excellent..

This may or may not be your issue but the info is sound just incase.. New coil is between 25-50 bucks OEM.
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-27-2010 at 09:41 PM.

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

Ill find another play to scan it then, and I guess Ill have them test for Misfires?! I`m not to high on what all of these codes mean or anything, But after I do that, And it is the coils, Are they easy to self install if ive never modded a motor myself before? or would it need to be taken in somewhere

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it could really be a couple of things. Could be a fuel pressure, spark, or general fueling issue. First order of business is to see what code your getting then I would check fuel pressure. How many miles are on your plugs, wires, and fuel filter?

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Just go to an autoparts store and have them scan your cat an get the codes. Post em an well go from there.

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    it could really be a couple of things. Could be a fuel pressure, spark, or general fueling issue. First order of business is to see what code your getting then I would check fuel pressure. How many miles are on your plugs, wires, and fuel filter?

Plugs are at about 4k miles, Wires are still stock i think, and im not sure about the fuel filter, The car has 78k miles on it.

I`m headed to autozone as we speak

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

Alright, I went to Autozone, instead of my normal guy to run my codes, It happened to be a #5 misfire >.> goodcall....

He gave me the options for it
    wires,plugs, or coils.
    Tomorrow im going to check on the plugs for #5 and see whats up with it, if it still sputters, Ill bring it back to auto zone and see if its still running the same #5, if so, ill buy a new coil pack for it, its like 26 bucks... not what i have laying around atm but im sure I can work around on getting it

I told my parents and they proceded to say, YOU DONT NEED TO BE USING THE THROTTLE LIKE THAT, and i said, what happens when im changing lanes and if i give any gas and the car nearly dies? and they still argue that nothings wrong with it.... and they accuse me of driving "badly" and harming the car... ive done nothing

black/viper blue
    99 WS6 M6

i wouldnt think that just a #5 misfire would make it want to die like that. i mean yeah u would feel it but it shouldnt wanna die like that

black/viper blue
    99 WS6 M6

Question

i wonder what ur cats are lookin like?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I told my parents and they proceded to say, YOU DONT NEED TO BE USING THE THROTTLE LIKE THAT, and i said, what happens when im changing lanes and if i give any gas and the car nearly dies? and they still argue that nothings wrong with it.... and they accuse me of driving "badly" and harming the car... ive done nothing
    You can tell your parents that I said 'a healthy car is a safer car'

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I would still change the Fuel Filter as well. I like to do mine every 10 to 15 thousand miles. I've seen so many vehicles with bad fuel pumps because of not changing the filter. Not to mention Clogged injectors.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    You can tell your parents that I said 'a healthy car is a safer car'

+1 And there is nothing you did, or didn't do, to cause this problem.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Alright, I went to Autozone, instead of my normal guy to run my codes, It happened to be a #5 misfire >.> goodcall....

He gave me the options for it
    wires,plugs, or coils.
    Tomorrow im going to check on the plugs for #5 and see whats up with it, if it still sputters, Ill bring it back to auto zone and see if its still running the same #5, if so, ill buy a new coil pack for it, its like 26 bucks... not what i have laying around atm but im sure I can work around on getting it

If it is the coil, it can be done by you, super easy. Pretty much plug and play.. It is only held in by (2) tiny bolts. Check the other things like the others mentioned but I'm willing to bet it's that coil.. Like I mentioned we get water/wheather on our middle coil..
    If you've replaced the plugs recently with OEM plugs, or still are the OEM plugs, they are/should be Iridiums and are'nt going to be bad but you can check them too if you desire the bloody knucles lol.. Here's some pics just incase.. The (2) bolts are like 4-5 ish mm iirc.. The lower pic is of our ignition module after cleaning the power prongs..

Last edited by Smittro; 08-29-2010 at 05:51 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    If it is the coil, it can be done by you, super easy. Pretty much plug and play.. It is only held in by (2) tiny bolts. Check the other things like the others mentioned but I'm willing to bet it's that coil.. Like I mentioned we get water/wheather on our middle coil..
    If you've replaced the plugs recently with OEM plugs, or still are the OEM plugs, they are/should be Iridiums and are'nt going to be bad but you can check them too if you desire the bloody knucles lol.. Here's some pics just incase.. The (2) bolts are like 4-5 ish mm iirc.. The lower pic is of our ignition module after cleaning the power prongs..
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Now, you don't have to remove the whole thing just the coil.. The (5-2) coil is easily accessed and visible.. Good luck! Let me know if you need more info/help.. If I'm not on, shoot me a PM and I'll get back to you asap.. PM's are linked to my emails, so I'll get the message pretty quickly.. It's how pajeff gets a hold of me for the v6 section.. Take your time and remember to disconnect the battery before fooling with the coils..

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

Thanks for all the help guys! I may need a little more assistance, But im sure that I can get it off and changed!

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Thanks for all the help guys! I may need a little more assistance, But im sure that I can get it off and changed!
    Just be sure that is the prob first.. If you need help let me know..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Also to add.... If you happen to mix up the 2 wires on the coil, don't worry.. We are what is known as "wasted spark" engines.. This means that both plugs are fired even tho only one cylinder is entering the power stroke.. But as I was sayin' make sure that is the trouble first before you spend your money..

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Also to add.... If you happen to mix up the 2 wires on the coil, don't worry.. We are what is known as "wasted spark" engines.. This means that both plugs are fired even tho only one cylinder is entering the power stroke.. But as I was sayin' make sure that is the trouble first before you spend your money..
    Tomorrow after school, This is what I plan on doing

Going to autozone with the correct tools needed.

Im going to swap two of the coil packs with eachother, and run the codes and see if its still a misfire in the same spot, if so then I can just buy another coilpack and install it onspot and ask for help from them if i need to
    I cant reach the spark plug #5 on the motor so idk if it came loose or some sort

The reason i brought up not reaching it is because the man who owned the car before myself, replaced them all, and didnt get the correct size, and they come lose from time to time from bumpy and rough roads, but it cost like 60 bucks last time just to get it tightend >.<

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Tomorrow after school, This is what I plan on doing

Going to autozone with the correct tools needed.

Im going to swap two of the coil packs with eachother, and run the codes and see if its still a misfire in the same spot, if so then I can just buy another coilpack and install it onspot and ask for help from them if i need to
    I cant reach the spark plug #5 on the motor so idk if it came loose or some sort

The reason i brought up not reaching it is because the man who owned the car before myself, replaced them all, and didnt get the correct size, and they come lose from time to time from bumpy and rough roads, but it cost like 60 bucks last time just to get it tightend >.<
    How I did mine was, I fired it up and pulled #5 wire off the coil and had no spark jump. The spark should jump the gap (about 1-2 inches) if the coil is strong.. I had a very weak spark that could only ignite the fuel @ idle and off idle to about minimum throttle. @ WOT the fuel would drown out and momentarily foul the plug.. Good luck bro!

Thread Information