Thread: No Peeling

RED
    1998 TRANS AM

No Peeling

Need Help W/ My 98 Trans Am Ls 1.car Runs Really Well,it Is Stock.although,when I Gas It From A Dead Start,it Wont Come On & Lay The Rubber.it Will Take Off,then I Can Stomp It Again & It Will Drop Back Down & Launch Like The Space Shuttle.doesnt Make Sense That A Car W/ This Kind Of Performance Wont Peel Out.is this how it is supposed to perform?it has the auto 4 sp od.any Ideas,pls Help.thanks,jro
    Last edited by JROBINSON1016; 07-08-2006 at 01:43 PM. Reason: correction

Silver
    99 Trans Am

when i'm rolling like 5 or 10 mph mine wont spin it takes off pretty dang hard though I reckon its too low in the rpms at a stop or slow roll

at 30 mph in 1st in my car a WOT stab will yield a little chirp not alot though

you dont state M6 or A4 but if a M6 try this: dont do this often (10 bolt) but hold the rpms at around 3,800-4,000 rpms and dump it. It should leave two nice pretty long black strips on the pavement

If your an A4 I dont know will let someone with an A4 chime in

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

you dont want it too peel.
    traction=good
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Not sure what's up there. How many miles are on the tires? I know when I used to get new tires it wouldn't want to burn but after a few miles it would roast them down to the rims if I wanted it to.

RED
    1998 TRANS AM

alright guys,maybe i'm a little old school.just thinkin"the more power you have,the more rubber your goin to lay.i guess it wasn't designed to waste tires in a smoke storm.but it sho do git up n go!thnx for the input guys,over n out.
    Last edited by JROBINSON1016; 07-08-2006 at 05:42 PM. Reason: correction

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Hang on -do you have traction control-I know it may be a silly question but you didn't say if you were turning it off. Also be aware that the engine management will turn down the power on a dead stop full throttle take-off attempt. It's considered an abusive manuever, obviously there are ways around this. Try not flooring it right off but feeding the throttle in a little slower. I had to learn this in my 6 speed car even, it won't allow a full throttle take off from a dead stop. The computer is in control of alot of things-including the actual throttle cable. It doesn't always interfere, but you will feel it kicking back against your foot when it does (might be traction control there). It can also reduce fuel and ignition .

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    you dont want it too peel.
    traction=good

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1 View Post
    Hang on -do you have traction control-I know it may be a silly question but you didn't say if you were turning it off. Also be aware that the engine management will turn down the power on a dead stop full throttle take-off attempt. It's considered an abusive manuever, obviously there are ways around this. Try not flooring it right off but feeding the throttle in a little slower. I had to learn this in my 6 speed car even, it won't allow a full throttle take off from a dead stop. The computer is in control of alot of things-including the actual throttle cable. It doesn't always interfere, but you will feel it kicking back against your foot when it does (might be traction control there). It can also reduce fuel and ignition .
    Exactly^^^^^
    Program your TC and line pressure/shift points....launch from 2nd...this engages all your clutches versus launching from D....

RED
    1998 TRANS AM

unfortunately i do not have traction control.it kinda feels like when i take off,that im behind the wheel of a stock 85 t/a w/ the old comp controlled q jet 305.but then after i get out of 1st,i can hatch it again & it'll really come on.may be the computer pulling back on the reigns a little.i'm not sure whats happening there.just figured w/ that kind of git up n go,that this little monster would roast 'em to the rims simply by working the throttle a little.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

It will roast tires and then some-just have to work on your technique. Even without traction control the computer takes out power to prevent an 'abusive' manuever. By leaning into the throttle a little slower before nailing it-you should have quite different results. I did a little practicing when I first got my car -and now it's become second nature to me.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by JROBINSON1016 View Post
    unfortunately i do not have traction control.it kinda feels like when i take off,that im behind the wheel of a stock 85 t/a w/ the old comp controlled q jet 305.but then after i get out of 1st,i can hatch it again & it'll really come on.may be the computer pulling back on the reigns a little.i'm not sure whats happening there.just figured w/ that kind of git up n go,that this little monster would roast 'em to the rims simply by working the throttle a little.
    TC= Traction Control....kills the power to keep the wheels from spinning....
    TM= Torque Management....allows slippage and reduction to prevent damage to the driveline....now this you got...you can program either or both...

RED
    1998 TRANS AM

alright ,sounds like you might be on to something there.so how does a guy go about programming,or having the torque management(tm)programmed.is this something i have to have done,or is there something i can do.surely this isnt something that can only be done w/ a power programmer.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I have always used a tuner w/dyno or a tuner sitting in the passenger seat with his laptop and HP Tuners...we normally tune out in the country on the back roads....mebbe some of the hand held programmer guys can chime in...
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

RED
    1998 TRANS AM

i was out tryin to figure out what was goin on earlier.and was thinking maybe it could be a fuel restriction ,possibly fuel filter or pump.what was happening was when i was starting off,i dropped the shifter down in 1st & eased it to the floor.it started to come on then it just stopped, like i had let off all of a sudden,but the pedal was still to the floor.about 3 seconds it tryed to pick back up,then stopped again.i shifted into 2nd,not knowing if the comp. was doing this.went to 2nd & layed into the gas and it did the same thing.so i backed off & let it go to third,nailed it & it took off.only thing i can think of is a fuel restriction,any ideas.

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2005 GTO

You broke it...

Seriously though, that doesn't sound right.

Ratdaddy07
    Bought it used? sounds like a bad computer tune, or tuned for aftermarket parts that were taken off before you got it?

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Not sure of course without being there-but it still sounds like torque management to me.

RED
    1998 TRANS AM

hey guys, just got back in from 1 heck of a rubber layin' ,tire smokin' ride like you'll never get at six flags.hope i didn't overload anyones thought perceptors on this one,(i feel so stupid,dont ever go by the look of something,duuuuh!) i just on a whim ,but not really expecting much,changed the fuel filter.looked like it hadn't been on there long.guess it was either that,or i finally blew the soot out of it from the previous lady owner.runs like a charm now.i really appreciate all the input from all of you.good to see a group of people out there sticking together & keeping the american muscle alive.thanks again guys!

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Try cutting the fuel filter open and see what's inside if you want to know what was wrong. Maybe you just got used to driving it-or blew the cobwebs out-it would be interesting to know though. Have fun!

Thread Information