Blue-Green Chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

No low end power? Seems to bog

How's it going everyone? Unfortunately I have another newb question for everyone. It seems that i have no low end power from a stop. I put peddle to the floor from a stop and it might chirp the tires but that's about it. I changed the fuel filter and still no difference. Still pulls hard from 40 on but I really don't understand why it doesn't go sideways? It used to bark the tires going into second at 50. I have only had the car a few months so I don't really know what kind of power to expect? BTW it is a 1998 T/A automatic with 2.73's. Thanks for the help and sorry for the typical newb questions.

P.s. only mod is SLP LM2
    Last edited by transhow; 04-02-2009 at 04:19 PM.

black
    2002 WS6

chances are the clutches inside the tranny are slipping, drop the pan change the fluid and filter, and add a aux trans cooler.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Also if your mileage is high. I do an engagement test. First warm everything up to temp. Drive it around normal to get everything heated up. Then park it and while sitting there (engine running) work though the gears. Not moving the car, go from park to reverse then to drive then drive to reverse. Notice how long it takes to engage. A lengthy engagement cycle "could" be signs as stated in the above post as worn clutches or even internal pump issues. Another thing to try is open your door and with your foot firmly on the brake and (engine running) "listen" for a slushing sound as you pull the shifter all the way to first. Then go to second and back to first a couple of times. Listening for anything odd. You can also take it to a shop to have the tranny flushed. I recommend this to anyone buying a used car. Changeing the fluid and filter is good to do but cant get the old fluid out of the converter. After the flush and fluid change see if there's a difference. If no difference is noticed you can also try haveing the tranny reprogramed. In my oppy these things are worth a try cause they are all cheaper than a new tranny. However dont exclude the tranny maybe worn or shot. Good Luck.
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-04-2009 at 01:03 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Blue-Green Chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

I have 75,000 miles. I will have to go try some of those tests this weekend... Thanks for the help.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by transhow View Post
    I have 75,000 miles. I will have to go try some of those tests this weekend... Thanks for the help.
    No prob I figure since you probably dont know how the previous owner treated the car maybe these things can help. Our cars sometimes like to get stuck in snow, mud, and if someone was hard on the trany when it was stuck, there maybe trany damage. But that's not to say there is just it's possible. Good Luck..
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-03-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Thread Information