Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

NGK over Ac Delco?

This is a discussion on NGK over Ac Delco? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by jiveass fixed .... they are one of the better plugs out there... what is the basis of ...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    fixed ....
    they are one of the better plugs out there... what is the basis of your argument???

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    they are one of the better plugs out there... what is the basis of your argument???
    im just givin ya shit....

White
    '02 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    The post PaJeff mentioned describes the difference between standard plugs (like the NGK TR55) and Platinum tip plugs. The factory AcDelco plug is platinum (and has now been replaced with Iridium).
    My00Z28, your original post asks about why people like using the NGK TR55(I assume) over the stock AcDelco.
    Here's the cliff notes from that post
    Good analysis, but now here is little history.....
    When these cars ( F body) came out, especially LS1 models with AC Delco Platinum plugs there was a problem with the platinum pad on the ground tab coming off. Platinum was only used on the ground side on these and as far as I know there was no difference in the electrode. This of course opened up the gap and you can imagine the response when people found there was a small metal disc flying through their engines cylinders.
    This was fixed in time and with it GM reduced the recommended gap from .60 to .40 supposedly to help with increased spark strength.
    NGK was ahead of the curve at that time in plug technology and were favored in racing circles so they became the defacto plug of choice. Champion, even as much as I wanted to go there was way behind in offering something competitive.
    Guys began replacing the Delcos with NGK Platinum due to reliability concerns and racers were using the copper core plugs.
    About 2002 ( I say this because I had just gotten my Camaro and was more tuned into it) Iridium plugs were becoming the rage. More durable than platinum with longer life, so they had to better right? I haven't looked recently but 4 years ago or so you could get a set of Iridium plugs for about $4.50 ea. from sponsors here.
    A few years ago it was common belief that NGK was making plugs for Delco so that you were getting the same thing anyway.
    So you see it becomes a case of monkey see monkey do to some extent. If you ask Sarge he would tell you to pound the platinum and iridium plugs where the sun don't shine and get a set off copper cores. Myself, since my car is a weekend toy, I went the iridium route some time ago. BTW I did find one plug that had the tip off of it when I changed them.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    This maybe old school, I am under the impression that "copper" transfers a hotter spark.

SteveC
    You are correct sir, copper is a better conductor of electricity.

I got away from the ACdelco's a few years ago because of their part number changes, they were happening pretty frequent and some plugs that I had used for 20 years were no longer available. Colder heat ranges became harder to find.
    I've tried NGK's, but I just didn't like the way they responded with EGT's on the dyno a few years ago when we were playing with heat ranges.

So I've since switched to Autolites. They have the colder heat ranges that I prefer to use, and they worked on the dyno with EGT changes so I feel more confident they are doing what they are supposed to do.

I don't get into all the fancy bull with plugs,,,irridium this, platnum that, fancy eletrodes,,blah blah.
    I prefer a good copper core, with the ground strap cut back slightly to promote better flame travel, and that's about as fancy as I get.
    Autolite already sells a plug with a shorter ground strap in their racing series plugs if you don't want to take the time with a dremel.

I like the AR (autolite racing) series with a copper core short ground strap,,,or for those that don't like frequent plug changes the APP series is a good plug to use.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I don't get into all the fancy bull with plugs,,,irridium this, platnum that, fancy eletrodes,,blah blah. I prefer a good copper core, with the ground strap cut back slightly to promote better flame travel, and that's about as fancy as I get.
    Autolite already sells a plug with a shorter ground strap in their racing series plugs if you don't want to take the time with a dremel.

Amen.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

all those funky electrobe designs are for marketing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information