Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Which NGk and gap

This is a discussion on Which NGk and gap within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Naaman I recently changed my plugs; I went to the parts store looking for TR55s, but the ...

navy blue
    1998 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    I recently changed my plugs; I went to the parts store looking for TR55s, but the guy handed me "TR5s" (iridiums) instead. I looked them up and they were the correct application. After the install, I noticed significantly improved fuel economy. The way I drive, I used to get about 285 miles out of a fuel tank on my Autolites. With the TR5s, I consistantly get 310-320 miles per tank and I am heavy on the pedal as often as I can get away with (haven't changed my habits one bit).
    Tr5 are iridium so too? Are they set at .40? And tr55ix are at .60?

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I don't know. I didn't mess with the gap. The ones I got are the TR5IX (iridium). Looking on NGK's website, they are the most fuel efficient option currently offered by NGK for 98 LS1s.

I've had a few different plugs in the LS engines including platinum and the like, never noticed anything on mileage. Currently run an autolite copper core plug with a step colder on the heat range. No real difference in how the car runs in day to day driving. Still rock solid mpg numbers as always.

Iridium, platinum, copper, I think it just comes down to how often you care to change the plugs. I just prefer the copper because it's a better conductor of electricity. I don't mind changing at 30-40k, it takes 5+ years to put that much on the car anyway, lol.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Well, with the last plugs, I would have a misfire if I suddenly let off the gas after WOT (you know that popping noise at the tailpipe?). I don't get that noise anymore since changing the plugs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information