Next Mod?

This is a discussion on Next Mod? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Have an slp air lid, k&n, free ram air, and hooker exhaust. What mod should I do next? Was thinkin ...

Red
    1998 T/A

Next Mod?

Have an slp air lid, k&n, free ram air, and hooker exhaust. What mod should I do next? Was thinkin programmer or ory. This is my daily driver so I doubt I'll ever put longtubes on it. Does anyone make an ory for stock manifolds? Also, I read in car craft about the corvette style manifolds being a direct bolt on. What do those run and are they worth the money?

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98eles1
    Have an slp air lid, k&n, free ram air, and hooker exhaust. What mod should I do next? Was thinkin programmer or ory. This is my daily driver so I doubt I'll ever put longtubes on it. Does anyone make an ory for stock manifolds? Also, I read in car craft about the corvette style manifolds being a direct bolt on. What do those run and are they worth the money?
    I don't see any value in going from one iron exhaust manifold to another. If you want modest gains, look into shorty or mid-length headers, but you'll get more out of longtubes. The converters aren't too much of a restriction, so I don't know that you'll get much by removing them from a largely stock car (unless you get longtubes!)

Is your car a stick or auto. If you have an automatic, I'd recommend a good torque converter. A 3000 stal converter is said to be quite streetable in these cars. With traction, you should get 3-4 tenths in the quarter. The best way to try and harness some of that power and get it to the ground would be with some rear lower control arms and subframe connectors.

Handheld tuners like the predator can help out a bit, but especially if you do decide to get headers or other engine mods, you'll get more out of a good dyno tune.

Red
    1998 T/A

I read in car craft that the vette manifolds make about 10hp more than the stockers. If the price wasn't too bad, I'd think that'd be a good mod without having to do longtubes. How much do shorties run, and who makes an ory that will work with those shorties? I'm more worried about the sound of no cats than the performance. Then again the sound of longtubes would sound better than all of them. I guess I have some deciding to do.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

bassani makes off road y-pipes for the f-bodies. the corvette manifolds hook to the motor. but, the outlet position is different.

Mystic Teal
    2000 Z28

i wouldnt waste my money on another set of manifolds when you could do headers and help your engine breathe. you can always install cats on the Y-pipe after the headers install and it will be just as good as it is now with more power at your command. i truly believe in headers, as they keep the engine breathing. but, if you're looking for some small mods..mabye a 160* t-stat, tb bypass port/polished throttle body...any of those are cheap and will help ya out some

Mystic Teal
    2000 Z28

also, since it looks like you have a '98 ... upgrade to the LS6 intake manifold.... you'll see 10-15 to the rear wheels just with the intake alone.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Dyno Tune. Get a tune man....get a baseline.....

Thread Information