Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Newbie with some questions

I grew up in the 70's so fuel injection power is completely new to me. I would appreciate any help in adding some horsepower (within a semi-limited budget). Also, if anyone could point me in the right direction towards getting the best prices for equipment it would be very much accepted.

Thanks, in advance

RJ

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

yea man dont worry about it. dont mess with your tb or maf both are able to handle up to 500hp. get a good cat back, some headers a lid. are the best way to get some power pretty cheaply. however sub frame connectors are a must and a first mod !!!! helps the f-body frame from twisting like a pretzel. if your running a automatic then get a stall, trans cooler..that will help your ETs alot. if your running a m6 get a nice rocker set from crane for around 620 bucks, has correct pushrods springs 1.8 rockers ect. and will help your numbers a good deal. just private message me if you have any other questions.

good advice

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    yea man dont worry about it. dont mess with your tb or maf both are able to handle up to 500hp. get a good cat back, some headers a lid. are the best way to get some power pretty cheaply. however sub frame connectors are a must and a first mod !!!! helps the f-body frame from twisting like a pretzel. if your running a automatic then get a stall, trans cooler..that will help your ETs alot. if your running a m6 get a nice rocker set from crane for around 620 bucks, has correct pushrods springs 1.8 rockers ect. and will help your numbers a good deal. just private message me if you have any other questions.
    Sorry, I don't have an account with MSN. Thanks for the information though. I was already planning on putting the frame connectors in. If I get a ram air hood and a K&N air filter will I get the same HP ratings as the SS. If not what else would I need to change to bring the numbers up.

About the car in general, it already has a catback exhasust system but it has a borla system and it's just too quiet for me. It does have a six speed and 4:10 gearing. Do you have any suggestions on a programming system. I've read a little about the hypertech power programmr III which seems like it will do everything I want to do i.e. change the odometer according to the gear ratio and the new tires I'm planning on adding. I would appreciate any suggestions on headers, cams and I'm thinking about going to the 80mm throttle body instead of the stock 73mm.

Like I said I'm a complete newbie with the new performance parts for the fuel injection models. Oh, as a parting thought I've been looking for a turbocharger but can't seem t locate one. So if you have any suggestions on this also I'd be forever in your debt.

Thanks,

SGT Suter US Army

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by rsuter View Post
    Sorry, I don't have an account with MSN. Thanks for the information though. I was already planning on putting the frame connectors in. If I get a ram air hood and a K&N air filter will I get the same HP ratings as the SS. If not what else would I need to change to bring the numbers up.

About the car in general, it already has a catback exhasust system but it has a borla system and it's just too quiet for me. It does have a six speed and 4:10 gearing. Do you have any suggestions on a programming system. I've read a little about the hypertech power programmr III which seems like it will do everything I want to do i.e. change the odometer according to the gear ratio and the new tires I'm planning on adding. I would appreciate any suggestions on headers, cams and I'm thinking about going to the 80mm throttle body instead of the stock 73mm.

Like I said I'm a complete newbie with the new performance parts for the fuel injection models. Oh, as a parting thought I've been looking for a turbocharger but can't seem t locate one. So if you have any suggestions on this also I'd be forever in your debt.

Thanks,

SGT Suter US Army
    A LS1 is a LS1...GM jacked with the ratings between the Z28, SS and vette but they all put out around the same numbers.

Pacesetters makes good long tube headers....the cam would depend on where you want the power and how streetable you want her (a popular very streetable cam is a tr 224/224 .581 .581 112 but it is pretty small compared to the T-rex or magicstick). I'd call and tell them exactly what you're looking for...they can grind you a custom cam. Check out the site sponser... http://www.thunderracing.com/

As far as the tune, it looks like you're looking to mod your LS1 pretty good. If you want to learn how to tune you should buy hptuners(you'll need a laptop)....or you can have someone tune her for you on a dyno. If you insist on a handheld the diablosport predator is one of the better ones....don't get the hypertech. You can have your stock TB ported out....Shaner does good work. http://s2performance.net/

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    A LS1 is a LS1...GM jacked with the ratings between the Z28, SS and vette but they all put out around the same numbers.

Pacesetters makes good long tube headers....the cam would depend on where you want the power and how streetable you want her (a popular very streetable cam is a tr 224/224 .581 .581 112 but it is pretty small compared to the T-rex or magicstick). I'd call and tell them exactly what you're looking for...they can grind you a custom cam. Check out the site sponser... http://www.thunderracing.com/

As far as the tune, it looks like you're looking to mod your LS1 pretty good. If you want to learn how to tune you should buy hptuners(you'll need a laptop)....or you can have someone tune her for you on a dyno. If you insist on a handheld the diablosport predator is one of the better ones....don't get the hypertech. You can have your stock TB ported out....Shaner does good work. http://s2performance.net/
    Thanks much for the information... I'll do some more research into it... But at least I'm pointed in the right direction.

Thread Information