Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

newbie question for VY SS manual with 5grand to spend

Hey im just wondering what i should do with my 5 grand to get the performance top notch.

I already have the exhaust so i was thinking a Turbo first priority but if not then go with the CAM package.

Is it possible to get the turbo kit + extras installed for 5 grand. I do know a mechanic but I havnt asked him as of yet.

Or go with the CAM package for about 4 grand??

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

A properly set up turbo will cost probably 2-3X that. If you were to have someone install it, you'd be looking at another 2K easily just for installation.

If you are looking for performance, you'd be better off spending money on a decent set of heads, a cam, and an intake (depending on what intake you already have). If you have the LS6 intake, then cam/heads.

If your car is an 01+, you already have the LS6 intake.

Are you an auto? If so, you should also consider a stall. If you're a manual, depending on which cam you decide on you might also want to consider a proper rear end gear to match the cam.

Typically people usually build the drive-train, suspension, etc prior to adding power to ensure the new found power can adequately be put to the ground in a safe and reliable manner. These items would include: rear end, sub-frame connectors, torque arm, lower control arms with relocation brackets, etc.

So whats the KW difference between a turbo to the cams/heads.

I am from australia too, i just realised this is an american site. the standard is 245kw i think

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That's a pretty vague question. It would depend solely on the size of the cam and which heads you are considering.

Turbo's come in all trim sizes; single and dual. It would also be largely dependent on how much boost you run.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

In general terms...

A typical cam/heads package will put you in the 410-460rwhp range.

A turbo set-up can hit 450rwhp and go to the sky from there.

It's too late for me to do the conversion

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Just realized you have a Holden being from Aussie

If you haven't already, post up some pics. A lot of us here like those

Ok here you go.

2003 HOLDEN COMMODORE SS VY Private Cars For Sale in NSW - carsales.com.au 1247 1252 1282 4294965857 4294965745 898&distance=25&find=vy%20ss%20black%20manual|CarA ll

im buying this car on this saturday

waiting for administrator to approve it
    Last edited by joshm_101; 01-03-2012 at 12:38 AM.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

OK. Let's see. There are a few shops in Australia who could give you prices and some cam choices to choose from. There is Chev's Performance, Mark's Workshop, and Hi-Torque that I know of. I have been doing some research and have found that alot of folks in Australia prefer a Mafless tune with a good OTR and DuSpeed has been mentioned alot of the time. Also, if you have any money left over from the cam install and tune, look for a Harrop diff cover to keep the rear tires planted more on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    OK. Let's see. There are a few shops in Australia who could give you prices and some cam choices to choose from. There is Chev's Performance, Mark's Workshop, and Hi-Torque that I know of. I have been doing some research and have found that alot of folks in Australia prefer a Mafless tune with a good OTR and DuSpeed has been mentioned alot of the time. Also, if you have any money left over from the cam install and tune, look for a Harrop diff cover to keep the rear tires planted more on the ground.
    Ok can you explain what the good mafless tune, good OTR and Du speed is ??

I would much rather the turbo if I could afford it with 5 grand. what do you think?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You could try asking different tuners what the cost is for the turbo setup and install. Will probably be over $5k though.

OTR=Over Radiator Cold Air Intake. Alot of shops in Australia swear by them as the intake sits over the radiator and in front of it to suck in fresh cold air. The mafless tune recalibrates the car's computer to run the engine without the Mass Air Flow sensor as some deem it to be a bottleneck or restriction of performance. DuSpeed is a popular OTR manufacturer, but there is also Orssom, Growler, and Ramjet.

Do you live near Chev's, Mark's Workshop or Hi-Torque? How far is your local tuner?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My supercharger install was over 2k just in labor. Turbos are generally more expensive and difficult to install.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

ok well theres an online store called Welcome to LS1 Turbo - LSX Turbo Kits, Gen-T Turbochargers, Gen-TT, Gen-TTR

I priced a single turbo to be $1200. what else needs to be done. labour, tuning, , any more mods that require to be installed because of the turbo ???
    I know a mechanic who can do it for alot cheaper also.

Sorry for some dumb questions and answers im only just new to modding a car.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Not seeing where you see $1200 for a price. The kit prices on that site are $6k and up and don't include any fuel system upgrades.

You'll need at a minimum: fuel pump upgrade, fuel injectors, an aftermarket k-member, valve springs, and hardened push rods.

I'll also suggest gauges to monitor everything; A/F and a boost gauge.

Then you need to worry about replacing whatever breaks because of the added power.

Lastly, unless your car is much different than that of those here in the states, you'll need some suspension components if you're even considering to get any kind of traction.

My mods are in my signature of what I did to my car. The supercharger being the last of them.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by joshm_101 View Post
    ok well theres an online store called Welcome to LS1 Turbo - LSX Turbo Kits, Gen-T Turbochargers, Gen-TT, Gen-TTR

I priced a single turbo to be $1200. what else needs to be done. labour, tuning, , any more mods that require to be installed because of the turbo ???
    I know a mechanic who can do it for alot cheaper also.

Sorry for some dumb questions and answers im only just new to modding a car.
    No question is dumb. I am still learning about my car (VX Monaro).

just scroll abit further down im prety sure the ones up the top are twin turbos.

It just depends if its a kit or not tho i guess.

check it out if u can cause thats dirt cheap

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

just scroll abit further down im prety sure the ones up the top are twin turbos.

It just depends if its a kit or not tho i guess.

check it out if u can cause thats dirt cheap
    The ones up top are the complete kits, single and dual. The stuff at the bottom is "Accessories" for the kits.

The $1200 dollar price tag you are seeing towards the bottom is only for the turbo head unit itself, nothing else. It doesn't include anything else you see in the kit; charge side piping, wastegate, manifolds, intercooler, filters, elbows, etc.

ahh ok. if u wanna have a look here you go
    LS1 VT-VZ Turbo Kit | eBay

this is a second hand turbo kit. i still am stressing how much the "extras" for the turbo will cost to get this car running with a turbo. got a price total for "You'll need at a minimum: fuel pump upgrade, fuel injectors, an aftermarket k-member, valve springs, and hardened push rods." ??

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Going with turbos is a great option. Sounds and runs amazing.
    The cheapest way is bolt ons, heads, cam, intake and other parts to make the engine stronger, ls6 oil pump, ls2 timing chains, push rods and lifters.
    If you want to add more powe, you can always get a bottle

IMO I would go for a turbo if money isn't an issue!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

ahh ok. if u wanna have a look here you go
    LS1 VT-VZ Turbo Kit | eBay

this is a second hand turbo kit. i still am stressing how much the "extras" for the turbo will cost to get this car running with a turbo. got a price total for "You'll need at a minimum: fuel pump upgrade, fuel injectors, an aftermarket k-member, valve springs, and hardened push rods." ??
    Fuel pump is around $225 new if you go with a single pump
    Fuel injectors - $500 for 8
    K-member - $520-$560 depending on which one you get
    Valve springs - #125
    Hardened push rods - $125-$200 depending on which ones you get

This still does not include anything that goes with the actual "turbo kit". It is all separate from the turbo system itself.

Then you'll need gauges, pillar pod, and to install it all.

Most likely, custom fabrication is ALWAYS involved when installing these. The kits are not "bolt-on".

Thread Information