Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    95' z71

newbie and i need help asap

hello well i need help asap...i have a z71 95' truck thats all i know im not good with all this stuff anyway... i believe i have locked up my engine and was wondering if anyone knew of a way to try and unlock it... i have no idea whut im doing so deep description would be awsome even a diagram

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If it is seized, then you can't "unlock" it. You will need a replacement engine.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

What happened? water?

Sorry but seizing the engine is basically death for it. Water won't compress and the metal gives out first.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Does the engine not turn over? Did it stop while driving it? Need a little more info. If it is indeed seized as C.G. said you either need a new motor or are in for a major rebuild if the damage isn't to severe. I'd plan on a new motor though. Give a few more details plz.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

95' z71

okay well i start from the beginning ... i checked my oil it needed some so i put some in it... but i accidently put to much so i was driving it around and i was going up a hill to my uncles house to eat and it staped then i got it started again...then i got a little ways down the road and it stoped again this time i could not get it started so i called my dad and he came and he finnally got it started .... oh this whole time my "check gauges light has been on... so anyway.. he got it stated and my check engines light turned off..so i thought okay this wil be okay...it ran for about a day or so..then i put 10.00 gas in it... i rode around and then went to the dollar store ... i went to get back in the truck it would turn over and i got it started ...i got started in reverse and then it stopped again...and now it will not turn over .. my father put a new starter thing in it... and thats not it so he says its locked up....

i thought locked up and seized was the same thing...maybe not...he says its locked up ... so if thats different/....

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Try to turn the crank pulley. Usually I use a socket and large breaker bar. If you can't turn it then the engine is seized. Time for a new motor.
    If it turns then I'd check the starter to see if it is operating properly. You said it's new, so I'd just check to make sure it's engaging - check for voltage.

95' z71

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Try to turn the crank pulley. Usually I use a socket and large breaker bar. If you can't turn it then the engine is seized. Time for a new motor.
    If it turns then I'd check the starter to see if it is operating properly. You said it's new, so I'd just check to make sure it's engaging - check for voltage.

where is the crank pully at....

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Let us know what you find too. I'm headed out... but there are plenty who'll help you if you find the motor isn't seized. Just ask and they'll point you where to check. Someone might be able to recommend a good shop too.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by ilovemypitbulls View Post
    where is the crank pully at....
    It's the bottom pulley on the motor. Usually the largest too, but rarely isn't. IDK the exact size socket you'll need, but it's a large one. Good luck. I'm turnin in. Will check back 2morrow.

95' z71

i think i know whut it looks like..ill have ta try im sick cuz i dont have a way to go besides walk

95' z71

i have a question im prolly jumpin ahead of myself but... if i can get it to turn what should i do next...

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

hello well i need help asap...i have a z71 95' truck thats all i know im not good with all this stuff anyway... i believe i have locked up my engine and was wondering if anyone knew of a way to try and unlock it... i have no idea whut im doing so deep description would be awsome even a diagram
    I am going to move this thread over to the General Help section to see if you can get some more ideas.

I hope you get it worked out.

Welcome to LS1.com.

95' z71

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I am going to move this thread over to the General Help section to see if you can get some more ideas.

I hope you get it worked out.

Welcome to LS1.com.
    okay thanks sorry i did not put it there .....

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

okay thanks sorry i did not put it there .....
    That's quite alright. I just moved it to hopefully get you more thoughts on your issue

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I would let a competent mechanic that you know and trust evaluate the situation for you since you seem to not know how things work.

If you don't know a good mechanic then I suggest you look for one.

FYI: It's extermely difficult to evaluate what may or may not have gone wrong with the info you've supplied. Being on the spot (i.e., a local mechanic with the truck in front of you) helps immensely. Look for ASE certification and/or AAA aproval if you don't already know or have a mechanic you trust.

95' z71

my father is a mechanic...well the only one i know and trust... he has worked on trucks and cars for all his life and is certified...but he just wants to get a new motor... so ... idk im gonna try things myself b/c he does not listen to me... so anyway... thats what i have to do... i dont have a whole lot of money

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

my father is a mechanic...well the only one i know and trust... he has worked on trucks and cars for all his life and is certified...but he just wants to get a new motor... so ... idk im gonna try things myself b/c he does not listen to me... so anyway... thats what i have to do... i dont have a whole lot of money
    That being the case then maybe it would be in your best interest to listen to his advice and go with what he says/suggests.

Sorry but not being on top of this (i.e., present and able to evaluate the situation) that's all I have to offer.

Good luck!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

when you turn the key exactly what happens? Does it click and do nothing or crank but not start?

Red
    2001 ws6

did you try to turn the crank pulley? what happened?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

okay well i start from the beginning ... i checked my oil it needed some so i put some in it... but i accidently put to much so i was driving it around and i was going up a hill to my uncles house to eat and it staped then i got it started again...then i got a little ways down the road and it stoped again this time i could not get it started so i called my dad and he came and he finnally got it started .... oh this whole time my "check gauges light has been on... so anyway.. he got it stated and my check engines light turned off..so i thought okay this wil be okay...it ran for about a day or so..then i put 10.00 gas in it... i rode around and then went to the dollar store ... i went to get back in the truck it would turn over and i got it started ...i got started in reverse and then it stopped again...and now it will not turn over .. my father put a new starter thing in it... and thats not it so he says its locked up....

i thought locked up and seized was the same thing...maybe not...he says its locked up ... so if thats different/....
    How low on oil was the motor before you put more oil in? If you have an oil leak then you could have locked/seized the motor. Low oil will cause engine death over time.

Thread Information