Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Talking Are new Valves necessary for rebuild??

What up LS1's......my question is do I need to have new intake/exhaust valves for my rebuild?? I just ordered the Texas Speed 224R on 114LSA w/7.35 hardened pushrods to match the LS7 Lifters I ordered. I also purchased the updated 918 Spring from Comp Cams.

Additionally I'm having my stock heads ported & polished.
    Since I have a 98 6speed LS1 I also purchased ARP Rod Bolts for insurance. My car has 59,000 miles on it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    What up LS1's......my question is do I need to have new intake/exhaust valves for my rebuild?? I just ordered the Texas Speed 224R on 114LSA w/7.35 hardened pushrods to match the LS7 Lifters I ordered. I also purchased the updated 918 Spring from Comp Cams.

Since I have a 98 6speed LS1 I also purchased ARP Rod Bolts for insurance. My car has 59,000 miles on it.

Your vavles will be fine. You would gain more power if you got a angle job and new/bigger valves but don't sweat it.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Thanks man I appreciate the info. Have good night.

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post

Since it’s a 98 replace the oil pump while you’re doing the cam. 98s are famous for their oil pumps to just stop work with out any warning. For valves you should be fine, but like said before, a nice set of lighter and good 3 or 5angle job valves well do you well. Also I’d replace the spring retainers with titanium retainers; they are not that expensive and well greatly reduces your valves train weight and reduce your chances of floating a valve.
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

Hard to tell from the internet whether the valves are re-usable.

Most cases they are. Depends on mileage, type of guides used, type of rockers used and the camshaft. From what I've seen,,,even stock cast iron guides are worn to excessive clearances in as little as 70,000 miles with a stock camshaft.
    A good machine shop will mic everything to make sure you have proper valve guide clearance. Sometimes replacing the guides alone aren't enough to bring it back to spec if the valve stems are worn excessively. If they say they will nurl the guides take them somewhere else.
    Too much clearance and you have oil sucking issues. To little and you have a gulled up valve guide and a valve that hangs in the head, then the piston smacks it. Either way, use a reputable shop.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by vetteemt View Post
    Since it’s a 98 replace the oil pump while you’re doing the cam. 98s are famous for their oil pumps to just stop work with out any warning. For valves you should be fine, but like said before, a nice set of lighter and good 3 or 5angle job valves well do you well. Also I’d replace the spring retainers with titanium retainers; they are not that expensive and well greatly reduces your valves train weight and reduce your chances of floating a valve.
    Thanks man I appreciate the info. You know I actually ordered chromoly spring retainers. I read that Titanium retainers don't hold up as long to the friction as chromoly......I also read chromoly is lighter than plain steel.........I'd appreciate your thoughts on that also........Yeah and the Oil pump...good call.....I'm actually waiting to purchase the Lingenfelter High Volume Oil pump to complete my parts list. Thanks again for the help....

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Hard to tell from the internet whether the valves are re-usable.

Most cases they are. Depends on mileage, type of guides used, type of rockers used and the camshaft. From what I've seen,,,even stock cast iron guides are worn to excessive clearances in as little as 70,000 miles with a stock camshaft.
    A good machine shop will mic everything to make sure you have proper valve guide clearance. Sometimes replacing the guides alone aren't enough to bring it back to spec if the valve stems are worn excessively. If they say they will nurl the guides take them somewhere else.
    Too much clearance and you have oil sucking issues. To little and you have a gulled up valve guide and a valve that hangs in the head, then the piston smacks it. Either way, use a reputable shop.
    Good info!!!! Man your right on....in fact my neighbor was just telling me to take my valves to a good shop so they can refreshen them....will do...Thanks .......

white
    83 mustang coupe

Has any one had any trouble breaking stock ls1 valves with a 600 lift cam?

Thread Information