Thread: new to a v8

black
    1998 Camaro SS

new to a v8

This is the first time ive actually owned a car with more than 4 cylinders lol and i have a couple dumb questions. i have a 98 camaro ss, slp intake w/k&n and an slp lm exhaust. i was wondering how hard is too hard pushing this car. is driving WOT ok as long as i dont let the rpms go to high and is lettin in rev to 5k rpm ok? ive never really raced a car or drivin one hard bc ive never needed to, never had a car fast enough to drive hard. Also, was lookin for more horsepower to put in. what do you guys think would be the best bet for more horsepower at a lower cost?

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Congrats on the purchase, As far as driving it hard, thats how our cars are meant to be driven, just ensure you use good fluids and keep up on your maint..
    As far as more Hp i would look into some suspension work, sub frame connectors etc..
    You allready have the basics covered, Lt headers would be a good upgrade with a dyno tune..
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

White
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Our cars are meant to be driven hard. I have punished my car since I purchaed it; the car has 100,000 miles on it and runs perfect.

black
    2002 WS6

Before you end up killing your self with inexperiance. take it easy the first few weeks and get to know the car. I've scared my self a few times with mine not being fully aware of just what was under the hood.

But yea get the structure of the car looked after with subframe connectors and suspenion upgrades.

Collector Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am CE

161mph might be too fast for a stock Bird.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

just like these guys said......go easy on the car for a while. I'm assuming most or all of your 4 bangers were front wheel drive. 300+HP and rear wheel drive is a completely different animal. I personally wouldn't just beat on my car. I'm guessing your proud of it and would like to keep it around a while. Running it hard on occasion won't hurt and the LS1 is a pretty sturdy engine. I wouldn't free rev my car on a regular basis either. Get used to it and take it to the track a time or two.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

dont free rev it, but if your going to floor it, let it go till it shifts!

Thread Information