Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

new stall install

This is a discussion on new stall install within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Did the tuner compensate for the MAF mods? Porting and de-screening it altered its calibration....

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Did the tuner compensate for the MAF mods? Porting and de-screening it altered its calibration.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Did the tuner compensate for the MAF mods? Porting and de-screening it altered its calibration.
    I imagine he did, I gave him a list of modifications that I did to the vehicle before he ran it on the dyno, the vehicle was on the dyno for 4 1/2 hours, and when it was completed, he told me not to change the MAF ends back to the stock ones, that one of the modifications he had made was to address the change. He told me the vehicle would not run properly with the stock MAF ends.

On the initial dyno run my WOT A/F ratio was 15.3:1, it was adjusted down to 13.2:1 WOT. I believe my idle A/F ratio is 14.3 or 14.4:1.

SteveC
    Last edited by SteveC; 06-28-2012 at 04:23 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I don't want to thread jack here but since there's kind of a tune theme going I figure someone else might take something away from it. If you're hearing ping I would want to log the car to see exactly what's going on and how much timing you're running and any knock retard you might be getting. I don't doubt the tuner....it may have been fine on the dyno but for me personally I would want that AFR a little more conservative than that. You could be getting timing pulled via knock retard and not even be aware of it. You could be losing several degrees of timing over the course of a run depending on how the knock tables were set up. I'm not saying run out and get a retune, especially if the car is running fine, but I would want to know exactly what's going on with it particularly on hot or warmer days. People tune for that AFR....it's just that I personally would want more wiggle room than that.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I don't want to thread jack here but since there's kind of a tune theme going I figure someone else might take something away from it. If you're hearing ping I would want to log the car to see exactly what's going on and how much timing you're running and any knock retard you might be getting. I don't doubt the tuner....it may have been fine on the dyno but for me personally I would want that AFR a little more conservative than that. You could be getting timing pulled via knock retard and not even be aware of it. You could be losing several degrees of timing over the course of a run depending on how the knock tables were set up. I'm not saying run out and get a retune, especially if the car is running fine, but I would want to know exactly what's going on with it particularly on hot or warmer days. People tune for that AFR....it's just that I personally would want more wiggle room than that.
    Thanks for the input, the vehicle is running fine, with no tuning problems whatsoever, it is not the fastest car on the road, nor does it make a tremendous amount of horespower (298RWHP/ 365RWTQ), it is alot of fun to drive, more than I can handle. If I remember correctly, the tuner said he had to retard the timing 2 degrees to stop the pinging, which does not occur unless the outside temperature is in excess of 95F.

I wipe the inside of my tailpipes every time I finish driving the car, and I always get a very light black carbon deposit on the paper towel, nothing major at all.

SteveC
    Last edited by SteveC; 06-28-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information