Black
    2001 Trans Am

New ride, problems

Ok, so I just picked up a 01 Trans Am. 107,xxx on it. Overall clean, and ran great. UNTIL this morning. Go figure right? Well, CEL came on. Got them checked. #1 and #2 cyl's are running lean, mass air flow sensor problem. And also there was a code for the knock sensor. Woohoo, go me. So, any ideas? How often do the knock sensors usually go out on these? I know the MAF isn't to exspensive to replace. But, as far as the other stuff. Think there could actually be a problem? Cus the car pulls like a raped ape and doesn't feel like any timing is being pulled by the computer. Please provide input, thank you much.

P.S. Details, I know some will be curious.
    Black/black WS6
    T-tops
    Tragomatic(spare me)
    35th ann. Camaro wheels

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

MAF could be causing the other issue. if you are getting a code for that replace it and try that.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Check to see if the MAF is an aftermarket. If it is, buy a new/used STOCK (STOCK) [STOCK] maf. Im guessing that is the problem. You wont necessarily 'feel' if the ECM is pulling timing for KR. Check that MAF, get back with us. I bet its that.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    MAF could be causing the other issue. if you are getting a code for that replace it and try that.
    Your quicker

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

im not an LS1 owner but i could be wrong. I was thinking knock sensors werent too big of a deal to replace either.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    im not an LS1 owner but i could be wrong. I was thinking knock sensors werent too big of a deal to replace either.
    No, they are not at all.

Black
    2001 Trans Am

Good to go. I'll check that out n throw in a stock unit from a friends F-body to see if that fixes the problem. Thanks for the advice.

Also, a new knock sensor is only like $45. So not to bad. But, there is a small exhaust leak and some other small noises in the engine bay. Think there is any way something could be setting it off if the MAF doesn't fix that? Either way, I'm going to invest in a wideband for just incase purposes and get a decent tune, hopefully if there are any decent dyno's in the area that can tune worth a damn. .

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Your quicker
    you are more knowledgeable

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I do believe two knock sensors/ harness is right at 95 bucks from GM.

I still need to pick up a set.. dam 98s knock sensors..

As for 1 and 2 cylinders running lean it means 1 and 2 banks IE.. left and right 02 sensors detecting a lean condition.

Before you go spending big money... go get a 9 dollar can of MAF crc cleaner. If you have a K&N filter that might be your problem. Clean the maf, take off the battery cable and reset it and see what happens.

If its still there... then change the maf... then if its still there... change both knock sensors and use lots of silicone .. water collects under the intake and can easily take out knock sensors if your vehicle is a DD or you wash your engine often.

Black
    2001 Trans Am

The filter is a Fram Airhog er some shit. Came with the car. Also, there is a small knock in the top end. Nothing to loud, and I know its not a rod. Any ideas? I'm guessing that its just because of the miles. But, any suggestions would be great. Also, I changed the serpentine belts and the main one keeps fucking jumping off. Any tips? I'm thinkin its just the tensioner.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by NashCar View Post
    The filter is a Fram Airhog er some shit. Came with the car. Also, there is a small knock in the top end. Nothing to loud, and I know its not a rod. Any ideas? I'm guessing that its just because of the miles. But, any suggestions would be great. Also, I changed the serpentine belts and the main one keeps fucking jumping off. Any tips? I'm thinkin its just the tensioner.
    I dont know about the first few questions as thats hard over the internet. But for the belt jumping off, thats very common. Very easy fix. Buy a Katech tensioner. It will solve all those problems. I love mine. Pretty cheap also.

As for the top end 'noise'.... these engines are noisy, ever listen to one with a new cam and different valve train? Just how it is sometimes.

Black
    2001 Trans Am

Well, I think I know what the CEL is from. It has a Granatelli mass air flow sensor. . . . So I gotta get a stock replacement. After that, hopefully the CEL will stay off after I reset everything. I did a few basic things this weekend. Replaced the tensioner, both belts, oil and rearend fluid. Next is tranny fluid and filter, I just had to figure out what kind of filter it is, because according to Autozone there are 2 different kinds? What ever. As for the top end noise, I donno what the hell it is or what I could do to fix it. But it sounds like a loose rocker arm er somethin. I donno. I think I'm gonna rebuild the heads n throw in higher ratio rocker arms and maybe a Zo6 cam to spice it up a bit while im in there. Any advice on what rocker arms to run and what kind of pushrods and valve springs to use? Im looking for a very mild setup. Last thing I want to do is fry the high milage stock 4l60e. . .

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Mild setup? Stock rocker arms, 224 cam, correct length PR (probably 7.4) and a 26918 spring.

Thread Information