Black
    1998 Trans-Am

Unhappy New racetronix pump not pumping

I have been having fuel problems ever since I replaced my my stock fuel pump and fpr with a new 255lph pump and aftermarket reg last year. It was only pushing around 50psi and I finnally got it up to about 56 by putting more pressure on the reg spring. I thought I had found the problem so I installed another fpr, a delphi this time, and another fuel filter afterwards the fp would energize but produce no fuel (checked with pressure guage) checked fuel lines they are all clear. Thinking the pump gears had stripped I ordered a new racetronix performance fp with new sock and wiring harness. Installed, this time with fuel line disconnected at inline filter, and pump runs but STILL no fuel. I removed the fuel pump and checked to see if the pick-up tube just came loose or got cut during install, no such luck. I even charged the battery to peak and replaced the fuel in the tank. I am out of ideas and I cant keep replacing new parts with new parts. If ANYBODY has ANY advise PLEASE fill me in!
    Last edited by ponyslayer; 11-23-2011 at 11:29 AM.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I'd pull the pump and bench test it. Use a different pickup tube. If the pump works on the bench, the problem would be the pickup tube or line to the filter.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I agree with Walt.

Black
    1998 Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    I'd pull the pump and bench test it. Use a different pickup tube. If the pump works on the bench, the problem would be the pickup tube or line to the filter.
    the new pump came with a new tube already checked it for leaks. Not sure how to SAFELY bench test it...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Stupid question... but is there fuel in the tank?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I have been there in the "no fuel in the tank" before lol. Have you replaced the fuel filter? If you disconnect the line at the fuel filter and put a bucket under it does fuel comes out when you turn the key to the on position? Are you getting full 12v at the pump?

I had an issue with the flex tube from racetronix. After I installed mine my pressure will drop instanly after I trun the car off. It turns out a had a pinhole in the flex tube. I had to melt down the small hole to fix it. Did you look to make sure the flex tube was not cut?
    Last edited by JayTA98; 11-24-2011 at 05:28 AM.

Black
    1998 Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Stupid question... but is there fuel in the tank?
    Yes, tank is almost full

Black
    1998 Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    I have been there in the "no fuel in the tank" before lol. Have you replaced the fuel filter? If you disconnect the line at the fuel filter and put a bucket under it does fuel comes out when you turn the key to the on position? Are you getting full 12v at the pump?

I had an issue with the flex tube from racetronix. After I installed mine my pressure will drop instanly after I trun the car off. It turns out a had a pinhole in the flex tube. I had to melt down the small hole to fix it. Did you look to make sure the flex tube was not cut?
    I replaced the filter and the line is disconnected before the filter, nothing comes out. I carged the battery its got a full charge. The first thing I checked was the flex tube, no holes, the fuel doesnt even make it out of the pump (tube was still dry inside).

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Only other guess I would have is that the wiring is messed and the pump may be running backwards (if that is possible). If you can't find a problem with the wiring or a blockage between the pump and where you are checking for fuel you'll have to pull it. Like Knight recommended, after pulling it you can then bench test it. You'll need to immerse it in fluid obviously, not sure if I would use gasoline though and not sure what an acceptable alternative is for the sake of safety. Anyone?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

If he is going to bench tested I will use a bucket of gasoline. make sure that you pre wire the pump and have enough wire away from the 12v source for safety.

I'm sorry to say it but you will need to pull the pump out. Either the pump is losing vaccum or it might be defective.

what jeff mentioned about the wires been backwards makes sense. Let me check my spare pump and i can tell you if it makes a difference is flow. Stand by.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 11-24-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Ok I have a brand new ractronix fuel pump out of the box and I put it directly to the battery with the correct polarity (black to neg and gray to pos) and I put my finger in the pump intake and i can feel suction on my finger. If i put the cables backwards(black to pos and gray to neg) the pump works BUT I DONT GET SUCTION ON MY FINGER. I think like jeff mentioned you might have the power cables inverted.

Check the wiring, if anything you can invert the power wires and see if the car starts (or build pressure in the gauge). You can also disconnect the racetronix harness and install the regular plug to the OEM wiring to see if the racetronix wiring is the issue. If you still have the same issue then is possible the wires inside the tank are backwards. this meaning if the pump is not defective.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 11-24-2011 at 09:40 AM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Any updates?

Black
    1998 Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    Any updates?
    Checked wiring and all is as should be, at the tank and in the tank... Also I got no suction on my finger from the TOP of the pump at the flex tube while running

Black
    1998 Trans-Am

Not really sure what happend but I just went out and tried the pump one more time with the pump slightly out of the tank and a catch jug at the end of the feed line and it worked. I re-installed the pump and it produced 60psi, not sure why but at least it seems to have worked it self out for now. Thanks JAYTA98 for your efforts and everyone else with input!!!!!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

no problem im glad it you got it working.

Thread Information