Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

New problem bad backfire??

This is a discussion on New problem bad backfire?? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Well I have 32 lb injectors which should be fine....

pewter
    2000 T/A WS.6

Well I have 32 lb injectors which should be fine.

NBM/Phantom Black
    1998 Pontiac TA/2004 GTO

Still need help....

Had a chance to put about 150 miles on the car. Normal driving, i.e. not taking the tach past 3,000, the car does well unless you put the aceelerator to the floor. Even lugging on the interstate, when you are at 1,500 to 2,000 in 5th or 5th gear and mash the gas, it will stutter and shake which will stop if you ease off the gas.

Now, the problem really starts if you get into it. Take it to 5,000 or over and it will stutter, then die. Get ready for the lodest 2-3 backfires you could ever imagine. So, clutch it, wait for the engine to totally stop and then let out on the clutch to start it back up and continue on your way.

I recently had the car tuned and the O2s/Check Engine light turned off. The tuner supposedly didn't have any problems. At this point I reall would consider taking the car anywhere (except a dealership) to have some troubleshooting done. Not many LS1 tuners near me, so what should I do?? Or where should I take it?? Any ideas??

White
    1998 Trans Am

That sounds just like what mine did with a damaged reluctor ring on the crank... Hope not, because it wasn't fun to fix... I could rev the hell out of it just fine, but under WOT conditions, it sounded like an elephant gun going off, stall out, but then it would start up and run fine. Maybe try a crank sensor and maybe a crank relearn...

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by 98NBMTA View Post
    Had a chance to put about 150 miles on the car. Normal driving, i.e. not taking the tach past 3,000, the car does well unless you put the aceelerator to the floor. Even lugging on the interstate, when you are at 1,500 to 2,000 in 5th or 5th gear and mash the gas, it will stutter and shake which will stop if you ease off the gas.

Now, the problem really starts if you get into it. Take it to 5,000 or over and it will stutter, then die. Get ready for the lodest 2-3 backfires you could ever imagine. So, clutch it, wait for the engine to totally stop and then let out on the clutch to start it back up and continue on your way.

I recently had the car tuned and the O2s/Check Engine light turned off. The tuner supposedly didn't have any problems. At this point I reall would consider taking the car anywhere (except a dealership) to have some troubleshooting done. Not many LS1 tuners near me, so what should I do?? Or where should I take it?? Any ideas??

I DO NOT LIKE THIS!!! Packy knows about this as well and he is not a fan either. Do you have access to a scanner? What mods do you have? Without a CEL lighting up, your engine could be a possible time bomb. You could be getting upper rev range lean codes without you knowing it.

NBM/Phantom Black
    1998 Pontiac TA/2004 GTO

Thanks for the advice...

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I DO NOT LIKE THIS!!! Packy knows about this as well and he is not a fan either. Do you have access to a scanner? What mods do you have? Without a CEL lighting up, your engine could be a possible time bomb. You could be getting upper rev range lean codes without you knowing it.
    I realize the concern, but the guy that scanned the car had it for >4 months and reports that he tested it, scanned it, and tuned it. Now, the car is much better than when I initially took it to him, but it still "acts up" when I take the tach up (which I only did to see what would happen).

So, my next step is....I left the car with my dad and he is going to take it to a tuner with a dyno in Bowling Green (he is much closer to BG than me and he is much more of a grease monkey than I am...it makes me jealous). I'll keep you updated, but at this point I don't have much hope....And, dad knows to keep the tach under 3,000....

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I think your car will be okay afterward. Could be something a more detailed tune will fix.

black
    1998 Camaro SS

I had a problem with my 98 ss with back firing and it would studder while i accelerated. The problem ended up being bad header gaskets. the gaskets that came with the lt headers were really crappy and started leaking right after i started driving it again. got the gaskets from dealer and car runs great.

pewter
    2000 T/A WS.6

Does this look like a good wideband to get??

http://www.lsxtune.com/shop/product_...roducts_id/537

White
    1998 Trans Am

That's the one I have now... Frost told me to get rid of it and look for a LM1 unit. It's not accurate on data logging...

pewter
    2000 T/A WS.6

Well the prob with that is I don't have the cash. And it seems to in depth and I don't tune my own car

pewter
    2000 T/A WS.6

Anybody else??

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Have a tuner look at your car or PM Frost.

pewter
    2000 T/A WS.6

So idk if this will give any1 new ideas but I put in my old fuel pump. Figured i'd c if it were gettin to much fuel. Didn't really help. But I pulled plugs from each side. I pulled the first on passenger side and it was fine. Pulled 2 on drivers side and it was pitch black.

yellow
    2004 gto

get that baby tuned.... after the bolt on's has it ever had a good tune??? need to see whats going on with it. i would start with a tune, other wise your going to be scratching your head and throwing away good money for parts you dont need

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by FBracing1222 View Post
    So idk if this will give any1 new ideas but I put in my old fuel pump. Figured i'd c if it were gettin to much fuel. Didn't really help. But I pulled plugs from each side. I pulled the first on passenger side and it was fine. Pulled 2 on drivers side and it was pitch black.
    Sounds like the drivers side is running rich and the passenger side is running ok. So the only things I can think of that would only affect one bank is leaky driver's side fuel injectors or a bad O2 sensor. I'd say most likely its the drivers side O2 sensor.

pewter
    2000 T/A WS.6

And now it won't start again. Could it be the coil pack?? And it was tuned by speed Inc after the cam

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I'd check your IGNITION Relay in the underhood fuse block. It provides power to both the fuel injectors and the ignition coils.

pewter
    2000 T/A WS.6

Soooooo it LIVES. It turned out to be a rustY wire, thatt had a horrid connection with the crank sensor. Witch caused It to act like the sensor was real F'd up. Thanks for all the help and ideas guys. I'm just glad I got to take it out tonight ( first time since last oct) and let her rip without blowing up

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

good to hear it's finally fixed!!!

pewter
    2000 T/A WS.6

Thanks and ur tellin me haha. it was getting to the point of not even carting anymore it was such a headache. I knew it would end up being something dumb to

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information