Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

New problem bad backfire??

This is a discussion on New problem bad backfire?? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; The main difference under WOT is it switches to the fuel adder table and of course different areas of the ...

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

The main difference under WOT is it switches to the fuel adder table and of course different areas of the VE and timing tables. When you say you got it running, what was wrong? What work did you do to get it going? What mods are on the car?

pewter
    2000 T/A WS.6

Well I changed the fuel pump to a racetronix kit and changed the crank pos sensor but none of that did anything. Then one day it finally cranked over and stutered for a while then finally ran right. So I think the engine was flooded with fuel. The mods r full bolt on fast 90/90, 32 lb injectors,Lt header,bassani true duals, tr55 plugs msd wires, ms3 cam with comp rods and dual valve springs on a SD tune from speed Inc.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

do you have a scan tool or wide band to see if its running lean??

pewter
    2000 T/A WS.6

Nope unfort not

pewter
    2000 T/A WS.6

Well now its dieing at like 2-3 grand just without te back fire. I will be driving at like 2 grand in 3rd going like 30. Then it will like jump slightly And make like a slitgh clunking noise and the car will die. I dont think I will ever figure this dam car out.

NBM/Phantom Black
    1998 Pontiac TA/2004 GTO

Any update.....I've been having the same problem....

pewter
    2000 T/A WS.6

Nope still does it. Have no idea

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by FBracing1222 View Post
    Nope still does it. Have no idea
    I had this prob a while back too. But on my 6er.. Turned out to be a weak and dieing coil.. If I babied it it would go without much trouble. But when @ WOT it would, misfire, backfire, spitter, etc,etc.. Tore the whole top end down looking for a posible coolant leak, before putting it back together moving one coil around and sure enough the misfire moved too.. Just a guess on possiblities for yours.. But it sounds sooo similer..

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

dying at 2 or 3 grand kinda sounds like there could be something up with the ractronix fuel mod.sounds like its not getting fuel.maybe hook a gauge up where you can see it when the car dies.just a thought

pewter
    2000 T/A WS.6

It doesn't really die till 5 and above. It only did that a few times and hasent done it in months.

04 Pontiac GTO

hmm..i would probably get that looked at

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

The problem is that backfiring like that can be many things. I really think your time would be well spent by getting it scanned. It's either leaning out cause the maf or injectors are not getting the right fuel, or it's loading up, bad sensor signals, etc. Does it blow back smoke - smell like gas, or any other clues?

pewter
    2000 T/A WS.6

Well first no maf, speed density. No smoke and it does smell like gas but I figure it would with the cam and what not. I got it put on a diagnostic machine and everything looke good except for a small thing with the crank

NBM/Phantom Black
    1998 Pontiac TA/2004 GTO

Frustrated...

Had the TA scanned and tuned and everything seems to be ok (per the guy tuning it for me). The guy actually kept it for 4-6 months trying to figure out what the problem is. He says the only thing that he could find was the computer wasn't fully seated down and plugged in. So, he tunes it, checks for codes, and turns off the O2 sensors, then turns the car back over to me....

On the way home the car runs better than it ever has.....until....at a stoplight, well, I decide to unleash it...just a little bit. I get into pretty good, take it to 5000 in first, then hit second and....BOOM. The absolute loudest backfire of all time (the person following me says it was most definitely from the muffler) and she dies. Now, as always, if I let it coast, clutch it, gear down, the let off the clutch, she'll fire right back up and go on.

Normal driving is fine, but if I get into it there is a tremendous backfire and it will die. Thank God it has started back up everytime. So, at this point,i am so frustrated that I am ready to start taking offers.... '98 LS1 with 109,000 original miles....

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Honestly guys this sounds like a lean backfire at high rpms to me. It should be pretty easy to diagnose if you guys would/could spend a little money on some diagnostic tools. One thing you could do is get a wideband O2 sensor/gauge and see if it is a lean backfire. From there you could check fuel pressure while your driving around. Or maybe your injectors are too small or clogged up.
    Without some solid diagnostic leads, the guessing game can only go so far.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Honestly guys this sounds like a lean backfire at high rpms to me. It should be pretty easy to diagnose if you guys would/could spend a little money on some diagnostic tools. One thing you could do is get a wideband O2 sensor/gauge and see if it is a lean backfire. From there you could check fuel pressure while your driving around. Or maybe your injectors are too small or clogged up.
    This! "BUT" am I mistaken, I thought 99% of backfires were caused by being rich
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    This! "BUT" am I mistaken, I thought 99% of backfires were caused by being rich
    Or becomming rich after being/ pulling lean..

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

you said you check the spark plug wires. did you watch for spark in all of them or did you tried using an ohmeter and check each one of them? I know is probably more inclined to be with the rich/lean curve but this could cause problems too and is something simple to fix...

pewter
    2000 T/A WS.6

I did with the first 2 on each side

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I am wondering this too. I thought with a larger intake plenum you had to swap for bigger injectors.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information