Thread: New Motor Help

Black
    98 Camaro

New Motor Help

I remember seeing a while back where guys had blown their engines and went to something else for around 3 grand..but i cant seem to find the thread anywhere that told what engine it was..where it was from or anything. Any help would be great!

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

how much horsepower and torque does it put out.

red
    02 trans am ws6

405hp It's the same as the z06 motor. only rated at 400 because it's a caddy motor.

Black
    98 Camaro

Looks like a great deal to me. Is it a bolt in ready to go engine? As in all internals are there and everything you need to run. Also, if i was going to buy one, whats an ls1 out of my 98z with 78XXX miles worth?

red
    02 trans am ws6

Where in Iowa are you? I have a m6 so I had to change the pilot bearing. Yours being A 98 you might have to do some work to get the coils mounted, or different valve covers not sure. Other then that I would swap the intake out for a ls6 and you will need to change the harmonic balancer. I think thats it, if I remember anything else I will let you know. As far as whats the motor worth not really sure. A running one goes for round $2000 on Ebay with the computer and wiring.

Black
    98 Camaro

Massena its southwest iowa. About halfway between des moines and omaha. Im really thinking about buying the LS6, but i just want it to be a smooth transition into my car. Just wanting to know everything i will need to have. After i would get it, i would just sell the ls1 to get money back. no use in keeping it around.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

It's a drop in, but you will need a water pump, a starter motor, of course these will fit from the LS1. The oil pan will have to go from your LS1 over to the LS6 too, so if it's damaged for any reason, you'll need that. My windage tray inside the engine was damaged from the broken rod in the original LS1, so we had to get one of those, otherwise it was a sweet swap. We took advantage and did a bunch of mods at the same time, but the motor is rated at 405HP (400 INSTALLED in the caddy) 400 torque as it is a real Z06 engine. remember to have your computer reset the fuel cut off and rev limit raised, as it is set lower for the LS1.
    You will love this motor, it is a torquer!!!Traction will become a new challenge. I never knew how much fun our cars could be until they have over 400HP. Mine is closer to 500HP though. Count on spending around $300.00 for delivery costs. Last thing...The $4725.00 LS6 motor has a 36k 3 year warranty, your LS6 will have a 12k 1 year warranty because you are NOT installing it in a CTS-V...those are the breaks! My warranty was void because of the cam and mods anyway.

red
    02 trans am ws6

Mine was shipped to Iowa for 150$ I went with the UMI tubular K member so I didn't have the change the pan. Check the clearence of the pilot bearing if you have a m6 you need the one that installs in the crank not the outer edge!! The swap is painless. You may have to switch some sensors. I had to swap out the oil level sensor. I also had access to a lift so it made it that much quicker. Dave at crateenginedepot.com was and is a great guy to deal with, very helpful even after the sale. Good luck I live I'm guessin 80 miles or so from you 98 so if you need a hand let me know.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 01LSS6Camaro View Post
    It's a drop in, but you will need a water pump, a starter motor, of course these will fit from the LS1. The oil pan will have to go from your LS1 over to the LS6 too, so if it's damaged for any reason, you'll need that. My windage tray inside the engine was damaged from the broken rod in the original LS1, so we had to get one of those, otherwise it was a sweet swap. We took advantage and did a bunch of mods at the same time, but the motor is rated at 405HP (400 INSTALLED in the caddy) 400 torque as it is a real Z06 engine. remember to have your computer reset the fuel cut off and rev limit raised, as it is set lower for the LS1.
    You will love this motor, it is a torquer!!!Traction will become a new challenge. I never knew how much fun our cars could be until they have over 400HP. Mine is closer to 500HP though. Count on spending around $300.00 for delivery costs. Last thing...The $4725.00 LS6 motor has a 36k 3 year warranty, your LS6 will have a 12k 1 year warranty because you are NOT installing it in a CTS-V...those are the breaks! My warranty was void because of the cam and mods anyway.
    okay i would really like to know what mods you added 2 get near 500hp(i would like to do the same), and about how much you spent altogether. my camaro got totaled and im considering buying an SS with a lot of miles and swaping in this LS6.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

First the bad news..$12,000 with labor. That includes tuning, engine, SLP LT Headers, complete LM exhaust, rear end girdle until we get the 12 bolt, SLP complete cold air induction, I had to replace the factory MAF, Comp's XR281HR cam, Comp's double roller cam chain, Comp's heavy duty "Beehive" valvesprings, Spec 2 clutch, new water pump, new starter motor, (I didn't care to use the old ones) This is all I can remember as I just woke up. The first, and only pull was a "soft pull" on a "Mustang" dyno during tuning. Then after break in, I took it to a Dyno tech dyno for a corrected flywheel HP rated at 471HP. I still have not allowed it to pull past 5800RPM, and it's pulling hard when we shut it down. The factory pulls the plug [for a LS6] at 6600RPM. Call me crazy, but after having my car sit for almost a year due to a broken rod, and the LS6 uses the same rod as the LS1...I don't want to push it!!!!

You may wonder why I haven't put aftermarket heads on it, same reason, I don't trust the rods over, or even closer to the 500HP mark than what I'm at now. Now I know that there are guys out there reading this thinking "I'm running over 500HP on the factory rods with no probs" That's because you guys don't have a 600lb. paper weight with a 2in. hole in the side of it sitting in your garage right now reminding you that rods do break!
    We could have saved a lot of money and bought different products, but we prefer SLP, and the place where we had the motor work done was a rich boys place...don't ask what they charge by the hour, cuz if you do ya can't afford it kinda place...but we saved for a year to do it right, and I'm glad we did. The tuning alone was a grand! But it runs PERFECTLY! Does it stall it traffic jams? NO! Does it have a sweet lopey idle? You bet it does! It is worth every penny. Now we're saving for the 12 bolt with the 4:11's Some people don't mind living in dept up to their eye balls....we don't prefer it, not being judgemental, just saying that it took a long time to save, but now it was worth it.

Black
    98 Camaro

badazta, thanks i really appreciate it. im looking to do this over the winter when the car will do nothing but sit. I just want to get as much info on the deal as i can. Im guessing the stock ls1 computer will work fine with the ls6?

red
    02 trans am ws6

Yeah the stock will work until you can get it tuned. If you don't throw in a different cam, headers, any aftermarket stuff, that would need to be tuned with an LS1. It's a great swap. I would save and do a cam, and a different intake, depending on the lift of the cam new valve springs and pushrods, I didn't have to buy any gaskets, and hell it even comes with an oil filter. I think the WS6 store will have there dyno up next year so there's a place reletivly close for a dyno tune.(It's based out of Norwalk, Iowa)If you can get a shop with a lift to rent it saves time. (I rented one for 75$ a week) I finished my swap in 6 days, would've ben sooner but I was waiting for my cam to arrive from Cali. If you have any questions just ask there are many of us that did this swap, and I'm sure more then just I are willing to help.

Black
    98 Camaro

Awesome thanks for the info. I know a lot about ls1's, but i want to make sure i know everything about the swap. EVERYTHING! Lol..i just dont want december to come around with a crate engine sitting there, but nothing is getting done because i hadnt known some important information.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

01LSS6 thanks for all the info, that car must be one bad ass car. it must suck not being able to really see what its really got, when you get a 12 bolt it'll probably feel like a different car, oh and why didnt you change the pushrods during the swap?

Black
    98 Camaro

what is the part number for the cheaper LS6 crate engine again?

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

I did change the pushrods as well, remember I just woke up when I did the list and they landed on the cutting room floor lol. I used Comp's pushrods. The part number is...89017653

Thread Information