Blog Entries

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 CAMARO SS

New MAF. Retune?

Just curious...
    My car was stuttering a bit and threw a P0102 code. Came up as an MAF fault. I ended up buying one (stock)on ebay. I installed it tonight and took my car for a spin. Dont know if im paranoid or not, but the car seemed a little sluggish to me....more so in top end. Just felt like the car had more pull before.
    Now ive already had the car dynotuned in the past. So, do I need to retune with the new MAF installed? Is this something that adjusts itself the more I drive?

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

did you have an aftermarket MAF previously? Did you have a stock MAF previously that was de-screened? If it was stock to stock replacement you shouldn't need a re-tune.
    98 WS6 M6 ASC #2647
    Forged Custom 408 w/Vortec YSi

Blog Entries

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 CAMARO SS

Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 View Post
    did you have an aftermarket MAF previously? Did you have a stock MAF previously that was de-screened? If it was stock to stock replacement you shouldn't need a re-tune.
    Yeah it was stock to stock replacement. Now the one I just bought is not an AC Delco. It was one off of ebay that said it was for my Camaro. The sensors look a little different to me. This new one has a resistor in it. Where compared to my original one did not. So was not sure if this is just how they are made now or not. My original had 3 tiny sensor elements where this new one 3 sensors (1 being an actual resistor).
    I drove it about 100miles now. No codes yet. It's a tad puttery below 2k RPM's, but smooths out after that.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

It sounds like maybe the new MAF may have a different calibration value than your old MAF. I would take it in for a retune or have your tuner check it out. He can easily plug in and tell you whether or not the MAF is crap and you need to replace it, you need a retune, or just go speed density and not ever have to worry about a MAF again.

Blog Entries

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 CAMARO SS

Ok thanks bud. Appreciate the help.
    What is speed density by the way? Never heard of that.

Blog Entries

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 CAMARO SS

Ok thanks bud. Appreciate the help.
    What is speed density by the way? Never heard of that.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

so cars determine A/F ratio either by MAF or Speed Density. Both measure air density to determine fuel delivery. Most cars are either MAF or MAP equipped cars. Luckily our cars have both MAF and MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure). So from the factory we run a MAF tune. Incoming air read through the MAF combined with sensor data O2, IAT, ECT, will determine how rich or lean your fuel delivery is. It's a good system but the MAF is kind of dynamic. The older the MAF is, the dirtier is gets, the change in resistance values, the change in fuel delivery. You change a MAF you have to deal with those "dynamic" values. What speed density does is you use your MAP sensor instead of the MAF to make calculated air flow values based on load and RPM. You no longer have to rely on your O2 sensors or MAF to calculate load. Just MAP to calculate your load values. Just like any tune though, you change up a component you have to get a retune. But I highly recommend going speed density. You eliminate the need for a MAF and it's one less part to fail and worry about. No more MAF codes and O2 sensor codes as well on a speed density.

Thread Information