Black

New gears with A4 after tune?

Ok guys just have the ride dyno tuned it's an A4 and I put 3:73's in. With stock gears and new gears before tune it would have solid downshifts at 20-25 and 60-65mph...now after the tune it seems it's good at 15-20mph and the 60 one is non-existent..there is a OK one at 45-50 but still nothing impressive...has anyone else had these issues?? The tuner claims to not have messed with anything via trans but did correct speedo. Not sure if it's tune or trans potentially on its way out..also there 63K original miles on car.

It's been my experience tuning these things that when ever there is a gear change with the auto's, the shift points will need tweaking (mine always have)

Trans tables have rpm as well as mph that have to match to some extent on both upshifts and downshifts. When the rear gear is changed the mph no longer matches the rpm in the tables, so some tweaking has to be done in those tables.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yep.....tuner needs to adjust those tranny tables.

Black
    Thanks guys I'll be letting him know what's got to be done..will it cause any harm to the trans or rear end in the mean time while I wait to get to shop. This is my daily driver for the most part unless I'm taking train to work.

If you drive it civilized I'm sure it would be okay. But I wouldn't wait 3 months to get the issue corrected either.

Black
    Ok so I'm having tuner tweak in trans tables the shift points what he originally put in that would be "mathematically" correct to 3:73's anything over 27mph it wouldn't downshift to 1st that has been bumped to 30 and highway speeds we changed from 61 to 66 for it to shift into 2nd. What kinda of mph do you guys have to be in to get your downshifts?

Depends, I tweak it on the street until I'm happy. Alot has to do with where you have maximum rpm shift points. If the engine is stock and still limited to 6,000 rpm, then your limited to how far up you can bump your downshifts.

With 3.73's, a 3.06 first gear, and 26" tires, and limited to 6,000 rpm, you'll only reach 40 mph before it shifts to 2nd gear. With that said I wouldn't bump the 1st gear downshift any higher than 30 mph.

Black
    Well I wasn't sure to switch the maximum rpm shift point. The internals on motor are all stock should I leave it at 6K max rpm still? The shop is cool with adjusting anything until my liking.

Yep I'd leave that at 6k max since it's stock.

Thread Information