Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

New fuel pump.....Cut a hole?

This is a discussion on New fuel pump.....Cut a hole? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I'd drop the tank instead of cutting holes in my 'Bird...Yikes!! I'd be worried about cutting into the tank, lines, ...

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I'd drop the tank instead of cutting holes in my 'Bird...Yikes!! I'd be worried about cutting into the tank, lines, or wires.
    If your current pump still works, you can disconnect a fuel line (like at the fuel filter), attach some sort of extension hose to it, and hot wire the pump to run constantly and drain your tank into several gas cans, buckets...whatever. Please be careful though, you don't want gas laying around in an open bucket.
    When I was trying to get rid of the slightly older gas in my boat (30 gallons), I was dumping it into the Jeep, the wife's car, the lawn mower, and the snowblower just to get rid of it without storing it in open containers.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

It is major BS that GM didn't put a trap door for the fuel pump. I had a 92 GEO prizm(made by Chevy) and when the pump went out I looked under the rear seat and wallah! A trap door. Took about 10 minutes to put a new fuel pump in.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    Another vote for not being lazy and doing it right, by the time you get the carpet pulled back, the hole cut, pump changed, edges cleaned and sealed to keep out RUST, and the cover plate put back in (see more holes for screws and more chances for RUST), you can have the tank out new pump in and back in, in the same time. Oh did I mention the possabilty of RUST.

Rust huh? hahahahahahaha!!!1

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    It is major BS that GM didn't put a trap door for the fuel pump. I had a 92 GEO prizm(made by Chevy) and when the pump went out I looked under the rear seat and wallah! A trap door. Took about 10 minutes to put a new fuel pump in.
    Hmmm...Geo Prism is made essential made by Toyota, I believe.
    Major BS...sure but its not unheard of. A lot cars/truck are like that. Its not like every repair on every car has to be easy or its a bad design.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Rust huh? hahahahahahaha!!!1
    ah yeah...if you cut and drill holes and don't protect the new bare metal, it'll start to rust. hahaha????

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you really want to get pissed off try doing the pump on a gmc jimmy or trailblazer. The s-series trucks ain't much better.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you really want to get pissed off try doing the pump on a gmc jimmy or trailblazer. The s-series trucks ain't much better.
    Very true

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I know it man- I had a 86 gmc s-15 and had to put a fuel pump in it. I had to extend the fuel line and return line because the stockers were so short it was impossible. Then I had to make certain not to crimp the longer lines when putting the tank back on. Good times!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Hmmm...Geo Prism is made essential made by Toyota, I believe.
    Major BS...sure but its not unheard of. A lot cars/truck are like that. Its not like every repair on every car has to be easy or its a bad design.
    It is essentially a Toyota -they made a car exactly like the Geo Prism. Probably why the car was such a good car (for a little 4 banger). It was givin to me by my brother in law who ran it low on oil and hardly ever changed the oil. When I got it -it had 1 and 3/4 quarts of oil in it and it was black as- well just really black. I changed oil and cleaned it up and it ran perfectly-didn't even burn a drop of oil. Ok enough about the Geo Prism-sorry......LOL

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    ah yeah...if you cut and drill holes and don't protect the new bare metal, it'll start to rust. hahaha????

I guess I find that funny cause I live in Florida. I wouldn't leave it bare metal-I would prime it and put a little undercoating on it. You are right though -it's best to do things the right way but it would be so sweet if they had put a trap door in.
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 03-14-2009 at 03:04 PM.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Trap door. Finish it like it is supposed to have a trap door though.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

F*^& dropping the tank, cut the trap door! Dropping a tank is not fun on any car! I'm cutting the trap door...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information