New exhaust causing major problems!!

This is a discussion on New exhaust causing major problems!! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Well I recently had a "exhaust" shop install some headers and a catback exhaust, sounded beautiful...for a while. Now theres ...

Hear me B4 you see me thechad125's Avatar

Pewter (Goldish Silver)
    02 WS6

New exhaust causing major problems!!

Well I recently had a "exhaust" shop install some headers and a catback exhaust, sounded beautiful...for a while. Now theres a strong smell of gas like the way a little go kart smells or an old truck, it has problems idling sounds like it has a big cam for a bit (which it doesnt..yet.) and it starts to shake but this only happens when it gets warm, when its cold everything is ok. I had a guy suggest that it was the gaskets, but it also sounds like the exhaust is leaking under the car. It loses almost all power, and backfires really bad. I would really apprecciate ur take on this. idk what to do

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like a couple of things may be going on. I would start by carefully looking everything over underhood. Are all the hoses hooked up? Inspect the fuel lines on the driver side of the engine very carefully for leaks. Are there any clearance issues? I had to move my fuel and brake lines up a bit in my tunnel to clear my Y-pipe.

How about the headers, have they loosened up? How about the exhaust clamps? Are the O2 sensors tight? What gaskets did the shop use? The stock GM manifold gasket is actually about the best one to use. I bought a set from the dealership and tossed the Percy's that came with my Kooks. If you have air leaking your PCM could be overfueling the engine as it tries to compensate for what it perceives as a lean condition.

Red
    2001 ws6

sounds to me like you just need a tune but first check nothing is leaking and all the hoses were hooked back up properly.......did you put an ORY or cats back on? check engine light on?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

check the wires going to the O2 sensors...very well could have burnt one on the headers. Also, check for any exhaust leaks prior to the O2's. Did you get race headers or do they have a.i.r. fittings on them? If they do check those carefully and make sure one hasn't broken. What brand of headers?

Pewter (Goldish Silver)
    02 WS6

ok cool ill check all that stuff out and let u guys know what i find and the headers are pacesetter long tubes

Red
    98 Trans Am

I can tell you if you did a ory that your running rich for sure. I just did a header and ORY and my car smells like a gas station lol. Gotta get a tune

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

You dont "Need" a tune when you instail Lt's and Ory. The car will run a tad bit rich but wont affect driveability in any way. Like Orion said, Check:
    1. 02 Sensors, ensure there tight and the Harness hasnt melted. Did they use extensions or splice and connect?
    2. Plugs wires, ensure none of them are burnt or loose.
    3. If you hear an exhaust leak its probly coming from the collector but you will need to pinpoint where its coming from.
    4. While checking your plugs wires it would be worth pulling the boots and ensureing none of the plugs are cracked or chipped.
    5. Any codes or SES light?
    6. If you car had a bunch of miles on it, the 02's were probly on there last leg so there is a chance one or both of them have taken a poo on ya...
    Check those things out and report back to us and we all will help you figure it out...
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Pewter (Goldish Silver)
    02 WS6

I'm about to go check my o2 sensors....i just realized the shop that did it suggested i get corvette o2 sensors??? I dont have my car with me cuz the weathers been bad so borrowed my mothers lol but would vette sensors work? or fit? ....and my car has over 99,000 miles so yea im feeling confident thats what it is
    Last edited by thechad125; 02-24-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Get a set of Bosch 13111 sensors. The harness is a bit long, but you can actually make a nice run with the driver side wiring to keep it completely out of harms way.

Red
    98 Trans Am

+1 ^^^^^^^^ Gives you room to run the wires up and out of moving or hot objects

Pewter (Goldish Silver)
    02 WS6

well turns out it was a dirty fuel filter..lol shouldve been common sense of course but the backfire problem continues...i dropped it off at a performance shop today to put in my cam and told them about the exhaust and they said they would check it...we decided its more than likely the wrong gaskets for the headers

Pewter (Goldish Silver)
    02 WS6

guys that installed my cam fixed everything...lol they found a pinched wire that was causing all kinds of shorts like the MAF sensor and they replaced the o2 sensors, said they were burned out...put my cam in and got an ls2 timing chain tuned it and now its a beast

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by thechad125 View Post
    guys that installed my cam fixed everything...lol they found a pinched wire that was causing all kinds of shorts like the MAF sensor and they replaced the o2 sensors, said they were burned out...put my cam in and got an ls2 timing chain tuned it and now its a beast
    I loves me a happy ending. Glad you got it all squared away.

Thread Information