blue
    99 firebird formula 06GTO

New engine help please.

Just finshshed installing new motor, installed a comp cams 224-224 on a 112 lsa. pace setter lt,s and a ls6 intake, removed screen out of maf sensor. the engine will idle, lopes , because of the cam, but i hear a clatter, may because of old gas or not tuned, how safe is it to drive like this with no tune? should i wait and tune it first, delete rear o2,s, or should it be fine to break in???? any insite would be great!!! car set for 16 months before new motor... didnt get all the old gas out.... Any one know of any dyno shops close to the central Louisiana region????
    Last edited by 99formulals1; 04-19-2008 at 07:28 PM. Reason: bad spelling

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 99formulals1 View Post
    Just finshshed installing new motor, installed a comp cams 224-224 on a 112 lsa. pace setter lt,s and a ls6 intake, removed screen out of maf sensor. the engine will idle, lopes , because of the cam, but i hear a clatter, may because of old gas or not tuned, how safe is it to drive like this with no tune? should i wait and tune it first, delete rear o2,s, or should it be fine to break in???? any insite would be great!!! car set for 16 months before new motor... didnt get all the old gas out.... Any one know of any dyno shops close to the central Louisiana region????
    you can drive it... it will more than likely be running rich as hell... what do you mean by old gas? what octane was the gas? get a dyno tune asap though... no break in is needed...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

did you upgrade the springs? After a spring swap you're gonna have a sewing machine sound most likely. It's hard to tell you whether this is a normal or abnormal noise without listening to it. Valvetrain upgrade along with headers is just gonna make more noise. Nature of the beast but that doesn't mean you don't have something going on. I would get someone to listen to it that knows what they're listening to.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

why did you descreen the maf? well at least your getting it tuned..but i would suggest you pick yourself up a stock maf to throw back on.

blue

old gas ment that the car sat with 1/4 tank in it for 16 months. GOOD news is that i put some new 93 octane w/some octane booster in it and the clattering stopped. Took it out for a break in dive and gave it 1/2 throttle and it burnt the tires to 2nd, now i am very satisfied. I havn't opened it up yet gona do the whole break in thing first but cant wait. thanks for your reply.

blue

the aftermarket maf's dont have a screen and the book i have has a section in it that says you should take the screen out of it, instead of buyng a aftermarket maf.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

the aftermarket maf's dont have a screen and the book i have has a section in it that says you should take the screen out of it, instead of buyng a aftermarket maf.
    what book is that? oh well as long as you get it tuned you'll be ok.

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Where is central La? Im in Baton Rouge and the one place I can think of to call is Thunder Racing. Havent been to their shop to say if they have a dyno or not, but you can call them and ask if they do or know someone who does.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

old gas ment that the car sat with 1/4 tank in it for 16 months. GOOD news is that i put some new 93 octane w/some octane booster in it and the clattering stopped. Took it out for a break in dive and gave it 1/2 throttle and it burnt the tires to 2nd, now i am very satisfied. I havn't opened it up yet gona do the whole break in thing first but cant wait. thanks for your reply.
    ah... ok... just change your fuel filter...

Thread Information