Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree1Likes

The Never Ending Lean Bank 2 Saga........

This is a discussion on The Never Ending Lean Bank 2 Saga........ within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 0rion If it were any of those things it wouldn't just be 1 bank though. Open loop ...

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    If it were any of those things it wouldn't just be 1 bank though. Open loop idle being fine rules out a mechanical issue like spark or injectors. Also rules out the MAF since it's bank specific & runs off the MAF in open loop. Has to either be air entering the exhaust stream on that side, sensor, or electrical. He's replaced sensors so those are off the list. Down to air in the exhaust stream or electrical IMO. Maybe I'm missing something but a fine open loop & bank specific would point me at one of those 2.
    I am going to take a hard look at the ignition on that bank as I am feeling stronger that it is a spark issue. Going to check all four coil outputs to be sure they are firing correctly.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Won't hurt anything to check it but if it were a spark issue it would be there all the time. Do you have a scanner that reads live data? You could watch misfire counts on that bank although if it's super rich that could cause misfires.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Yeah, you are 100% right on that. I was posting between hearings this afternoon over the lunch hour and hadn't thought about the fact that it is a one-sided issue.

How about a lean cylinder on that bank? Easy to check by pulling the plugs and lining them up to see coloration differences.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

A lean cylinder could cause it I guess. I would think though that if it were that lean the car wouldn't run well in open loop. It would sound like a miss. It's just a guessing game really over the internet but my gut is telling me a harness or connector to that front O2 got pinched, burned, or something like that. The only other thing I can think of would be air in the exhaust stream. Like I say though.....it's a guessing game for me at this point. I'm just brain storming more than anything. Bad PCM?? Although these PCM's are pretty reliable and you really don't hear about them shitting the bed very often. If it were both banks acting up that opens the doors to a lot more but since it's 1 bank in closed loop only it can really only be a handful of things. It just needs some trouble shooting done to it and not throwing parts at it because that gets expensive. He's already put quite a few dollars in it from the sound of it. At least on the BBK he can find some other sucker and probably break even on the LS6 intake.

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

I logged some data today that I would like you folks to look at. I don't know how to post it here. I can email it if you PM me your email.

Thanks in advance.

Jon

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Email works, I'll send a PM to verify. I have municipal meetings tonight and tomorrow night so will not be on the site until later.

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

FIXED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the wire bundles (blue connector) going to the PCM was rubbing the bottom edge of the metal cowl and it partially cut through 4 wires. One of which was of course the high side of the bank 2 upstream sensor. So it was almost a perfect ground and therefore voltage never rose over 50mV or so.

Re-insulated all the leads and the bundle, added a tie wrap, and put a piece of rubber between the wire bundle and sharp bottom edge of the cowl.

Car has not run this well in years. I guess the cut into the wire was getting progressively worse over time making a better and better short.

Thanks all for the help and support.

Jon

Red
    1998 Trans Am

Glad you got the problem solved man. Hated to hear you had to go through the trouble of changing all those parts, but at least it is back to running right now.

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Quote Originally Posted by 88gtman View Post
    Glad you got the problem solved man. Hated to hear you had to go through the trouble of changing all those parts, but at least it is back to running right now.
    I have the BBK SSI & BBK 80mm TB up for sale, really the only large part investment I made. I will at worst case break even on the LS6 setup I bought.

I do have A LOT of hours and frustration in it though!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

glad you got it fixed.....they can be a real pain in the ass sometimes. How did you find it? Just start chasing wires? Did you splice the O2 wires? If so keep an eye on your O2's......they've been known to not get along well with splices. Sounds like you're good to go though. Congrats.

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    glad you got it fixed.....they can be a real pain in the ass sometimes. How did you find it? Just start chasing wires? Did you splice the O2 wires? If so keep an eye on your O2's......they've been known to not get along well with splices. Sounds like you're good to go though. Congrats.
    I took out the PCM to clean the contacts. I put the red and blue connectors on their side so I could spray the contact cleaner into the contacts. As soon as I turned the blue connector, I saw there were 3 - 4 nicked wires to where I could see copper. I saw where the wires would normally be and its right under the sharp metal edge of the cowl over the PCM. I check continuity from pin 66 (Bank 2 sensor 1 high side) and sure enough it was the wire with the most exposed copper. That explained everything, the signal was shorting to ground making the PCM think it was lean so it dumped fuel into that bank like crazy.

I reinsulated everything and put the connectors back on the PCM. I wedged a piece of rubber between the top of the wires and the bottom metal edge of the cowl. Problem solved.

I put 4 new 41-110's in on the passenger side, fired it up, watched the scanner and saw the voltage on B2S1 was right there with B1S1, so all was good. Quick 10 miles ride confirmed it all. STFT's were the same for both banks. Idled really smooth.

I was so happy I almost cried.

Thanks for the help and support!!!!!

Jon
    JayTA98 likes this.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Congrats!!!

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Glad to hear. Enjoy!