Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

The Never Ending Lean Bank 2 Saga........

This is a discussion on The Never Ending Lean Bank 2 Saga........ within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 0rion in post 3 he said he swapped them side to side and no difference. Exhaust leak ...

Red
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    in post 3 he said he swapped them side to side and no difference. Exhaust leak on that side is about the only other thing other than the intake that I can think of that would cause the problem. If it were a valvetrain issue I would think he'd be able to hear that. Checking the exhaust over there wouldn't be a bad idea but many people have had issues getting that intake to seal correctly so it still has to be on the table as a cause until it gets ruled out.
    The only time I have seen sealing issues with the BBK is because people forget to replace the valley cover bolt with the supplied button head bolt that comes in the kit. I wonder if the screws on The bottom plate of BBK intake have come loose causing the leak. This is common if he didn't use any blue loct-tite on them prior to installing them.

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Quote Originally Posted by 88gtman View Post
    The only time I have seen sealing issues with the BBK is because people forget to replace the valley cover bolt with the supplied button head bolt that comes in the kit. I wonder if the screws on The bottom plate of BBK intake have come loose causing the leak. This is common if he didn't use any blue loct-tite on them prior to installing them.
    I pulled the BBK some time ago and replace the bottom plate gasket with a new one from BBK, rtv'd both sides of it and re-assembled using Loctite. I did not originally install the BBK, it was one the car when I bought it. The rear most passenger side valley cover bolt was indeed the low profile button type that I assume BBK supplied.

This last time, I also rtv'd around the perimeter of each port gasket to insure there was no leak.

Red
    1998 Trans Am

Hope you find it soon. Did installing the LS6 intake change anything? If the intake wasn't sealing tight them spraying break clean or TB cleaner around the seals whe the engine is running would let you know.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

If you still have vacuum leaks after the LS6 intake install then you might need to consider that the heads might be warped.

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Hope you find it soon. Did installing the LS6 intake change anything? If the intake wasn't sealing tight them spraying break clean or TB cleaner around the seals whe the engine is running would let you know.
    I still have to change the exhaust manifold gasket, the exhaust pipe gasket, the four plugs, and the upstream sensor on that side. Then I will see what's what.
    I may never know if the manifold was the issue as I am tackling several variables at once. As long as it's fixed, I don't care who the culprit was.

Probably sell the BBK intake and 80mm tb as soon as I can clean them up.

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    If you still have vacuum leaks after the LS6 intake install then you might need to consider that the heads might be warped.
    I am changing all the exhaust gaskets on that side too as an exhaust can cause the same symptoms.

Red
    1998 Trans Am

Any update?

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Any update?
    Intake is on, working on pulling plugs to remove exhaust manifold, cat is off, pretty friggin tight back there if you have any kind of forearms.
    Get home from work after 6, just can't get motivated to work on the car, sweat like a pig and have to take a shower.
    Probably won't get finished until this weekend. Got front two manifold bolts out and it got tighter fast.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by jfl330 View Post
    Intake is on, working on pulling plugs to remove exhaust manifold, cat is off, pretty friggin tight back there if you have any kind of forearms.
    Get home from work after 6, just can't get motivated to work on the car, sweat like a pig and have to take a shower.
    Probably won't get finished until this weekend. Got front two manifold bolts out and it got tighter fast.
    If I wasn't 1.5 hours away and wasn't so busy I would go and give you a hand.

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    If I wasn't 1.5 hours away and wasn't so busy I would go and give you a hand.
    I appreciate that! Perhaps once it's ironed out I'll ride over there.

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Oh well, took off a perfectly good bbk intake and tb, replaced perfectly good exhaust gaskets and wasted 10 hours of my valuable time.

STFT>50, LTFT25, really rough idle, B2S1 sensor never over 0.1V, same crap as before.

I guess I have a 3300 pound garage paperweight now.

Good news, I guess I can sell the bbk stuff and recoup what I spent on the LS6 intake.

Navy Blue Metallic

time to start chasing the wire harness & PCM.

I hate chasing electrical gremlins.

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    time to start chasing the wire harness & PCM.

I hate chasing electrical gremlins.
    I bought a new PCM and the problem remained on bank 2. I checked the wiring from the injector connector up to the PCM and they are good.

Red
    1998 Trans Am

Have you checked your fuel pressure. Could be a weak fuel pump. Just a thought.

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Have you checked your fuel pressure. Could be a weak fuel pump. Just a thought.
    No, and I'll be really pissed if that is the problem. I will check it but don't see why that would affect only one bank.

Red
    1998 Trans Am

Don't forget to also check the fuel filter. I have also heard about that causing this problem. If the pump is weak the fuel is not getting to the passenger side of the rail causing the lean condition. Since the fuel feeds into the rail from the driver side it is sucking up most of the fuel before it is getting to the passenger side. That is my theory though. Get a pressure tester and check it. And while you are at it may as well change the fuel filter.

Navy Blue Metallic

Only way I could see that is if those injectors on that side are fualting or fuel rail is clogged.

Try swapping the injectors to the other side. See if it follows.

Not sure how you can check a fuel rail for issues.

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

Maybe with all the parts being changed..should he have it tuned?

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Don't forget to also check the fuel filter. I have also heard about that causing this problem. If the pump is weak the fuel is not getting to the passenger side of the rail causing the lean condition. Since the fuel feeds into the rail from the driver side it is sucking up most of the fuel before it is getting to the passenger side. That is my theory though. Get a pressure tester and check it. And while you are at it may as well change the fuel filter.
    I am going to check the pressure, but the bank (2) reporting lean is getting flooded with gas because the PCM is being told it's lean but it really is not.

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Quote Originally Posted by initechpeter View Post
    Maybe with all the parts being changed..should he have it tuned?
    All the changes have left me exactly where I started. You can't tune for a lean bank, there's something wrong that has to be corrected.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information