Pewter & Mystic Teal!
    2002 CAMARO SS & 1999 TA

Thumbs up needs mo' power! whats the best way???

im looking to get 400-450 to the ground out of my bone stock 2002 ss m6
    but what is the best/easy/cheapest way to do this?

#1 i have been looking into gettin a sts kit
    there site says at 5psi stock cars put down 405hp
    i found a few used kits for around $2000 give or take a $200
    plus what ever the fuel system cost...plus i love the sound of a turbo
    and it would replace the exhaust so it will save me some $$$ there

#2 heads and cam package or just a cam
    can i get into the 400hp range with just a cam??? and other mods, exhaust and such?

or will i need to get a head and cam combo along with full exhaust

i have not looked into pricing on this option

anything will help guys

this is my DD i wanna keep the ac and everything...
    also i wanna stay away from nitrous i would like to have the power with out filling a bottle every time i wanna stomp on it...

thanks

Pewter & Mystic Teal!
    2002 CAMARO SS & 1999 TA

also what kind of track time should i see?

bone stock 2002 m6 12.9 @ 108 woooohoooo!!!!!!
    bone stock 1999 m6 TA 13.4 @ 104 2.1 60' Still has a little more in her!

Pewter & Mystic Teal!
    2002 CAMARO SS & 1999 TA

Anyone?

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

No matter what you do, your gonna want headers catback, lid. All the typical boltons for optimum gain
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

White
    1998 Trans Am

Turbo or supercharger is always the easiest way to get above 400 HP. If it's a dd I would go with a head and cam package will get you into the 400's without having to use to big of a cam so it will have good manners for daily.driving. call Texas Speed they have several head and cam packages and tell them the power your looking for and how you want it to drive and I'm sure they can recommend a setup.
    Patriot sells a head/ small cam/ with 1.8 rockets that should.get you over 400hp sold at ws6store.com.
    That is assuming the usual long tube headers, ypipe, and some.kind of catback. Haven't seen a cammed or forced induction car with stock manifolds so I'm not sure what the power loss would be.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Pewter & Mystic Teal!
    2002 CAMARO SS & 1999 TA

i have been looking around a cam only car are getting into the 400hp range i just dont know what cam i wanna go with

White
    1998 Trans Am

You can get over 400 with a M6 with bolt ons and a cam but you will need to run a good size cam. I am getting my 3200 stall done and using a Texas speed MS3 cam in my car since my friend has one laying around his shop but don't know what the HP numbers will be. Should put me in at least the low 12's according to him. Won't have any #'s till I have a chance to dyno it later.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

start off with your suspension first... making power and not being able to get it to the ground sucks...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I agree with the head and cam kit. Gonna wanna throw in a FAST intake as well. Cam only will require a bigger sized cam. Personally I don't like Patriot heads, look towards Texas Speed and their PRC heads. Ohh ya the STS kit is junk.

Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro SS

I always ask people what their long term plans are for the car. My motto is do it once, and do it right.

If your long term goal for the car is 400-450whp, then heads and cam are your best bet. If you want 500-600+, then you need to switch your train of thought to planning a build. Bigger cubes/Heads/Cam, or turbos, or a supercharger. Start building toward that.

If you want decently big power, I am selling my D1SC procharger kit. You can reasonably make 700-800whp with a proper setup. It would still be streetable. My best friend had a D1 Trans Am that made 813 whp, and he drove it on the street comfortably.
    Last edited by Lucas'02SS; 10-24-2010 at 12:09 PM.

2002 Camaro SS - M6 - FOR SALE - CLICK TO SEE
    1998 VIPER GTS
    2004 GSX-R 750

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I agree with the head and cam kit. Gonna wanna throw in a FAST intake as well. Cam only will require a bigger sized cam. Personally I don't like Patriot heads, look towards Texas Speed and their PRC heads. Ohh ya the STS kit is junk.
    I agree heads will allow a you to use the smaller cam. Although since your car is stock and a 02 it has the LS6 intake just get a ported and polished throttle body for.better flow. A FAST intake isn't going to give you enough HP for what they cost. LS6 intake are good for 450 to 500 HP. I have a friend with a Z28 with ls6 stage 3 heads and a huge cam still running the LS6 just ported the throttle body. That money will be better spent on suspension parts.like sfc's, panhard bar, lca set. Some better headers and ypipe. If you sobs head /cam car make sure.to get a food double roller timing set or at least a LS2 set and a good ported LS6 oil pump at the same time.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    I agree heads will allow a you to use the smaller cam. Although since your car is stock and a 02 it has the LS6 intake just get a ported and polished throttle body for.better flow. A FAST intake isn't going to give you enough HP for what they cost. LS6 intake are good for 450 to 500 HP. I have a friend with a Z28 with ls6 stage 3 heads and a huge cam still running the LS6 just ported the throttle body. That money will be better spent on suspension parts.like sfc's, panhard bar, lca set. Some better headers and ypipe. If you sobs head /cam car make sure.to get a food double roller timing set or at least a LS2 set and a good ported LS6 oil pump at the same time.
    Maybe not worth the money but it does help if you can get one. Guys I know now runnin real low 11s cam only always have the FAST. Will help even more with heads. Yes money can be spent better elswhere and this can always easily be added later.

Thread Information