Needing Lq9 swap info

This is a discussion on Needing Lq9 swap info within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; So i'm finally shaping up the money to get the lq9 i want to put into my '00 trans am. ...

Red
    2000 Trans AM

Wink Needing Lq9 swap info

So i'm finally shaping up the money to get the lq9 i want to put into my '00 trans am. I dont have much planned out yet but I want to go with a stroker. Im still in the research stage so any input or tips will help. I still have the stock ls1 in my car now but theres oil in the radiator and I dont wanna put any more money into it and find out the bearing or crank are bad. I realize Ill need to redo the suspension and rear end which i need to do anyways. if anyone can come up with other tips, component ideas, engine shops in phoenix, or rants against the lq9 stroker please feel free. I've heard the engines are very compatible component wise. I've also heard the lq9 is a direct bolt in to the t56, not sure if thats true, i also heard u have to cut two bolts off. If you've done the swap before please let me know if I can contact you more about info.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by transam_00 View Post
    So i'm finally shaping up the money to get the lq9 i want to put into my '00 trans am. I dont have much planned out yet but I want to go with a stroker. Im still in the research stage so any input or tips will help. I still have the stock ls1 in my car now but theres oil in the radiator and I dont wanna put any more money into it and find out the bearing or crank are bad. I realize Ill need to redo the suspension and rear end which i need to do anyways. if anyone can come up with other tips, component ideas, engine shops in phoenix, or rants against the lq9 stroker please feel free. I've heard the engines are very compatible component wise. I've also heard the lq9 is a direct bolt in to the t56, not sure if thats true, i also heard u have to cut two bolts off. If you've done the swap before please let me know if I can contact you more about info.
    Why would you need to re-do the suspension? I did a stroker as well, how ever more people are starting to to the aluminum block stroker because they save weight and seem to be just as strong. I would recommend TSP in texas. they did mine and i have no complaints. the LQ9 is a direct bolt up to the T56 and the k-member. all you need to do is drill and tap a hole for the alternator. If you are interested i will pm you my email and we can talk more. i also have a whole bunch of pictures from the swap. The only down fall i have found to the LQ9 is the extra 80lbs. For me it wasnt to big of a deal since i have tubular k-member and control arms. let me know if i can help you out at all.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by transam_00 View Post
    someone did not listen very well lol

Red
    2000 Trans AM

Well I dont plan on doing the install for another 3 months or so still saving up. I was gonna do all the work myself but found out its actually cheaper to have KYSPEED or Texas Speed assemble and check the engine. All i have is a basic shop with basic tools so no micrometers or spring compressors. I'd love to actually assemble it and make it my own build just isnt fesible. I leave for Korea in August so all the work im gonna do needs to be done by then. So I've heard both sides of the story on the lq9 vs ls2 debate. LS2 is lighter but but lq9 is capable of more hp...blah blah bla. the ls2 block is about a grand more the lq9 which was my main reason behind doing the lq9, does anyone else wanna tell me their reason?

Stock
    2002 Camaro

I chose the LQ9 because i wanted something bullet proof. Which unless im going to run a huge shot of gas or some crazy amount of FI, i will be fine. I dont personally know the strength of the aluminum blocks. If you order a short block from TSP, you can do the rest of the assembly yourself. That is what i did and had alot of fun doing it. As far as tools go i had a $100 set of craftsman tools from sears. so you'll be fine.

white
    2000 trans am

On sale I bought an Auto Zone socket set $75 dollars. I think they are snapp on brand with Duralast name stamp. I also bought A pair of jack stands, and a 13mm GearWrench swival head for the driver side bellhousing bolt closest to brake booster. Please take pics and post them on this site please

Red
    2000 Trans AM

Talking

have you dyno'd yours, i heard the setup i wanna go with was putting out close to 460. I may be naive in saying this but hp isnt the key factor to me, I wanna work up the torque.

The diy shop im doing it at has limited resoruces I may have to buy the toold myself. the reason i said i would have to redo the suspension is because i hope to build it up to a 9 second car, and the power needed means me redoing the rear end and suspension, the suspensions already getting weak with age,

I heard an interesting comment the other. "Why would you put 8 grand into a 6 grand car." i asked him "why did your parents spend 100 grand on you, when you were worth less than a grand....dreams man dreams"

hugger orange

im tring to finish up my 404ci lq9 stroker right now (taking a break and letting the garage heat up and compressor build pressure) can't wait to get it out for its first test run around the block

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Try this place. Ask for the owner Sean Britzius, he is very knowledgeable. He is close to you in Phoenix. He's done some work on my car, and he did a great job
    He'll answer any questions you've got
    http://www.topgearms.com/

Thread Information