Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Trooper182

Need some quick advice please!

This is a discussion on Need some quick advice please! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I just perchased a 04 gto and it is throwing code p0343. I have the car at a performance shop ...

Silver
    2004 GTO

I just perchased a 04 gto and it is throwing code p0343. I have the car at a performance shop because before I bought the car it had the motor replaced. The car has a few performance mods such as lt headers. The shop has trouble shooted and replaced the cam sensor twice, checked all the wiring and replaced the PCM but the code remains. The next step is to pull the timing cover and chexk the cam bolts. What are the odds that the cam bolts are backing out and this is why we are getting the code? Personally I think this is the reason and the shop is leaning that way too. If it is then I am going to pick up the car and over the weekend pull the cover and check. Will save a lot of money having me do it vs them. Just want some opinions before I dive into this. Any advice for doing this check/repair? Im ordering arp cam bolts and arp balancer bolt.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

It's quite possible there wasn't any locktite put on the cam bolts. After checking there are quite a few threads indicating that this is the cause of this code if you can't find anything wrong that is electrical like a wire short, bad ground, bad sensor.

Post up what you find.

Silver
    2004 GTO

Thanks for the reply. I just got the car home (trailered it back) and am going to start tearing it down tonight. Hopefully I will get to the cam bolts tonight and see whats going on under the cover. I'll post a picture of what all the shop did.

Navy Blue Metallic

Pretty much remove the water pump, balancer and the cover and you'll know.

Hope it's an easy fix.

Silver
    2004 GTO

Ok so I got the timing cover off and...the 3 cam bolts are tight as can be. Checked them with my torque wrench and they are to spec. Im at loss now as to what it could be.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I know you said the shop checked the wiring, but... have YOU looked at the connectors? I have taken my car to the shop before and found little details that they missed. Also, is it possible that the cam bolts are over torqued? If so, could that be slowing down the cam?
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Silver
    2004 GTO

I started going over the car this morning. I'm normally good with mechanics on cars but I suck at wiring. I went ahead and pulled the manifold last night and remove the camshaft position sensor. This is what the shop did. Writing this from the printout they gave me:

Pull codes: P0106, P0172, PO175, P0343
    Diagnostic time for p0343 cam position sensor circuit high for >1.5 seconds. Scanner and scope test: cam pattern on scope test good at PCM connector. No glitches, dropouts or bad signals occurred at any time the scope was hooked up.
    TCS suggests PCM replacement.
    Replaced PCM and retest: after PCM replacement p0343 returned. Replaced cam sensor and crank sensor with known good parts (used). Removed and reinstalled intake to inspect cam reluctor ring; appears ok, also soldered on new cam sensor pigtail. P0343 returns. TCS suggest removing cam for inspection to include ensuring torque of Cam bolts, cam timing is correct, and measuring cam sensor reluctor ring and placement ( engine was a salvage engine recently replaced).

Ok so i know there should be a ground on the drivers side head but im not seeing one anywhere. I went ahead and bought a brand new cam sensor and am going to install it. Also bought arp cam bolts and will put them in eventhough these ones are tight and will loctight them. What else should i be looking for?. I also noticed the egr sensor on the back of the intake is loose and the hose going to it has a crack.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I suck at wiring, too. For whatever reason, wiring diagrams confound me. If I know what a particular connector is for, then I'm good to go. LOL.

I can't imagine that this would be the problem... but... dumber things have happened:

Your car is an 04. Is the engine also from an 04? 05 and 06 GTOs had the LS2, whereas your car and PCM were originally assembled with an LS1. I'd imagine there are more differences than just the cam/cam sensor, but... is it possible that this is a compatibility issue that has been overlooked this whole time?

Silver
    2004 GTO

Im fairly sure this is from a 04. The reluctor wheel is on the back of the motor, not the front area. I looked inside the hole where the cam sensor goes and could see the reluctor wheel in the hole. I went ahead and put the new sensor in and n the process of bolting the water pump backup. I put the new arp cam bolts in with Loctite and torque them to spec. From what I can tell all the wiring is good. Once I get everything bolted back up I'm going to clear the codes and see what happens.

black
    2004 gto

I have an 04 GTO too, I will take a look and see where the ground on the driver side head originates from maybe that will be of some help . I know that without the proper grounds you could have some oddball problems. I'll get back to you soon. Good luck.

Silver
    2004 GTO

Awesome I would appreciate that very much

Silver
    2004 GTO

Ok so update: I got the engine all put back together and now I'm getting two separate codes. I'm now getting code p0342 and code p0343. I'm at a loss and could use any and all suggestions.

Navy Blue Metallic

P0343
    - Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor - Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted - Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection - Faulty starter motor - Starting system circuit - Dead (Weak) battery

Read more: P0343 Camshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit High Input OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor - Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted - Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection - Faulty starter motor - Starting system circuit - Dead (Weak) battery

Both codes have starter, battery and alternator issues in common. I'd suggest pulling them and have them tested.

Read more: P0343 Camshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit High Input OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

Silver
    2004 GTO

I went ahead and pulled the battery (optima red top) and had it tested. It showed 800 cca and tested good. So at this point i went ahead and took the car to a GM dealership so they can properly diagnose the issue instead of me just blindly trying to figure it out. Im hoping it turns out that it is a small issue and not a big mechanical thing. The place where I bought the car is paying for the repair so hopefully in a day or so I will know what the issue is. Ill report back when I know more.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Well, at least it aint coming out of your pocket.

Navy Blue Metallic

Good Luck.

please do post, curious to see what it turned out to be.

Silver
    2004 GTO

Ok so a update. The car has been at a local GM dealer for the last couple days. A couple of the techs there are big GTO guys and went over the car. They ran every test they could and found that whoever owned the car before me installed a aftermarket cam and some other goodies. They gave the engine a clean bill of health. They can't figure out why the car is still throwing the code P0343 but said that everything is working fine. There suggestion is take the car and have it tuned and have the codes turned off. But from what they have found, a lot of money was put into this motor. So going to take the car tomorrow and have it tuned.
    SMWS6TA likes this.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

So.... Bonus! If you get it dyno tuned, post the numbers!

Silver
    2004 GTO

Will do. I dropped it off this morning at the shop to have it tuned so hopefully it will make some decent power. I told them to it more on the economy side as this is a daily driver. Not looking to make killer numbers. Just somethibg that has decent hp.

Thread Information