In need of some advise.....

I have a 98 SS camaro with what I think is a rod knock. I haven't pull the motor yet so I'm not 100% sure it's a rod or the crankshaft. But anyway, I need some advise on rebuiding the motor. If I can salvage my short block, I'm gonna have it bored out but everytime I ask a mechanic about it they keep saying that aluminium blocks aren't worth boreing out. Is there truth to this? If no, what brand sleeves should I buy, if it's even necessary? I also figured that I might as well change the cam and have the heads ported and polished while I had the motor out.

Ok, my next problem is it's an automatic tranny and a stock 3.42 rear end. I've had my tranny rebuilt because of burned clutch plates and had the 2nd gear band changed twice since then. Has anyone had a problem with the band's pressure knub ripping off or known of this ever happening? Now when I had it rebuilt the 1st time I had the mech. take some of the plates out to make a harder shift, but after the second band went I had him put them back in. I never had a chance to test the tranny because the 1st time I got on it, I got the knock.
    I also thought of converting to the T-56 6 speed but afraid of it not working properly. Does anyone recommend this or know of someone who has and worked like it should? I've just heard some horror stories.

Everything else on the car is pretty much stock. I have the LS1 air box, comp. programmer, flowmaster ex. and that's about it. I plan on changing the headers, Y pipe, SFC, Torque arm, eventually change the rear to a chevy 12 or ford 9 with 3.73 gears.

Can anyone help me out please?

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Make sure your plug wires are all on first and if they are all on, check your coil packs. This will produce the distinct sound that you speak of too.

A blown coil pack is common also.

A blown coil pack would make a very loud knocking noise?

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Mine did. Sounded like shit and ran just as bad. I took it in because of this and thought it was a bent rod or shaft. After we put it up on the lift, we found the #3 plug barely on. After we put it back on, it cleared up a little bit, but then we found the #3 coil pack bad as a result of the plug wire also.

Depends on how bad the noise is Frankee. I would look at that first before you say it's a messed up engine all together.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what's your oil pressure look like?

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Well, the oil pressure will naturally be low if it's not hitting on all cylinders. Have you checked out the plugs and coil packs? Is all that okay?

Thread Information