Red
    1998 Trans Am

Need some advice

Hey everyone, this is my first post on here. I have a 98 Trans Am that I've had for a few years, and it was my step-dad's before I bought it back in 08, and it's completely stock (in terms of the motor). I've finally got to a point where I want to start doing some mods. But here's the thing... It has about 180,000 miles on it. Never missed an oil change or anything though. I wanted to do lid, intake, headers, exhaust this winter, but I'm also wondering if I've already got too many miles on it to even worry about modding without messing anything up. So do you guys think I should rebuild the motor (seals, rings, bearings, etc.) before I do anything else?

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

If the car has been properly maintained i would go ahead and start modding, The mod's you listed are just bolt on's and are probly the safest you can do. When you start going internal then i would suggest a rebuild, but until then, mod away and enjoy.. You could always do a compression test to see what the condition of the rings and seals are.
    Chris
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

As long as the engine is not burning oil, you have good oil pressure, and the compression is consistent across all cylinders, there is no reason not to have some fun with mods. Lots of guys on here have high miles on their cars and routinely add mods and run them at the track. If you do tear into the engine, note that you can't punch out an LS1 like a SBC. They have a max cylinder cleanup of .010".

Red
    1998 Trans Am

Thanks for the replies guys. And yeah as far as I know the compression is good and it's not burning oil. It has a very small leak around the seal for the oil pan but I plan on fixing that soon anyways. However, I do intend on doing heads/cam in the future so I guess i'll do the rebuild then? Hopefully it won't need to be bored more than 0.10 over....

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

op, there's lots of things you can do to help your 98.

we have a large number of members here that have 'em so if you have any questions just ask.

Welcome to the site.

Red
    1998 Trans Am

Lid is officially on its way

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

My 98 has 183,xxx on it and is still stock but I feel it could turn a high 13 quarter mile if I was ever to try.

That's the advantage of having 2 of them: 1 to drive and the other to mod.
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Thread Information