Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Need pic of coolant pump weep hole (Coolant Leak)

I have a VERY slow coolant leak on my 99 Z28 M6 with 50K on it. By slow I mean it produces 2-3 drips a week. The coolant drips from the front most oil pan bolt on the driverside. I am not sure if it is coming from the weep hole on the coolant pump because I can't find the weep hole. Or if it is coming from a gasket?????? Does anyone have a pic of the pump so I can see what I am looking for?

Thank you

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Weep hole is on the Water pump shaft, you wont be able to see it behind the pully, look at the underside of the pump and see if you can find a trail..
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Same issue I had... just changed mine not too long ago. Seems like a ls1 water pump failure epidemic. I saw like 30 in the floor of the dealer. Jaisons just went toast. Get the advanced auto brand IMO.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

The more I look at the leak it almost lookes like it is coming from the driverside gasket were it goes into the jacket. Does that sound right? I will try to get pics a little later. Thanks for the replys.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Well here are the pics of the bolt I find the drip on. I think it is an oil pan bolt. I almost think the coolant is coming from it but I don't think there are any coolant passages that low in the block.

farthest right bolt in the pic
    Last edited by Sweet Chops; 04-20-2009 at 03:25 PM.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Mine looked that way. It was the pump

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Same issue I had... just changed mine not too long ago. Seems like a ls1 water pump failure epidemic. I saw like 30 in the floor of the dealer. Jaisons just went toast. Get the advanced auto brand IMO.
    Do yourself a favor and get a GM (AC Delco) water pump. The majority of the aftermarket ones are garbage. ASC is no different, I've seen some real garbage come from them. If a company can't even produce a quality casting and ship it to you clean, I doubt the internals are any better. I purchased a GM water pump from eBay for cheaper than I could even get an ASC one for, and the quality was excellent.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Do yourself a favor and get a GM (AC Delco) water pump. The majority of the aftermarket ones are garbage. ASC is no different, I've seen some real garbage come from them. If a company can't even produce a quality casting and ship it to you clean, I doubt the internals are any better. I purchased a GM water pump from eBay for cheaper than I could even get an ASC one for, and the quality was excellent.
    My asc looked smoother/ higher quality than the stocker... GM probably doesnt have a lifetime warranty

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Now knowing that it is the pump. How long do I have before it completely goes out on me? What would happen if it does go out completely?
    I took the belt off and I can turn the pully but the shaft doesn't have any slop. Does that mean anything?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Chops View Post
    Now knowing that it is the pump. How long do I have before it completely goes out on me? What would happen if it does go out completely?
    I took the belt off and I can turn the pully but the shaft doesn't have any slop. Does that mean anything?
    It doesnt take that long to pull it off and gaskets are cheap. If you pull it off and find it cruddy with coolant on the bottom side I would replace it, if its just a gasket well its a 9 dollar fix for new MLS ones

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

It doesnt take that long to pull it off and gaskets are cheap. If you pull it off and find it cruddy with coolant on the bottom side I would replace it, if its just a gasket well its a 9 dollar fix for new MLS ones
    You can't use the new aluminum gaskets on an older style pump. GM changed the length of the pump when they went to the aluminum gaskets to prevent misalignment issues with the belt. If your car has paper style gaskets (my '98 did) then you must replace them with paper gaskets unless you buy the newer style pump (which is what all the new AC/GM pumps are).

If you have it off and you have over 75K, just change it to be on the safe side. No sense doing the job twice.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

You can't use the new aluminum gaskets on an older style pump. GM changed the length of the pump when they went to the aluminum gaskets to prevent misalignment issues with the belt. If your car has paper style gaskets (my '98 did) then you must replace them with paper gaskets unless you buy the newer style pump (which is what all the new AC/GM pumps are).

If you have it off and you have over 75K, just change it to be on the safe side. No sense doing the job twice.
    You my friend are incorrect. I just changed mine and have put around 1500 miles on it since...

The gaskets are the same shape. Look for my posts with pics in a previous thread.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

You my friend are incorrect. I just changed mine and have put around 1500 miles on it since...

The gaskets are the same shape. Look for my posts with pics in a previous thread.
    You misunderstood my post then.

Of course the gaskets are the same shape. I just changed mine as well. They are a different THICKNESS. Thats the critical part that affects belt alignment. This is why GM shortened the neck of the revised WP, so that there wouldn't be serpentine belt alignment problems.

If you use the short neck style with the paper gaskets, the pump will be too short. If you use the older long neck style with the aluminum gaskets, the pump will stick out too far.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

You misunderstood my post then.

Of course the gaskets are the same shape. I just changed mine as well. They are a different THICKNESS. Thats the critical part that affects belt alignment. This is why GM shortened the neck of the revised WP, so that there wouldn't be serpentine belt alignment problems.

If you use the short neck style with the paper gaskets, the pump will be too short. If you use the older long neck style with the aluminum gaskets, the pump will stick out too far.
    Ah, I see. My bad. I know they are two completely different water pumps when held up side by side(mainly pulley) I got the replacement for a 99 and had no issues. The belt does ride a bit forward more than the old one but no issues so far because it makes full contact with the pump.

Thread Information