Results 1 to 14 of 14

Need pic of coolant pump weep hole (Coolant Leak)

This is a discussion on Need pic of coolant pump weep hole (Coolant Leak) within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have a VERY slow coolant leak on my 99 Z28 M6 with 50K on it. By slow I mean ...

  1. #1
    Member Sweet Chops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Manitowoc, WI
    Age
    35
    Posts
    763

    Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

    Need pic of coolant pump weep hole (Coolant Leak)

    I have a VERY slow coolant leak on my 99 Z28 M6 with 50K on it. By slow I mean it produces 2-3 drips a week. The coolant drips from the front most oil pan bolt on the driverside. I am not sure if it is coming from the weep hole on the coolant pump because I can't find the weep hole. Or if it is coming from a gasket?????? Does anyone have a pic of the pump so I can see what I am looking for?

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bragg NC
    Posts
    2,835

    Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

    Weep hole is on the Water pump shaft, you wont be able to see it behind the pully, look at the underside of the pump and see if you can find a trail..
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

  3. #3
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Same issue I had... just changed mine not too long ago. Seems like a ls1 water pump failure epidemic. I saw like 30 in the floor of the dealer. Jaisons just went toast. Get the advanced auto brand IMO.

  4. #4
    Member Sweet Chops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Manitowoc, WI
    Age
    35
    Posts
    763

    Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

    The more I look at the leak it almost lookes like it is coming from the driverside gasket were it goes into the jacket. Does that sound right? I will try to get pics a little later. Thanks for the replys.

  5. #5
    Member Sweet Chops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Manitowoc, WI
    Age
    35
    Posts
    763

    Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

    Well here are the pics of the bolt I find the drip on. I think it is an oil pan bolt. I almost think the coolant is coming from it but I don't think there are any coolant passages that low in the block.


    farthest right bolt in the pic
    Last edited by Sweet Chops; 04-20-2009 at 04:25 PM.

  6. #6
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Mine looked that way. It was the pump

  7. #7
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Same issue I had... just changed mine not too long ago. Seems like a ls1 water pump failure epidemic. I saw like 30 in the floor of the dealer. Jaisons just went toast. Get the advanced auto brand IMO.
    Do yourself a favor and get a GM (AC Delco) water pump. The majority of the aftermarket ones are garbage. ASC is no different, I've seen some real garbage come from them. If a company can't even produce a quality casting and ship it to you clean, I doubt the internals are any better. I purchased a GM water pump from eBay for cheaper than I could even get an ASC one for, and the quality was excellent.

  8. #8
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Do yourself a favor and get a GM (AC Delco) water pump. The majority of the aftermarket ones are garbage. ASC is no different, I've seen some real garbage come from them. If a company can't even produce a quality casting and ship it to you clean, I doubt the internals are any better. I purchased a GM water pump from eBay for cheaper than I could even get an ASC one for, and the quality was excellent.
    My asc looked smoother/ higher quality than the stocker... GM probably doesnt have a lifetime warranty

  9. #9
    Member Sweet Chops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Manitowoc, WI
    Age
    35
    Posts
    763

    Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

    Now knowing that it is the pump. How long do I have before it completely goes out on me? What would happen if it does go out completely?
    I took the belt off and I can turn the pully but the shaft doesn't have any slop. Does that mean anything?

  10. #10
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Chops View Post
    Now knowing that it is the pump. How long do I have before it completely goes out on me? What would happen if it does go out completely?
    I took the belt off and I can turn the pully but the shaft doesn't have any slop. Does that mean anything?
    It doesnt take that long to pull it off and gaskets are cheap. If you pull it off and find it cruddy with coolant on the bottom side I would replace it, if its just a gasket well its a 9 dollar fix for new MLS ones

  11. #11
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    It doesnt take that long to pull it off and gaskets are cheap. If you pull it off and find it cruddy with coolant on the bottom side I would replace it, if its just a gasket well its a 9 dollar fix for new MLS ones
    You can't use the new aluminum gaskets on an older style pump. GM changed the length of the pump when they went to the aluminum gaskets to prevent misalignment issues with the belt. If your car has paper style gaskets (my '98 did) then you must replace them with paper gaskets unless you buy the newer style pump (which is what all the new AC/GM pumps are).

    If you have it off and you have over 75K, just change it to be on the safe side. No sense doing the job twice.

  12. #12
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    You can't use the new aluminum gaskets on an older style pump. GM changed the length of the pump when they went to the aluminum gaskets to prevent misalignment issues with the belt. If your car has paper style gaskets (my '98 did) then you must replace them with paper gaskets unless you buy the newer style pump (which is what all the new AC/GM pumps are).

    If you have it off and you have over 75K, just change it to be on the safe side. No sense doing the job twice.
    You my friend are incorrect. I just changed mine and have put around 1500 miles on it since...

    The gaskets are the same shape. Look for my posts with pics in a previous thread.

  13. #13
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    You my friend are incorrect. I just changed mine and have put around 1500 miles on it since...

    The gaskets are the same shape. Look for my posts with pics in a previous thread.
    You misunderstood my post then.

    Of course the gaskets are the same shape. I just changed mine as well. They are a different THICKNESS. Thats the critical part that affects belt alignment. This is why GM shortened the neck of the revised WP, so that there wouldn't be serpentine belt alignment problems.

    If you use the short neck style with the paper gaskets, the pump will be too short. If you use the older long neck style with the aluminum gaskets, the pump will stick out too far.

  14. #14
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    You misunderstood my post then.

    Of course the gaskets are the same shape. I just changed mine as well. They are a different THICKNESS. Thats the critical part that affects belt alignment. This is why GM shortened the neck of the revised WP, so that there wouldn't be serpentine belt alignment problems.

    If you use the short neck style with the paper gaskets, the pump will be too short. If you use the older long neck style with the aluminum gaskets, the pump will stick out too far.
    Ah, I see. My bad. I know they are two completely different water pumps when held up side by side(mainly pulley) I got the replacement for a 99 and had no issues. The belt does ride a bit forward more than the old one but no issues so far because it makes full contact with the pump.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help: Coolant leak!
    By Joey0523 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-26-2014, 05:47 PM
  2. Coolant leak
    By phoenixXIV in forum V6
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-16-2011, 08:54 AM
  3. Help: Coolant Leak
    By maher19403 in forum GTO
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-22-2010, 02:09 PM
  4. Help!! Coolant leak but where?
    By jinxeng in forum General Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-08-2006, 12:30 AM
  5. BAD coolant leak
    By hissin'98 in forum General Help
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-11-2005, 01:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •