Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Need parking brake hardware for WS6

I need to get parking brake hardware for my WS6. Being told the GM set is discontinued, and no listings from the aftermarket shops around here. My parking brake hardware is rusting out and not holding the e brake like it should. Does anyone know where I can sourse a set or two?

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Rock Auto still has listings for hardware kits. They also sell a Wagner park brake replacement shoe kit that comes with some of the hardware that seems like the best deal. The one part that I know is hard to find are the little rubber boots that cover where the cable goes into the backing plate. I had a bunch that I sold a while back but found it not worth buying more (had to buy a bulk order) because even selling them at cost was a very slow painful process. Someone had pairs of the boots on ebay recently for around $17.00.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    Rock Auto still has listings for hardware kits. They also sell a Wagner park brake replacement shoe kit that comes with some of the hardware that seems like the best deal. The one part that I know is hard to find are the little rubber boots that cover where the cable goes into the backing plate. I had a bunch that I sold a while back but found it not worth buying more (had to buy a bulk order) because even selling them at cost was a very slow painful process. Someone had pairs of the boots on ebay recently for around $17.00.
    I ended up ordering a kit from Rock Auto. The thing that puzzled me with Rock Autos listing was that they said it was not for a vehicle with a Limited-Slip Differential, I think they meant Traction Control though, as the externals of the 7 5/8th's are identical and the backing plate isn't a part of it.

Haven't found a boot yet want sure what they are called.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Any reason that the existing hardware cannot be cleaned up and refurbished? It is a pretty simple system.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Any reason that the existing hardware cannot be cleaned up and refurbished? It is a pretty simple system.
    The springs and clipp are all rusted out and arent keeping up enough resistance. After 150k miles, Id believe that.
    Last edited by Whamhammer; 07-10-2016 at 07:46 AM.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    I ended up ordering a kit from Rock Auto. The thing that puzzled me with Rock Autos listing was that they said it was not for a vehicle with a Limited-Slip Differential, I think they meant Traction Control though, as the externals of the 7 5/8th's are identical and the backing plate isn't a part of it.

Haven't found a boot yet want sure what they are called.
    I was also wondering what they were talking about with "not for limited slip". Didn't make sense. As to the boots, here is a link to the one seller on eBay currently 1998 2002 Camaro Firebird Parking Brake Boot Kit 2 Boots PBR 4 Screws | eBay
    ATI Procharger, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, BBK Shorty Headers, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I was also wondering what they were talking about with "not for limited slip". Didn't make sense. As to the boots, here is a link to the one seller on eBay currently 1998 2002 Camaro Firebird Parking Brake Boot Kit 2 Boots PBR 4 Screws | eBay
    Thanks, I will have to see about getting them!

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Well, the shop had the car in today, the kit from Rock Auto was for a drum brake assembly. I think their listing is flawed, and was for early 4th gens base Firebirds that did have drums on the base models, and V8 and W68 package models got both LSD and 4 wheel disks.

Hopefully the shop didnt tear up the kit too bad, so I can return it.

I ended up buying ACDelco parking brake backing plate assemblies, that have the whole parking brake setup on them, shoes, hardware, boots etc., it was $86.00 each. Down side is that it was only available for the left side, so I bought two, one to put on whole, the other to cannibalize the parts from and put on the right hand side. Boots and all. I figured the extra expense would counter any extra downtime, show the parking shoe kit not have all of what I needed.

You ever get the feeling that GM is trying to force you into a new Camaro?

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Well, the shop had the car in today, the kit from Rock Auto was for a drum brake assembly. I think their listing is flawed, and was for early 4th gens base Firebirds that did have drums on the base models, and V8 and W68 package models got both LSD and 4 wheel disks.

Hopefully the shop didnt tear up the kit too bad, so I can return it.

I ended up buying ACDelco parking brake backing plate assemblies, that have the whole parking brake setup on them, shoes, hardware, boots etc., it was $86.00 each. Down side is that it was only available for the left side, so I bought two, one to put on whole, the other to cannibalize the parts from and put on the right hand side. Boots and all. I figured the extra expense would counter any extra downtime, show the parking shoe kit not have all of what I needed.

You ever get the feeling that GM is trying to force you into a new Camaro?
    The parking brake backing plate assemblies came in last week, and had everything needed, had the parts replaced this weekend, so the cannibilzation worked.

They were not able to switch over the boots because they didnt have access to the side where the boot mounting bracket and screws were , they wouldve had to remove the backing plates, which would required removing the axle shafts , and using new seals (if it aint leaking on a 7 5/8ths, let it be I say.
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    L76 6.0L block, PRC Ported 243 heads, Texas Speed 224R cam.
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    415 rwhp

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

What part number did you end up buying for the backing plate assemblies? I'm finding about 4 different ones, left side, right side, with and without traction control. Figure after your experience it is time to track down some NOS parts and put them away if I can find them.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

What part number did you end up buying for the backing plate assemblies? I'm finding about 4 different ones, left side, right side, with and without traction control. Figure after your experience it is time to track down some NOS parts and put them away if I can find them.
    I went with 10444626, its the left parking brake backing plate for T/A and Formula w/o Traction Control.

Thread Information