Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Need new MAF sensor??

I have a 2000 Trans Am WS.6 and at around 2500RPMs usually under around half throttle but would do it at different amounts of throttle at different times. the car seems to cut off for a second then runs fine. There are no other running problems. Is there a way i can check this? Or if this sounds like the sensor is bad, how much should i look for a new one and where? Thanks for any help

What makes you suspect the MAF? Is the car throwing any codes?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

most of the time if it is maf sensor related..you would throw the ses error of low or no voltage input for the maf. I would try to use some maf cleaner on it first.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Doubt it is the MAF.

I would bet on ignition. Fuel filter clogged a little, spark plug gap off.
    Mods? Ever been tuned?
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Doubt it is the MAF.

I would bet on ignition. Fuel filter clogged a little, spark plug gap off.
    Mods? Ever been tuned?
    way to go ruin my thunder assclown

If it is the MAF you could try tapping on it while the car is idling,,,,it may cause the car to stumble at idle, I've done this before.

Also here's another idea, not sure if this would work,,,,correct me if I'm wrong,,,,but if you suspect the MAF, can't you simply unplug it and force the car into speed density,,,,then drive the car and see if problem goes away????

If it's ignition related I would assume problem would still exist. No????

Just tossing a couple of ideas....

98' trans am

yes if you unplug the maf..it goes into SD...but the car is sooo much rougher and a different car entirely ..but you are correct.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Well read in another post that a guy changed his MAF sensor when his car would cut out at 2500 RPM. Today i unplugged it and i can tell there is a difference. There does not seem to be loss of power at 2500 RPM. So im pretty sure its the sensor. So is it not safe to run without it plugged in? Cause at the dealership the sensor is $287.00 WTF??

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Oh no mods or tune either. A member in posted in the Parts for sale section about a used MAF sensor so i looked it up and came to this conclusion

98' trans am

yea its alright to run in SD...performance just isnt there

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    yes if you unplug the maf..it goes into SD...but the car is sooo much rougher and a different car entirely ..but you are correct.
    I would think if it makes the car run horrible by unplugging the MAF then that tells me the VE table needs more work

Unless other variables come into play here, that would be a question for Frost or someone else more versed in tuning with a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by One_Bad_TA View Post
    Well read in another post that a guy changed his MAF sensor when his car would cut out at 2500 RPM. Today i unplugged it and i can tell there is a difference. There does not seem to be loss of power at 2500 RPM. So im pretty sure its the sensor. So is it not safe to run without it plugged in? Cause at the dealership the sensor is $287.00 WTF??
    I didn't think $287 sounded too bad. Aahhh the joys of owning a computer controlled car. Great when they run right but hard on the pocket book when repairs are needed.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I would think if it makes the car run horrible by unplugging the MAF then that tells me the VE table needs more work

Unless other variables come into play here, that would be a question for Frost or someone else more versed in tuning with a computer.
    i'm not good with tunning..but i thought SD tunes deal with other tabled..not the normal tables..but you are leaps and bounds ahead of me on tunning

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i'm not good with tunning..but i thought SD tunes deal with other tabled..not the normal tables..but you are leaps and bounds ahead of me on tunning
    I'm not sure I'm leaps and bounds ahead,,,lol... I generally tune old stuff but I do tune my own 4th gen with HPtuner. I'm still a novice with a laptop but I have a very general idea how it works. Probably just enough to get me into trouble,,,

Thats why I threw out that idea about unplugging the MAF. Just my train of thought I guess

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

I unplugged it and it runs fine and doesnt bog at 2500 RPMs. Is it safe to run with it unplugged?

Hmmm,,,,I don't know for sure. That would be a question for Frost. You have basically forced the computer to run speed density,,,,which I believe uses the VE table for fuel calculations,,,,,the fuel is no longer tailored via MAF and changing conditions. Your mileage may suffer and who knows what other little things are affected.

I beleive the computers ability to do this is just to get you to your destination in the event of a failure...again I'm thinking out loud here Cars that run speed density all the time are custom tuned to do so...

It may or may not be safe but if it were me I would look into replacing the MAF as soon as possible.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

OK im goin to plug it back in right now lol

98' trans am

we SD uses rpm, speed and temputure to fuel the car..it has no idea about how much incoming air there is..so you can see the problems right there..might run to rich or to lean...not worth it unless you get SD tuned

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Well just to let everyone know i found the problem. it was not the MAF sensor. There is a vacuum line which was connected to the PCV valve. Well this vacuum line was capped off with electrical tape. Previous owner FTW!! lol but i got a foot of 3/8 ID hose from autozone for $1.56 and now there is hesitation or anything. Yes!!

Red
    1999 z28

I am having the same problem with my 99Z. When I get on the gas no matter the gear at around 2500-3500 RPM it hesitates for a second then its back to normal, it is so slight that the passenger does not even notice. It is only noticeable when you are driving it. The whole car does not buck or anything like that, very slight
    I dont have the tape over the PCV hose problem either. I changed the fuel filter on it twice, thinking I got a bad one the first time or something...Could it be the oxygen sensors?? I had the codes read at my buddies shop and it came up with O2 sensors in previous codes, no codes currently...I do not really want to change them, because I am going to be doing a header install in the future sometime soon I hope. Is there some way that I can bypass this and rule it out? I don't really think it is a fuel problem, because it is not constant, just at that certain RPM rangeIt is not my daily driver, so I am in no rush, just saving the extra money up!! Mods are in signature, nothing big. Any other advice/suggestions would be helpful!!
    Red 1999 Camaro z28 M6
    SLP LM1, SLP lid, K&N filter, Z06 Clutch, Pro 5.0 Shifter

Grotto Blue 1968 Chevelle SS396
    375HP, .30 over, M21, comp cams .575/.604 solid, performer rpm intake, holly 770 street avenger, MSD pro billet distributer, blaster 2 coil, 6A Ignition, 3.73 gears, no hop bars

Thread Information