Need A New Engine

This is a discussion on Need A New Engine within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; so my engine in my 98 camaro is blown, the piston is broken and the mechanic wants to charge me ...

purple
    98 z28

Need A New Engine

so my engine in my 98 camaro is blown, the piston is broken and the mechanic wants to charge me about $2000. to repair/rebuild it, i wasn't exactly sure since i was too shocked. anyway, i want to change out the block and im not too familiar with this area.im not positive but i believe that a block would be just the bottom end and a crate engine would be complete. so i wanted to know. would it be cheaper to buy a new block, and have the mechanic install everything else, or should i just go with a crate engine. and whichever one i do, approximately how much would it end up costing me. if there is anyone who has done this please reply and let me know how everything went and if its worth my while. thanks for all the help

first of all ..........the block is just that ........a block. It has no moving parts. What you are referring to is commonly called the bottom end or a short block. Also, some crate engines are turn key and some need intake, etc. This all depends on what you want.......there are crate engines from 1500-20000 dollars.... A rebuild of your current engine is probably more worth your money if you want to leave it close to stock. I would have the mechanic upgrade your cam while the motor is tore apart, but just beware that a rebuild of a motor if you upgrade everything can easily triple the figures you have stated.

purple
    98 z28

has anyone changed out their blocks, if so how did it turn out, anyone else have any recommendations. i figure if im spending $2000 to fix it, why not put some more money into it and have it more powerful

Quote Originally Posted by purplcam
    has anyone changed out their blocks, if so how did it turn out, anyone else have any recommendations. i figure if im spending $2000 to fix it, why not put some more money into it and have it more powerful
    what do you mean change out the block? Swap it out completely for a crate engine? or do you mean components of the bottom end? or did you mean the aluminum block for the iron block? Be specific

purple
    98 z28

maybe im misunderstanding what im reading when i go on these web sites and how they describe what is included with the block. im going to change my question to make it easy for everyone to answer. i have $3000, a piston in my engine is broken, what are my options to get the most amount of power for that amount. should i repair the stock engine and have the possibility of something else breaking or should i get a new engine and if i do get a new engine what would fit my budget.

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

Stock Crate Short Block vs Stock Rebuild? IMO, I would go with crate.

Here are some options:

http://www.speedomotive.com/gm_ls_1_crate_engines.htm

http://www.lingenfelter.com/pack_ce_350.htm

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/4274...k-Assembly.htm

http://www.schwankeshortblocks.com/S...rt%20Block.htm

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/perfpart...on=ce&cat=9274

There are many options out there. Remember that most "Short Block" assy's require a core charge and most do not include the Camshaft, timing set, and oil pump. These are usually available at additional cost or need to be purchased separately. Add in the cost of shipping (Truck Freight) to receive the engine, plus shipping to return the "rebuildable" core, it adds up quick.

Something else to consider is that with the short block all you are getting is the bottom end. You still have to factor in the cost of reconditioning the heads, buying gaskets, new oil pump, and any other parts that have worn out. Which can make the "long Block" or "Complete Engines" more attractive. Plus, these usually have longer and more comprehensive warranties, than short blocks or even rebuilds.

With the rebuild, you are at the mercy of the shop you choose, the machine shop they use, and the quality of the replacement parts they use. Ask around, get opinions and references. Find a friend/mechanic you trust and ask their opinion, recommendation. Like finding a doctor!, get a second opinion!

As with anything, do your research. Especially with warranty issues! It's all about making $$, taking whatever shortcuts needed to save $ & make a profit. What ever the shop or supplier says it will do, make sure you get it in writing! Verbal agreements are worthless in a lawsuit!

Now with what you said, is the $2K for a complete rebuild, or just a repair?
    Two completely different approaches here. $2K for just a repair (replace broken parts and slap back together) is a major rip-off. If it's for the complete rebuild, find out exactly what will be done and what parts are included. I.E cam, oil pump, timing set. . .etc. and of course the warranty. As an example. . A 30 or 90 day warranty is worthless and you are flushing $2K down the toilet.

I'm sorry if I paint a dank picture of distrust of Human nature, but you have to cover yourself. When large sums of money are involved, I trust most people about as far as I can throw them. That's why I do all my own work. . . .when feasible!

I have overhauled many engines and (knock on wood) never had any issues. But I do not do it that often anymore as I don't have the financial resources to offer any kind of warranty, and never have.

Just My $.02 worth. Good Luck, and shop smart!

RED
    1998 Pontiac Trans AM

Just had my bottom end completely overhauled and I paid a little ofer 3k, more like 3200. I went with slightly oversized pistons and forged connecting rods with new main bearings, rod bearings, and basically, my old short block with all forged internals. Not bad considering the price I paid. If you're looking into just dropping in a crate, you'll be spending at least 3k with the shipping plus the labor to install the motor and tuning of the new shortblock so expect to spend up in the range of 5k. Most machine shops will not bore an LSx motor for under 1500 so if I were you, buy your internals, get all the matching parts. If you shop around, you can find a good set for about a grand. Get all the bearings you need, have the motor pulled and take it to the machine shop and have them do the assembly and spend about 2k in labor and machining. So you'll save about a grand or two depending on the machine shop. That's from my personaly experience, I'm on motor 3 and I've gone both ways. I paid a total of 10k for a direct crate drop in. and spend only about 3500 on this rebuild. You pick the way you want to go

Thread Information