Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45

Need New Battery!! Any recommendations?

This is a discussion on Need New Battery!! Any recommendations? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hey Guys, I need a new battery for my stock 2000 WS6. I want a really high-quality one. Any recommendations? ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    24

    Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

    Need New Battery!! Any recommendations?

    Hey Guys,

    I need a new battery for my stock 2000 WS6. I want a really high-quality one. Any recommendations? Thanks!! I don't know anything about batteries but I want one that is maintenance-free.

  2. #2
    STAY PUFT thecorrectformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Delaware, OH
    Age
    30
    Posts
    678

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Formula

    Optima Yellow top hands down. Red top even.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    24

    Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

    Thanks. What's the difference between yellow and red top?

  4. #4
    Member Benner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Delaware, OH
    Age
    30
    Posts
    946

    Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

    The Cold Cranking Amps and Price.

  5. #5
    Senior Member TransAm11973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    in my Trans Am
    Posts
    2,630

    Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    just dont pay someone to do it please. I want to stab myself in the foot everytime I hear someone on here ask how much its going to cost the dealer to replace a battery. Actually I just threw up from even thinking about it....

  6. #6
    Member Benner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Delaware, OH
    Age
    30
    Posts
    946

    Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

    Why?? It's awesome when we have people come at the dealer I work at that want a new battery installed because we can buy the old ones whether there good or bad for the core price of $6. I bought a perfectly good 770 CCA battery the other day because some guy insisted his battery was messed up. Did what he said to do and tested the battery and it was perfect. had 735 CCA at 12.1 volts

  7. #7
    Member jperkins812's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Age
    40
    Posts
    333
    The red top battery is made more for everyday use and the yellow top is made more for speciality use. The yellow top is mainly used for vehicles with added electrical loads on them, but works just fine for everyday use.

  8. #8
    Senior Member TransAm11973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    in my Trans Am
    Posts
    2,630

    Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Benner View Post
    Why?? It's awesome when we have people come at the dealer I work at that want a new battery installed because we can buy the old ones whether there good or bad for the core price of $6. I bought a perfectly good 770 CCA battery the other day because some guy insisted his battery was messed up. Did what he said to do and tested the battery and it was perfect. had 735 CCA at 12.1 volts
    Because if you cannot change your battery yourself, you have no business driving a car with 350+ hp.

  9. #9
    Single Malt rbob93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Age
    69
    Posts
    2,707

    Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

    Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    Because if you cannot change your battery yourself, you have no business driving a car with 350+ hp.

    That's some ignorant shit there boy!!!

    Recommendations??? Hell yeah!!
    Get a $50 battery from Walmart, FULLY CHARGE IT BEFORE USE,.....& use it for the next 5 years.
    If you have more money than you need, get a Optima. That is, unless you have a high output of juice like a big ass sound system, until then you won't NEED an Optima.
    Last edited by rbob93; 02-05-2008 at 07:44 PM.

  10. #10
    Member 2000SSM6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    189

    nbm
    00 SS

    Thumbs up

    I have the red top because my car sits quite a bit. With the red top and a battery tender she fires up great after a few months.The AC delco could not take these long waits, it went

  11. #11
    Junior Member Kalepsis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    65

    Silver
    98 A4 TA

    I've had an Optima red top in for about 2 and a half years. There's no better battery in America.

  12. #12
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Optima Red Top.

    I have an Autocraft Titanium from Advance Auto. Its okay, but I should have got a Red Top instead, especially since I have system with 2 amps and a sub.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    24

    Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

    Yeah, my car tends to sit for many days at a time sometimes, so I need something that is good for that. Sounds like Optima is the way to go.

  14. #14
    M6 King Hot Black Trans-Am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    5,085
    Blog Entries
    1

    09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

    My red top Optima cranks up the car in -30 below temps no problem and it's at least 5 years old.

  15. #15
    Member Mike's TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Age
    35
    Posts
    880

    Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    just dont pay someone to do it please. I want to stab myself in the foot everytime I hear someone on here ask how much its going to cost the dealer to replace a battery. Actually I just threw up from even thinking about it....
    A friend of mine's parents were on a trip and the battery died in their 06 Tahoe. They went to the dealership to get it replaced and ended up leaving in an 08 Suburban. Must have been one hell of a salesman.

  16. #16
    Senior Member TransAm11973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    in my Trans Am
    Posts
    2,630

    Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    A friend of mine's parents were on a trip and the battery died in their 06 Tahoe. They went to the dealership to get it replaced and ended up leaving in an 08 Suburban. Must have been one hell of a salesman.
    wow thats crazy, yea he must have been

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    24

    Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

    You guys ever used Interstate Megatron??? That's the one I have right now. It's my second battery. It's probably around 3 years old and if I don't drive the car at least every 3 days, it won't start. It's got a 75 month pro-rata warranty. I was thinking of taking advantage of that warranty but I'm nervous to use another Interstate.

    My first battery (the one that came with the car when I bought it new from the dealer) could go weeks without use and still start up fine. Anyway, I guess I'm rambling but that's what I have been dealing with.

  18. #18
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by raya View Post
    You guys ever used Interstate Megatron??? That's the one I have right now. It's my second battery. It's probably around 3 years old and if I don't drive the car at least every 3 days, it won't start. It's got a 75 month pro-rata warranty. I was thinking of taking advantage of that warranty but I'm nervous to use another Interstate.

    My first battery (the one that came with the car when I bought it new from the dealer) could go weeks without use and still start up fine. Anyway, I guess I'm rambling but that's what I have been dealing with.
    Interstate makes some of the best batteries out there, probably second only to Optima. However, its still a low maintance wet-cell battery, so no matter how good it is it will never be abe to match the advantages of an Optima, which is a dry cell battery. Dry cell batteries are corrosion free, can last up to 4 times longer than wet cell batteries, and they can be deep cycled (fully discharged and recharged) multiple times without damage.

  19. #19
    Member 98ls1blackbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jenison, Mi
    Posts
    159

    Black
    1998 Trans am

    I used to have an Optima red top but changed to a yellow top for more reserve capacity. I use my laptop to log at the strip and use an inverter to recharge the laptop battery. Do you know how humiliating it is to have to get a jump start in the staging lanes after a long wait for an oil down? From a blue oval yet, thanks guy, you were a lifesaver.
    The red top is now in my son's 04 GTO daily driver. Perfect battery for that application.
    98 Trans Am, A4, 3.73, 3200 Vigilante, LCA's, reloc brackets, sfc's, panhard bar, adjustable torque arm, XS long tube headers, ORY, SLP CNC ported heads and all the free mods tuned with EFILive.
    Best 1/4 et 12.53
    Best 1/4 mph 107.78
    Best 60' 1.71

  20. #20
    Member 98ls1blackbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jenison, Mi
    Posts
    159

    Black
    1998 Trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Interstate makes some of the best batteries out there, probably second only to Optima. However, its still a low maintance wet-cell battery, so no matter how good it is it will never be abe to match the advantages of an Optima, which is a dry cell battery. Dry cell batteries are corrosion free, can last up to 4 times longer than wet cell batteries, and they can be deep cycled (fully discharged and recharged) multiple times without damage.
    Actually Optima batteries are not dry cell they are AGM, absorbed glass mat. The electrolyte is just in a different medium than lead plates.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Vac bleeders, recommendations?
    By TokerM in forum Tools
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 05:36 PM
  2. LS3 Cam Recommendations
    By AQICLS3 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-13-2010, 04:18 PM
  3. Question: Tire Recommendations
    By rbob93 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-10-2009, 10:32 AM
  4. Battery trade in dfw My Optima for your battery
    By Lucky 13 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 04:33 AM
  5. Recommendations
    By patricksd in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-20-2007, 11:26 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •