Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Need a little help. P0420

This is a discussion on Need a little help. P0420 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Ok I have done the search thing and found tons of info on the P0420 code. Well mine showed up ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member casperss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Waco Ky.
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,329

    White
    2001 SS #3504

    Question Need a little help. P0420

    Ok I have done the search thing and found tons of info on the P0420 code. Well mine showed up today on my 01 SS I had the local parts house clear it and so far it's not came back up after about 60 miles of interstate driving. But my real question here is about the warranty being extended that I read about in some of the threads. I only have 45000 miles on it so with it being an 01 is GM still covering these Cat issues? I plan on calling the local Chevy garage tomarrow but I also want to gain a bit of knowledge on this befor I do so I don't get taken to the cleaners, if you know what I mean. Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    Yep, definitely a cat code.. I just had mine removed and then disabled them in the computer so it wouldn't throw a code. Do you have emission laws in KY?

  3. #3
    Senior Member casperss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Waco Ky.
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,329

    White
    2001 SS #3504

    Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    Yep, definitely a cat code.. I just had mine removed and then disabled them in the computer so it wouldn't throw a code. Do you have emission laws in KY?
    No..... Thank God.

  4. #4
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    So get them removed and get the code deleted! Save yourself the money!

  5. #5
    Senior Member casperss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Waco Ky.
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,329

    White
    2001 SS #3504

    Well to be honest I like the way they sound with the Cats, It has a deeper sound And also this is a DD so I don't want to mess up the gas milage.

  6. #6
    Member squee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Age
    27
    Posts
    952

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

    How the hell would free flowing exhaust "mess up" gas mileage??

  7. #7
    Senior Member casperss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Waco Ky.
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,329

    White
    2001 SS #3504

    WTH seems like everyone on here is getting GM to replace them at no cost. I just talked to the local shop and they told me that there was no such campain or warranty extention. So are they just trying to screw me over or what? Do I need to call another shop?

  8. #8
    Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Henryetta/Tulsa Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,483

    Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by casperss View Post
    WTH seems like everyone on here is getting GM to replace them at no cost. I just talked to the local shop and they told me that there was no such campain or warranty extention. So are they just trying to screw me over or what? Do I need to call another shop?
    Talk to every GM dealer nearby until you find one who knows what they are talking about

  9. #9
    Senior Member casperss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Waco Ky.
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,329

    White
    2001 SS #3504

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang=Breakfast View Post
    Talk to every GM dealer nearby until you find one who knows what they are talking about
    Yea I'm waiting on one to call me back. He said he was swamped at the moment but he would check and return my call.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,725
    Call another dealership, the letter I got extended the 00-02 cars' cat warranty to 10 years/120K in December 2006. If they won't honor it call the 1-800 GM number.

  11. #11
    Senior Member casperss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Waco Ky.
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,329

    White
    2001 SS #3504

    Ok well I just returned from the dealership I have to take the SS to them Monday. Looks like they are going to fix it. The guy at the desk pulled it up on his cpu and told me that it will be covered since it only has 45000 miles. He also stated that they were going to run a back pressure test on it to confirm the problem. Question???? will my shortie headers and magnaflow exhaust effect this test? I'm assuming that they will hook up to it after the Cat "I think" Anyways if they don't fix it the cats are history if I can find somone to delete the rear o2's. I need a new muffler anyways so I might just do LT's with an offroad pipe with a Spin tech muffler. any suggestions on brands of LT's and offroad pipes? Thanks

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,725
    It shouldn't affect their diagnostics - thinking they might try to void the warranty when they see shorty headers though...hopefully they won't.

  13. #13
    Member Z28collection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    chapin,s.c.
    Age
    43
    Posts
    257

    black silver
    99 z28, 81 z28

    exhaust

    im running hooker long tubes, ORY, and an SLP cat back. had that setup on for over a year now and no problems.

  14. #14
    Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Henryetta/Tulsa Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,483

    Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by casperss View Post
    Ok well I just returned from the dealership I have to take the SS to them Monday. Looks like they are going to fix it. The guy at the desk pulled it up on his cpu and told me that it will be covered since it only has 45000 miles. He also stated that they were going to run a back pressure test on it to confirm the problem. Question???? will my shortie headers and magnaflow exhaust effect this test? I'm assuming that they will hook up to it after the Cat "I think" Anyways if they don't fix it the cats are history if I can find somone to delete the rear o2's. I need a new muffler anyways so I might just do LT's with an offroad pipe with a Spin tech muffler. any suggestions on brands of LT's and offroad pipes? Thanks
    Many people will tell you Pacesetter Quik Trip LT's are the way to go. "Best band for your buck" and they are right. I've been looking around for a month now while waiting on the funds, and that seems to be the ticket. I don't know if they are a sponsor, but Texas Speed seems to have the best prices, and cheaper Y-pipes too.

    2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Wifey's Grocery Getter
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

  15. #15
    Senior Member casperss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Waco Ky.
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,329

    White
    2001 SS #3504

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang=Breakfast View Post
    Many people will tell you Pacesetter Quik Trip LT's are the way to go. "Best band for your buck" and they are right. I've been looking around for a month now while waiting on the funds, and that seems to be the ticket. I don't know if they are a sponsor, but Texas Speed seems to have the best prices, and cheaper Y-pipes too.
    Well I have heard bad things on the pacesetter Y pipes, hitting the floor or somthing. anyone had this happen?

  16. #16
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,997

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71


  17. #17
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    I went with the QTP stainless headers earlier this year.. Great headers, great performance.. They come with a $700 something price tag, though..

  18. #18
    Senior Member casperss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Waco Ky.
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,329

    White
    2001 SS #3504

    well I got her back today. Gm covered the Cat at no charge. After looking at the paper work for the warranty I noticed the mechanic wrote that he could not get the o2 sensor out of the pipe but they charged GM for it anyways farther on down the page. do they think someone won't catch that? I did... Geeez

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Regina, SK
    Posts
    11

    Black
    2002 Camaro B4C

    CATS replaced still getting P0420 code ??

    I have 2002 Camaro B4C with 117,000Miles, had codes P0430 and p0420 and had dealer replace both CATs under warranty. Drove the car on the interstate 10 miles, back into stopped traffic, SES light came back on, code reads P0420.. What gives anthing else to kick this code on..

  20. #20
    Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Henryetta/Tulsa Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,483

    Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by badbrad View Post
    I have 2002 Camaro B4C with 117,000Miles, had codes P0430 and p0420 and had dealer replace both CATs under warranty. Drove the car on the interstate 10 miles, back into stopped traffic, SES light came back on, code reads P0420.. What gives anthing else to kick this code on..
    Bad 02 sensors can give faulty codes like that...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. p0420 code help me
    By ws6ws6 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-24-2012, 04:18 AM
  2. Help: P0420
    By Guerrillakilla13 in forum General Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-26-2012, 05:23 PM
  3. P0420 code
    By KahanaReef in forum External Engine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-20-2010, 04:08 PM
  4. P0420 code!
    By bluefields88 in forum General Help
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-08-2010, 08:07 PM
  5. P0420
    By Justin23454 in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2009, 06:19 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •