blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

Need help, wierd electrical gremlin.

Ok guys i have one for us to have some fun with, i have a really wierd electrical problem with the z28 i picked up a couple months ago. i think its two different issues.... im really not sure though

1. the driver window now doesnt work (at all), it rolled up/down fine when i first bought the car but the little panel that house the window and door lock buttons didnt sit on the door all the way, it popped up like four inches. I put some silicone on the underside of it, c-clamped it down for a half day to get it to stay down. After i removed tihe c-clamp the panel stayed down put the driver window wouldnt work at all. the c-clamp was pushing on the button that controls the driver window the entire time the silicone was curing (about four hours) i didnt think it would hurt it because the keys werent in the ignition. I can hear a clicking when i push the button to roll the window down but nothing happens. i think the clicking is the breaker in the fuse box so that means the button is sending out a signal wright? what could i have messed up when siliconing the panel down?

2. sometimes when i first get in the car after its sat for awile or it now happens when i go over a bump sometimes, the window(passenger cause driver never works) and stereo will not work. (no power at all) the doorlocks work but not the window, and it happens with both controls, driver and passenger, also it almost seems like sometimes pressing the doorlocks does something and brings the power back. The power comes back randomly, maybe because of a little bump in the road im really not sure.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I will check for a lose ground 1st. Also check the voltage at the window motor plug. If you get 12v when you activate the window switch then the motor is bad. If you don't have 12v at the plug then check your switches they could be bad or going bad.

Your second is sounds like a lose wire or conection. Check the wires and trace them to the fuse box. Pull the fuse out and check were it sits sometimes the fuse box gets mess up causing a bad contact with the fuse.

Thats a few ideas to get you started.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

ok for the 1st issue....... i pulled apart the window switch and i switched the actual switch itself with one i had in a bunch of f-body parts. and still no go, you can still hear the clicking sound whenever you press the switch, its not coming from the fuse box, it sounds like its coming from behind the radio or somewhere back in there. i pulled out the radio and still can not find whatever is clicking. so im pretty sure the actual switch is ok since both switches produced the same clicking, im trying to find wats clicking to see if thats maybe the problem because i dont hear the clicking whenever i push the passenger window switch, the window just rolls down as it should.

where are the grounds i should check out?

thanks
    Last edited by ggino85; 05-05-2010 at 11:17 AM.

White
    '02 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ggino85 View Post
    Ok guys i have one for us to have some fun with, i have a really wierd electrical problem with the z28 i picked up a couple months ago. i think its two different issues.... im really not sure though

1. the driver window now doesnt work (at all), it rolled up/down fine when i first bought the car but the little panel that house the window and door lock buttons didnt sit on the door all the way, it popped up like four inches. I put some silicone on the underside of it, c-clamped it down for a half day to get it to stay down. After i removed tihe c-clamp the panel stayed down put the driver window wouldnt work at all. the c-clamp was pushing on the button that controls the driver window the entire time the silicone was curing (about four hours) i didnt think it would hurt it because the keys werent in the ignition. I can hear a clicking when i push the button to roll the window down but nothing happens. i think the clicking is the breaker in the fuse box so that means the button is sending out a signal wright? what could i have messed up when siliconing the panel down?

2. sometimes when i first get in the car after its sat for awile or it now happens when i go over a bump sometimes, the window(passenger cause driver never works) and stereo will not work. (no power at all) the doorlocks work but not the window, and it happens with both controls, driver and passenger, also it almost seems like sometimes pressing the doorlocks does something and brings the power back. The power comes back randomly, maybe because of a little bump in the road im really not sure.
    I recall a thread not long back that addressed these problems by fixing a solder connection in the glove box. I don't recall where the connection was made.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

well if you hear clicking and i'm not mistaking that clicking noise is the relay working properly. Pull the door panel out and look for the window motor. Pull the power plug out and using a voltmeter check to see if you are getting 12v at the plug. You check one wire to ground and then the other one. You should get 12v in each wire when you press the switch to the up and dwown position( i think there is 2 wires at the plug, it been a while). If you are then most likely the motor is bad and needs to be replaced.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I think this is the common BCM problem. Here's a good write up on it:

How To Fix Intermittent Windows, Radio and Locks/

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

Ok thanks for the link.....

i got the BCM out and i was just wondering is there a way you can tell if it needs soldering or not? or is it just if your having problems solder it?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

yeah if you look at those solder points pointed out in that link, you might noticed cracked/seperated solder joints on yours

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    yeah if you look at those solder points pointed out in that link, you might noticed cracked/seperated solder joints on yours
    I didnt see anything cracked or seperated but i just added some solder to them anyways, I think maybe my passenger window rolls up a little faster since i added the solder my driver window still doesnt work but i havnt tested the window motor so that could be that issue. Im going for a drive to pic up another SS spoiler so i will see this morning on the drive how the radio and stuff acts.

Thread Information