pewter
    99 Trans Am

Question Need help with truck shutting off .

I have a 93 Jimmy that my wife use to deliver mail out of.Lately it has started quitting when the weather is on the warm side,when it's cool it has no problem going the mail route.My wife have told me that as the truck runs the fuel pump gets louder, I can hear it while idling in the yard but it don't seem that bad. I have another pump that I could put on it but, I would like to get it right the frist time.What do you think. she said that it starts back up after about three to five minutes.I felt like it was the coil,but it only do it when it's warm out side.any help is good help to me.

black
    2002 WS6

It very well could be the fuel pump. If it's getting louder as it gets warmer, it's getting hot. as wild as it sounds when was the fuel filter last replaced?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

get it warm and check the fuel pressure. Those fuel pumps on those trucks are loud anyhow. The one on my 97 sounds like another engine running back there. Get it warm and check the pressure and if it's fine then you can check for spark and that should tell you quite a bit about what's going on.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

My SS fuel pump did the same when it went out...that's how I limped it to my Dad's shop... I drove it til it started hesitating bad, pulled over, waited about 15 minutes, and finished the drive to the shop, barely made it....

my parents' 93 and 98 Jimmy's both did the same or similar, except the 98 was just a bad connector that would shut down when it got too hot.

red
    2002 ss camaro

yep my fuel pump would drop mad pressure when hot it has been replaced and car is back to normal.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    It very well could be the fuel pump. If it's getting louder as it gets warmer, it's getting hot. as wild as it sounds when was the fuel filter last replaced?
    The fuel pump was replaced about 7 months ago.Last year this time it was in need of the centerport setup, now it's who knows what.I will be changing the fuel pump and the coil both I already have.Thanks for the reply.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    get it warm and check the fuel pressure. Those fuel pumps on those trucks are loud anyhow. The one on my 97 sounds like another engine running back there. Get it warm and check the pressure and if it's fine then you can check for spark and that should tell you quite a bit about what's going on.
    I thought about that but my wife said that it be just about the last hour or so before it starts cutting off.,She goes about 55 miles aday dropping off mail so I don't know if I Can get it that hot.She is going from mailbox to box stopping and going, so the engine heats up kind of fast on a hot day.very little cruise speed.May just let it run in the yard and see what it does.don't want to out on the highway and have this to happen and it goes all the way out. Thanks for your reply.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

another thing to check is the "spider" in the intake. I'm not sure on the 93's how they were set up. My 4.3 has the main fuel line that goes down into the upper intake and into the "spider" which then sends fuel to the injectors. Those and the regulator are famous for going out. You can look for a leak by shining a flashlight into the intake seeing if the walls are washed down with fuel.
    Also, the distributor gears are known to wear down on those motors. I know I'm kinda all over the place but they have their share if issues. Does your intake leak coolant? If not you're one of the .99999% that doesn't.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    The fuel pump was replaced about 7 months ago.Last year this time it was in need of the centerport setup, now it's who knows what.I will be changing the fuel pump and the coil both I already have.Thanks for the reply.
    sorry, I missed this post.

Thread Information