flyinpastu

need help with torque arm

ive looked throw all the threads and couldnt find anything on it but i need help

I bought a use TA bracket and bushing off a wrecked ta and it was a bitch getting it off i had to take the back end of the tranny off to get it off not sure how hard or easy its going to be to get it on the camaro so if some one can tell me what im getting into that would be great

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by flyinpastu View Post
    ive looked throw all the threads and couldnt find anything on it but i need help

I bought a use TA bracket and bushing off a wrecked ta and it was a bitch getting it off i had to take the back end of the tranny off to get it off not sure how hard or easy its going to be to get it on the camaro so if some one can tell me what im getting into that would be great
    Put the the rear of the car on jack stands(not on the rear end). Remove the rear end bolt nuts of the torque arm. Try to get the bolts out of the TA. If they are hard to move, put the jack under the rear end and jack the rear end slightly up or down until you can get the bolts out. Once you get the bolts out either get to TA out. Raise or lower the jack until you can get the TA off the rear end. Then just pull the TA off the tranny bushing.

Replace the tranny bushing if it looks bad. Instalation is backwards. Slide the TA in the tranny bushing. Get the TA align into the rear end holes and slide the bolts in. Now the bolts need to be tighten with the suspension loaded. Either drop the car to the ground and slide under to do it. Or put the jack stands on the rear end it self.

flyinpastu
    Wow all that just to put the TA bracket on its on the back of the tranny and the bolts are to big to get in and out to get it off

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by flyinpastu View Post
    Wow all that just to put the TA bracket on its on the back of the tranny and the bolts are to big to get in and out to get it off
    Yeah to get the TA bushing bracket off you have to lower the tranny down some to clear the bolt. Not alot of comfortable room. ratchet wrenches help alot. The rear end needs to be on a jack because the bolts will be pinned down by the tension of the TA. By raising and lowering it you take the tension of the area and the bolts slide out.

Thread Information