Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red
    1999 Camaro SS

Need help pulling motor - broke motor at a road course event

I broke something in the bottom of the motor,,, when I pulled the dip stick to check for coolant in the oil, the stick come out very hard,, the last 4 to 5" is curled up 180 degrees and the last 1/4" is bent over. I am going to have to check the bottom end to determine what is wrong, I think.

I have a '99 with the 6-speed, should I pull the tranny with the motor.

Any tips?
    '99 Camaro SS; 6-spd, LS2 402 stroker short block, PP stage 3 heads, GMS MAF, 244/248 cam, FLP headers, Borla catback, 4.10 gears, LS6 intake, 39#/hr injectors, Pro 5.0 shifter, subframe connectors, Comp Cams 1.85 rr,
    Best ET: 12.23sec (2.000sec 60'), trap spd:117.5mph, with the LS1 engine.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Jeez that sucks man. I wouldn't know where to begin. Does it start/run? Have oil pressure?

red
    1999 Camaro SS

I coasted off the track and stopped, the engine had alreay quit,,, I sat there for about a minute then decided to turn the key. A couple cylinders fired but the engine seemed way out of balance, so i quickly turn the key back off.

With my '87 Camaro, I pull the auto tranny with the motor. Has anyone done this with a 6-speed on an LS1 car?

navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

if you can get it high enough the only way i have ever seen it done is out of the bottom

blue
    1999 camaro ss #976

that is the only way and the correct way to do it. at autozone they have this book call how to build high-performance chevy ls1/ls6 V-8s it cost about 20 bucks or so. but it will tell u how to do it right. good luck on fixing it

red
    1999 Camaro SS

I do not have a car lift at home in order to pull the motor from out the bottom.

Has anyone ever pulled the motor out the top? Can this be done?

navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

i have heard about it being done from the top with the tranny an all but how i dont know.... but i do know as far as time it gives 15.4 hours to pull and relpace it from the bottom that is...good luck man

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I've seen people use an engine hoist to lift the front of the car off the k member in their garage/driveway.

red
    1999 Camaro SS

That was a good suggestion to use the engine hoist to lift the front of the car in order to drop the motor out the bottom.

It seems that I will pull the motor & tranny as a unit out the top. But I am still invetisating doing it from the bottom.

blue,blue
    00 z-28 m6, 06 H3

i would find some one with a lift to help you. out the bottom is the way to go!
    i would think you'd have to take the nose and radiator ect out to come out the top. out the bottom the k member front susp. motor and trans can come as one piece. good luck

Disconnect the tranny. It will come out the top.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I've read people say it's a nightmare going out the top. Good luck.

red
    1999 Camaro SS

Thumbs up

I recently checked the QTP site,,, they have an engine lift plate, and a video showing an engine being pull out of the top with the hood still attached.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

I took my motor out through the bottom and it was soooo easy. There are like 6 bolts holding the k-member on. I took the front wheels off and sat the k-member and motor on rollers then just disconnected all the wires (the hardest part actually!) and the trans crossmember. I used a cheap floor jack to keep the trans supported. After everything's unplugged, i just strapped a chain around the "frame" rails behind the radiator and lifted the front end up using a normal engine hoist. Theres no weight on the front end anymore, so don't worry too much about breaking anything. The whole assembly slid out under the driver side wheelwell because i couldn't get the front high enough. but the whole ordeal took only a few hours and really wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be. There are a few tutorials online somewhere, I just used those as a guide! good luck!

White
    2001 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by camaross19973 View Post
    that is the only way and the correct way to do it. at autozone they have this book call how to build high-performance chevy ls1/ls6 V-8s it cost about 20 bucks or so. but it will tell u how to do it right. good luck on fixing it
    Get this book very detailed info with pics on how to take it out.

red
    1999 Camaro SS

I will buy this book in the next two days. My QTP engine lift plate will be here tomorrow!!!!!

I found part of my engine problem. I removed the starter, and the side of the block in smashed outward from the inside, just above the starter motor. I have about a 1 1/2" hole in the block. I am sure the rotating assembly is history too.

So now its time to investigate LS2 derived short blocks that are compatible with LS1 F-bodies.

navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

same thing happend to me exact same spot and pretty much the same diamater ill post pics tomorrow

red
    1999 Camaro SS

Yea, I'm also assuming that the rotating assembly is toast,,, what else would have knock that hole in the side of the block.

This is going to be very expensive fix. In stead of finding a used LS1, I feel like dropping some big coin on a very big short block from Texas Speed.

navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

here ya go

Red
    2001 SS (M6) #4581

Quote Originally Posted by Doc99SS View Post
    Yea, I'm also assuming that the rotating assembly is toast,,, what else would have knock that hole in the side of the block.

This is going to be very expensive fix. In stead of finding a used LS1, I feel like dropping some big coin on a very big short block from Texas Speed.
    There probly isnt much "Fix" involved with your catastrophe. You are on the right track by thinking of starting over fresh. With that kind of engine failure, there usually isnt much that is salvagable inside. Its possible that it got all the way up into the valvetrain and did damage there as well. Good luck on your repair / replace project.

Thread Information