Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Need help passing emissions in CT

My 99 T/A recently failed emissions in CT because they have instituted a visual inspection and my car does not have cats on it. The guy at the shop said that it is a new law and admitted that he had to put cats back on his car as well. He suggested that I get one high flow cat and have it welded in just after the "Y" in the Y pipe because they just need to see that there is a cat on it. How would you all suggest I take care of this? I want to spend as little money as possible and I do not want any more restrictions on my exhaust. If I had a cat welded in, it would definitely be gutted. Please let me know what you think.

Just FYI, prior to this new law in CT there was no visual inspection and you can pass emissions on 1996+ (OBDII) cars if you SES light is not on and there are no codes being thrown. I have removed all emissions equipment from my car (air pump, egr, cats) but the mechanic only mentioned looking for cats. I've had my tuner delete the codes from my car so it will pass without rear 02's and the other equipment.
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

Blue
    2000 Camaro Z28

Some members on other forums were saying they were tacking up heat shields to make a mock cat... i live in Texas and will have to deal with this issue soon also

GM LeMans/Luxo Blue
    2001 Firebird Formula

I have emissions in Georgia and welded up two shorty high-flow magnafow cats before the y pipe. They look great and didn't really take away anything from the car other then the horrible smell of raw exhaust.

NBM
    2000 WS-6

I've got the FLP LT ORY w/ removable CATs. It's not any help for you, but could help me if they start inspecting here in IL.
    Smasher

2000 WS-6, NBM, BGRA, Clear Lid, Delphi MAF, Bobbit EGR, FLP Long Tubes, SLP Loudmouth, STB, SFC, EradiSpeed rotors, Fire Hawks, and lots of Zaino

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

back in NH I used to buy high flow cats off summitt, they were like 79.99 a couple years ago. Before putting them on i would use a piece of rebar and punch everything out of the inside.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Ortiz11b View Post
    Some members on other forums were saying they were tacking up heat shields to make a mock cat... i live in Texas and will have to deal with this issue soon also

i used to live in CT 2 years ago, the same thing as the OP happened to me,

I did the quoted above and passed, took one of my old cats gutted it and had it tacked to the I pipe.
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

You may also want to put your old rear O2 sensors back in if your Y Pipe has provisions for them, just run the wires up so that it looks like they are hooked up. That was a trick i had to do once as well.

Red
    2001 Z28 Camaro

i live in ct where did you go if you dont mind me asking

Thread Information