pewter
    99 Trans Am

Need help finding rearend for 77 camaro.

I know it's not a Ls1 but I own one so I hope that makes it ok.I have gone on the webb sights of two well known rearend companies and I can't find anything about price, nor do I see anything about the rearend I need.Can someone help me find out what I need to know to get this info.thanks for any help.

What exactly are you looking for? Something aftermarket?

Those rearends are the same from 1970 up to 1981. 1970 Z28,,,SS,,,,and TransAm,,,,,Formula,,,,all used the 12 bolt chevy rearend,,,,standard cars for 1970 got the 8.5 inch 10 bolt rearend.

From 1971 and up they all got the 8.5 inch 10 bolt,,,so the 12 bolt was a one year only rearend for the second gen Fbodies and it was for particular models (as I listed)

It's no sweat at all to find the 8.5 inch 10 bolts for these cars,,,,I have 3-4 of them laying around the shop,,,and I have 1 extra 12 bolt laying around.

The 8.5 inch 10 bolt is a great rearend, with 28 spline axles,,,and 8.5 inch ring gear they can take some abuse. The pinion is the same diameter as the 12 bolt chevy too. These rearends can be upgrades with a 30 spline posi relatively cheap. They have been known to pilot cars well into the 8 second zone (1/4 mile) and live fine. These are easily found in the bone yard from any 70-81 F-body,,,,this is your cheapest and easiest to find alternative,,,as they are plentiful.

If you must have a 12 bolt for this body style,,,,be prepared for a long search and spending some big money,,,,since they generally sell around the $1,000 range,,,,,used!!!

If you must have a 12 bolt,,,,since the used route is expensive and hard to find,,,you may want to give Strange a call,,,,as they do remake this housing for the second generation now,,,,and sell complete for around $2,000

Thread Information