Black
    2000 camaro ss

need help with different engine and vehicle noises.

ive got a 2000 camaro ss with 115k miles. ive been getting these weird noises in different locations.

when i hit speed bumps or dips its clunking in the front end. ive replaced all 4 shocks (slp bilstein) and springs (slp eibach) and ive replaced the 2 front strut mounts.
    what is this noise? - YouTube

im getting a squeaky sound at start up and when i kill it.
    2000 camaro start up and shut down noise/squeak - YouTube

also when at low idle (800-1000rpms) maybe the same problem as above. i saw that another guy just posted a similar video with pretty much the exact same sound but my a/c isnt on so im not sure if its the same problem.
    low idle noise - YouTube

and also i hear like a ticking coming from my front right brake at high speeds. it goes away when i apply the brakes.

and lastly im getting a whomp, whomp sound coming from the right side. i cant tell if its from the front or back but it gets louder and faster the faster i drive.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Your car is just talking to you, that's all. How about sway bar end links up front? Remove your drive belt and spin all the pulleys by hand, that should help you track that down. If your belt is old and worn it may just need replaced. Inspect the front caliper and see if the pad has separated from the backing plate. I have heard of bolts backing out and things becoming loose too.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

In addition to what Jeff said go back over all the bolts and make sure none have broken off or back off. Definitely check the brake caliber and pads.

Black
    2000 camaro ss

thanks for in the input! ill check all the bolts, ect on the caliper.my car randomly started over heating today (i think it was just air in the system) so as i was trying to "bleed" the air out,the belt
    fell off! thats the second time its done that.... so i tested all the pulleys, the alternator seems to be the culprit for all the noise but im not sure if its inside the alt or just the pulley??
    call me crazy but along with the noise i hear when starting (which could be the alternator pulley) im hearing some noise underneath the car! like behind the tranny-ish area.
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Your car is just talking to you, that's all. How about sway bar end links up front? Remove your drive belt and spin all the pulleys by hand, that should help you track that down. If your belt is old and worn it may just need replaced. Inspect the front caliper and see if the pad has separated from the backing plate. I have heard of bolts backing out and things becoming loose too.

Black
    2000 camaro ss

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Belt fell off? Your tensioner must be shot or something has a huge wobble in it. A loose belt would explain both the noise and overheating issue.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

The "whomp, whomp" noise you hear could be an out of round tire. You're going to have to jack up the front and spin that tire and see if there is a high spot or a bald spot. Also be careful as an out of round tire could have exposed steel cords that hurt when they stick you. If not the front, jack up the rear end with the front wheels chocked and spin the right rear tire and check for the same thing. Either side tire should look egg shaped if out of round.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Squeaking alternator is usually internal. The bearing inside is failing.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ This. Swap it out as you don't want that to seize up and toss the belt... again.

Black
    2000 camaro ss

thanks again for all the replies.. cammed goat- ive got brand new tires and shocks and i was getting the noise before i put new tires on.
    ive narrowed the front end noise down to the sway bar end links.. they are pretty much just hanging there so i ordered energy suspension endlink kit for the front. comes in tomorrow.
    the noise i hear when starting up and accelerating is the exhaust. one of the hangers broke. easy fix.
    i checked the front caliper through the tire and it seems to have a little play in it, when i do the endlinks tomorrow ill inspect and tighten bolts if needed.
    seems as though im gonna have to replace the alternator i guess, better now then if it seizes.
    now for the noise i hear at faster speeds?! maybe diff? or u joints? heres a video.
    and for the overheating, it seems to do fine while driving but when stopped i was at about 224 degrees f. my gauge doesnt seem to work, its pretty much always at about 210 but i have an app on my phone that
    connects to a bluetooth adapter that tells me the temp. on the freeway its about 194 degrees but over 210 when stopped which 210 is fine but 220+??

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Okay. Keep us posted on what you find with the front end. Inspect your front swaybar bushings and lower control arms as well as the lower ball joints to make sure they are tight. As for the overheating, try running the car with the rad cap off to burp any air out of the system. But I think 220 is normal. I could be wrong. As for the rear, are you getting any vibrations? It could be rear tires or the pinion about to say saiyonara. I know that sound all too well.

Black
    2000 camaro ss

Yes I am getting a lot of vibration. Like I said, the tires are new but it did do it before I put new tires on.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Then it's the pinion bearing allowing the pinion gear to wobble around inside the rear end. It's toast.

Black
    2000 camaro ss

ok so the front end noise is gone! it was the swaybar endlinks. the rattle and noise in the rear was broken muffle bracket (fixed). front squeak is the alternator (pending). rear whomping is either ujoints or pinion bearing (pending) and the brake noise i believe is the parking brake pads (pending). will update when i get the rear end looks at.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Ok. Keep us updated.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

2 down, 3 to go. Good work!

Thread Information