black
    98 Formula

Need help chasing squeek

I've had a slight squeeking sound from the motor for a while driving at 2500rpm range. After going out with the club yesterday it now squeeks once leeving idle range. I've already ruled out the tensioner, pulleys, belt, and ballencer. There is no noise at idle. Is there anything in the emissions system that could do this or should i start looking at internal bearings?
    Any advice is apreciated, Thanks
    Kooks LT's and ORY, Borla catback, BBK 80mm TB, SLP bellows, Granatelli MAF, MSD coils & wires, NGK plugs, Strange 12-bolt 373, Spohn front and rear sway bars, UMI torque arm, LCA's & SFC's, Hotchkis strutt tower brace & springs, Koni SA's, PI 3200 converter, Trans Go shift kit, B&M trans cooler

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Sure its coming from the motor? Motor mount, tranny mount or u joints?
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

black
    98 Formula

Trany mount is only 4 month's old. Did think about motor mount though. With the car parked it continues to squeek holding a steady rpm so i kind of dismissed that thought, could that still be a possibility?

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

As far as it being an internal problem i wouldnt think so, i would first check out every possiblity on the outside, ie mounts, pulleys, and so forth, might even have to get it into the air and take a look. Could be anything from exhaust hanger to mouter mount. Just gotta play the search and eliminate game.
    J

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Probably the A/C compressor. I have, I'm assuming, a very similar squeak when I am right at 2100 - 2300rpm. I have replaced all tensioners, belts and pulleys. The only other one there is the A/C.

Try driving around with A/C on and then A/C off and see if you notice a difference. Too bad compressors are so much money otherwise mine would have been replaced already.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

black
    98 Formula

Nope, Ac quit a long time ago and that belt's been hanging on my garage wall for a few years. Goin over my buddys house tonight to look at it. He's thinkin it sounds like a spun bearing from what i'm explaining to him. Big OUCH if he's right.

black
    98 Formula

Ok, My buddy doesn't feel that the sound is internal. We think we narrowed it down to the driver side of the motor, sounding strongest by the back two cylinders. We opened up the valve covers and everything seems to be ok in there. Found that the header bolts had loosened up, tightened and re-assembled. No change. Possibly a crack in the header?

Also the sound seems to be connected to acceleration. Squeeks when accererating, goes away when holding constant speed w/little gas. Also squeeks decelerating, just not as bad.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

did you feel around the collector on that side to make something isn't touching the header? There are 2 smaller heat shields that fasten to the firewall right there. Make sure they aren't touching the header. I would look at that motor mount too, it's right in that vacinity also. Spray it down with something and see if it goes away. Do your headers have emmissions on them? Could be the a.i.r. system hose their leaking a little or something. Those have been known to dry out. Just things to check.

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

I had the bird chirping sound under my hood, still comes back from time to time. It's a pulley issue spray a little WD and it stops for a while. Need to replace all the pulleys and I hope it will stop for good. Replaced the tensioner and belt but still does it every now and again.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

did you guys rule out a valvespring?

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

I did, if I spray the lower pully mine will stop for a little while, sometimes for days.

black
    98 Formula

Going to check out that header and everything else arround it tomorrow night. Pulleys have been ruled out, noise is still there when running without the belt on. Heads looked ok when i had'em open last night, no metal particles and looked good when cranking the motor.

Thanks for the input guys, hope if find something wrong w/that header. I'll take any more ideas in the meantime.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    Going to check out that header and everything else arround it tomorrow night. Pulleys have been ruled out, noise is still there when running without the belt on. Heads looked ok when i had'em open last night, no metal particles and looked good when cranking the motor.

Thanks for the input guys, hope if find something wrong w/that header. I'll take any more ideas in the meantime.
    A mouse or squirrel trapped inside your washer solvent jug?

I'm sorry, I'm just clueless on what it could be. Best of luck to you!

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Lol priceless, i live on fort bragg and the squrrils around here are just amazing.
    like said above, check the collector and any clamps, also check out the y pipe and connections.
    J

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Lol priceless, i live on fort bragg and the squrrils around here are just amazing.
    like said above, check the collector and any clamps, also check out the y pipe and connections.
    J
    They are probably the size of a house cat!

From my days at Michigan State and Central Michigan, the squirrels would come right up to you and eat out of your hand, and by the size of them, you werent the only one who was feeding them. Huge bastards.

Sorry for thread jacking, I will stop now.

black
    98 Formula

Good Friday night so far, only been at it for a hour and a half found driver header gasket is blown and some metal particles in the passenger side head. Gona order up new motor mounts while i'm at it. Any recomendation on polly or solid mounts?

Thread Information