NEED HELP, car will not start

This is a discussion on NEED HELP, car will not start within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; OK, my car is a '98 TA with 30K. I washed it on Sunday and pulled it back into the ...

Bright Purple Metallic

Exclamation NEED HELP, car will not start

OK, my car is a '98 TA with 30K. I washed it on Sunday and pulled it back into the garage (did not wash the engine bay). I tried to start it this morning but it will not start. The starter is cranking over but that is it. I tried my other set of keys when I got home and do not see any issues with the passkey. So, I am thinking it is either the fuel pump or the fuel filter. The filter has never been changed.

What could be the problem? Is there a way to check the fuel pump is not the problem?

black
    2002 WS6

Yeap, get a fuel pressure gauge and connect ot the fuel rail and see what happens, you need one for fuel injection btw. IF the fuel filter has yet to be changed, might as well do it.

Also check the relays the can let go with out warning.

Pewter
    2000 T/A WS-6

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    Yeap, get a fuel pressure gauge and connect ot the fuel rail and see what happens, you need one for fuel injection btw. IF the fuel filter has yet to be changed, might as well do it.

Also check the relays the can let go with out warning.
    +1^ I had a similar problem but mine would occasionally start. Long story short GM put in fuel pump and did not fix my problem, ended up being relay so I got new pump w/lifetime warranty and a new relay all for the dealers cost of pump (good deal) any way thats my story. good luck to you.

blue/silver
    87 camaro ls1

do a fuel press test if ok then check for spark if you have both then pull an injector plug and hook up a noid light (cheap tool at parts store) to see if you have injector pulse. let me know what the results are

fuel press should be about 35-45 psi at key on engine off and should maintain if it drops check the regulator if it doesn't rise or is slow to build press then check the relay before replacing the pump also change the filter if the relay checks out.

ps. use a light up spark checker (inline style) the spark will light you up bad on dis systems

red
    0235thanv

Fuse??

I would think you can atleast hear the pump coming on!! Anyways, I pulled my instument fuse tonight testing my halo red lights i installed in my headlights ,and i noticed that with that fuse pulled the one that controls the auto headlights !!!My car would not start !!it cranked ,but wouldnt start!!Figured ide share just incase Fuse??

White
    2000 Trans AM

Check the relay 1st. Also its easy to see if you have fuel pressure by checking the rails. My luck it was the relay and never had to go any further.

Bright Purple Metallic

OK, here is what I have checked out:
    Fuel Pump Fuse: Good
    Fuel Pump Relay: Replaced
    Checked for Fuel Pressure: 50 PSI when I turned the key one click (used guage)
    Injector Fuses (2): Good

So what is the problem. It seemed like it wanted to turn over with ether but, I have not gotten it to start.

black
    2002 WS6

Next thing is if you are getting fuel (pull a plug and see if it is wet), check for spark, starting with the ignition fuses both in the dash and under the hood.

Bright Purple Metallic

I got it working. I swapped the Starter and IGN relay and bingo.......good as new. Not sure exactly what the issue was. could have been some corrosion build up on the contacts of the relays prongs.

Thanks for all of your help. $60 bucks and some info goes a long way. Sure beats the ~$400 for a new fuel pump.

Pewter
    2000 T/A WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by 98 Purple TA View Post
    I got it working. I swapped the Starter and IGN relay and bingo.......good as new. Not sure exactly what the issue was. could have been some corrosion build up on the contacts of the relays prongs.

Thanks for all of your help. $60 bucks and some info goes a long way. Sure beats the ~$400 for a new fuel pump.
    Good deal, glad to hear its fixed.

Thread Information