Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Need help!

This is a discussion on Need help! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Sure hope you don't have to go cutting up quarter panels for a TD....

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Sure hope you don't have to go cutting up quarter panels for a TD.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow644 View Post
    Do you have any pictures of the turn signals and how tough is emissions there?
    Here's my Camaro. The UK spec, fender turn signals are just above the SS badge, the rear turn signals, as you'll know, are amber from the factory.

The emission requirements for my car over here are:

Fast idle test, one minute reading at a minimum 2,500 and a maximum 3,000 rpm

Maximum limit of co2 is 0.200% My car's reading with stock manifolds and cats was 0.088%

Maximum limit of Hydrocarbons is 200 ppm vol. My car's reading was 0

Lambda has a minimum limit of 0.970 and a maximum limit of 1.030 My car's reading was 1.006

Natural idle test, one minute reading at a minimum 450 and a maximum 1,500 rpm

Only co2 was measured, the limit is 0.300% My car's reading was 0.288

Here in the UK, providing your car meets emission requirements appropriate for year of manufacture, you can run just about anything. All our emission tests are interested in, is what comes out at the tail pipes.

So if your car can meet these requirements, you can even run full length headers and no cats, but I must stress; only if it meets requirements.

If you want any more information, let me know.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

is that test conducted annually or one time only?

Black
    99 SS clone M6

the easiest thing i can think of you can do is buy a couple 194 bulbs, the ones that usually go in your side marker lites, and buy two 194 bulb wiring harnesses, then tap a hole into the back of the reverse light housing and stuff an amber 194 bulb in there. kinda like what cops do when they add strobes to a sidemarker light (drill a hole in the housing to fit a bulb and the bulb socket with wiring) simply splice off the factory turn signals and then youll have small amber 194 side marker lite bulbs flashing inside your reverse lights. thats what i would do. keeps your reverse lites too.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    is that test conducted annually or one time only?
    It's annually. There was talk earlier this year, of bringing the UK into line with the rest of Europe and having it every 2 years. I believe that got canned. It's typical how stuff that would benefit the people never gets to see the light of day.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Do you have any pictures of the turn signals and how tough is emissions there?
    This whole thing sounds like a pain in the ass I think I would put the TA in the garage instead of cutting,rewiring ,or adding lights to the fenders pick something up over there beat the balls off it and leave it there when you come home....not sure how long you are there but Thank you for your service....

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by SS Camaro UK View Post
    Here's my Camaro. The UK spec, fender turn signals are just above the SS badge, the rear turn signals, as you'll know, are amber from the factory.
    Click for full size

The emission requirements for my car over here are:

Fast idle test, one minute reading at a minimum 2,500 and a maximum 3,000 rpm

Maximum limit of co2 is 0.200% My car's reading with stock manifolds and cats was 0.088%

Maximum limit of Hydrocarbons is 200 ppm vol. My car's reading was 0

Lambda has a minimum limit of 0.970 and a maximum limit of 1.030 My car's reading was 1.006

Natural idle test, one minute reading at a minimum 450 and a maximum 1,500 rpm

Only co2 was measured, the limit is 0.300% My car's reading was 0.288

Here in the UK, providing your car meets emission requirements appropriate for year of manufacture, you can run just about anything. All our emission tests are interested in, is what comes out at the tail pipes.

So if your car can meet these requirements, you can even run full length headers and no cats, but I must stress; only if it meets requirements.

If you want any more information, let me know.
    Do you think these would work for the quarter panel turn signals Buy Now! | Antique, Classic Car and Truck Wireless, Removable, LED Turn Signals and Hazard Lights because I really don't want to drill holes in my car...

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Do you think these would work for the quarter panel turn signals Buy Now! | Antique, Classic Car and Truck Wireless, Removable, LED Turn Signals and Hazard Lights because I really don't want to drill holes in my car...
    Only one problem they are a magnet there is no metal on your body other than hood(if stock) and hatch..you could look for something not as balky and use 3M tape..clean it good and they will stick

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I really don't want to drill holes in my car...
    Please don't.

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    Only one problem they are a magnet there is no metal on your body other than hood(if stock) and hatch..
    What if you used another magnet on the back side? Or taped a piece of steel behind the quarter panel? Then, the magnet would hold everything in place.

Black

That's what I was thinking, as long as those would work, I don't know if they would allow it being that it is separate for the actual turn signal switch.

Those won't work because the fender isn't magnetic and I'm not sure that they would be acceptable for the UK.

I fully understand not wanting to drill holes in your car, but there may be a solution. I've remembered that a friend of mine has a V6 convertible Firebird and his side turn signals are fitted to the grilles in the vents in his fenders. I don't know if these grilles are a removable item or not, but if they are, you could get them installed there and put in a new grille when you get your car back home.

I hope this helps.

Black

Did he put the lights behind them or on them? and they can come out fairly easy

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

This whole thing sounds like a pain in the ass I think I would put the TA in the garage instead of cutting,rewiring ,or adding lights to the fenders pick something up over there beat the balls off it and leave it there when you come home....not sure how long you are there but Thank you for your service....
    I agree with this 100%..

It looks to me like you could do all these goofy light mods and then not pass UK emissions and have to either park it, store it, and forget it or throw a bunch of money @ it to get it up to snuff.

Then turn around and ship it home and be stuck with all these goofy mods.

IMHO not worth it for only a 24 month tour.

Just my .02
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Did he put the lights behind them or on them?
    The lights are actually on the grille (the one above the side molding).

and they can come out fairly easy
    That's good, you can return it to US spec afterwards.

Is your car modded at all?

Black

Could you get any pictures of it? And yes RPS clutch, RPM six speed transmission, zo6 intake, high flow throttle body, American racing long tube headers, nothing exterior though.

This is exactly what I would do

Could you get any pictures of it?
    I'll try and see my friend this weekend and get a shot of them.

And yes RPS clutch, RPM six speed transmission, zo6 intake, high flow throttle body, American racing long tube headers, nothing exterior though.
    Are you running with or without cats? Either way, I think you should get an emissions reading from your car as it is now and be certain it is within the limits I posted earlier in the thread.

I've just noticed that you're from Florida, if your car has spent all its life there, you may have to prepare it for the snowy and icy conditions on our roads in winter time. You also need to be aware that the authorities put salt and grit on the roads when conditions get like this. If your car is anything like Jeff's on the underside, one salty British winter will ruin that.

Please don't think I'm trying to put you off, I'm just putting you in the picture of what to expect. I would hate for you to ruin your car over here if someone back home can take care of it.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Look up member Vikingramair for pics of the tail light signals. He has a pic of the back of his car in his album.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information